Help for a friend, PC won't boot with m2 ssd installed

mello4evr
Go to solution Solved by bmx6454,
3 minutes ago, mello4evr said:

would you mind linking that thread?

like i said, similar build, not identical. but i found alot of people with this issue with the wd's, and bios update, and messing with the csm setting seemed to do it.

Hey LTT community,

My friend recently built his first PC, and he is having issues with the m2 ssd. 

Here is his build:

He was stuck at the ASUS splash screen (press f2 or Del to enter BIOS)  and unable to get to BIOS. After isolating each component it was determined that the m2 ssd was the source of the problem.

PC would post and get to BIOS if ssd was removed, and could even start the Windows 10 install process with a boot drive. 

Is this the result of a faulty ssd? Compatibility problems? 

For reference, he made a reddit post yesterday with some additional detail: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/fzi11v/help_green_light_on_motherboard_no_boot/

most motherboards have it so that if you are using m.2 slot 1 or 2, certain sata ports can't be used, and vice versa. did you check the motherboards manual and see if there is any conflict there?

No SATA ports are being used, the m2 SSD is the only installed drive.

1 minute ago, mello4evr said:

No SATA ports are being used, the m2 SSD is the only installed drive.

i did a little digging, and found someone with a similar pc build, and exact same ssd. what supposedly fixed the issue for them was a bios update, i would likely try that next

3 minutes ago, mello4evr said:

would you mind linking that thread?

like i said, similar build, not identical. but i found alot of people with this issue with the wd's, and bios update, and messing with the csm setting seemed to do it.