USB 3 ports only recognized as USB 2.0

Hello all, 

First post ever! Unfortunately it's not a good one. I recently built a Ryzen 3700x system with an ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WIFI), this is my first AMD build and I love it, unfortunately while trying to use my Oculus Quest via Link I came across a problem, none of my USB ports are showing up as USB 3. I used USBDeview to check this:

120225220_2020-04-13(2).png.eb69197c31464255fdd89b585ce50fcd.png

I've uninstalled the USB Controllers through the Device Manager, reinstalled, tried to update them with no luck

1141365539_Annotation2020-04-13125157.png.c890744c19507b97572715fd4c980a43.png1399125117_Annotation2020-04-13125308.png.9f559a68a9a3f9092c7ac205c6070e77.png858673757_Annotation2020-04-13125253.png.d625699dd157f203d81a33ffdef2df01.png

I then updated my Chipset and BIOS to the latest version and even went into the bios and turned off USB Legacy Mode, turned off the "disconnect USB power in soft mode" as well, still nothing

1718078993_2020-04-13(3).png.29d59c37d2e8ac61f20fbbe401fa6a51.png

I'm hoping that someone on here has maybe some idea as to what I can try next because I am wits end, maybe I'm overlooking something very simple? Thanks in advance!

Hi Perrin, thanks for the reply, my front Panel is connected properly and Im using the rear USB 3 ports on the MOBO right now 

Possibly useless and might be wrong but I have a few thoughts anyway:

There are multiple sections of the USB chain.  There’s the motherboard header, the cable between the motherboard and case header, the cable between the machine and the object, and there’s the object.  It’s not impossible I suppose that having one of these devices as USB2 could possibly force the entire system to default to USB2.  Stupid, but not necessarily impossible.  It might also be a setting somewhere.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Ugh that would be a kick in the butt if that were the case, I wonder what would happen if I unplugged the front USB ports.....just as an experiment Im not using them at the moment anywa

2 minutes ago, annogen said:

Ugh that would be a kick in the butt if that were the case, I wonder what would happen if I unplugged the front USB ports.....just as an experiment Im not using them at the moment anywa

Dunno.  My move would be to go through everything and find any stuff that is USB2.  Cables especially.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

ok thanks Ill try that and see if it helps any, thanks again!

1 minute ago, annogen said:

ok thanks Ill try that and see if it helps any, thanks again!

Heh.  Might might not.  There’s also settings.  One obnoxiousness is it could be a setting you never changed yourself.  Merely plugging in something might auto flip it.

yea unfortunately that didnt change anything

2 hours ago, annogen said:

First post ever! Unfortunately it's not a good one. I recently built a Ryzen 3700x system with an ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WIFI), this is my first AMD build and I love it, unfortunately while trying to use my Oculus Quest via Link I came across a problem, none of my USB ports are showing up as USB 3.

Make sure that you're using a USB 3.0 Port and a USB 3.0 Cable, here's also another note from their troubleshooting page

"The charging cable that came with your Quest won't work with the Oculus link software. The Quest charging cable is USB 2 while Oculus Link requires a USB 3 cable that can support both power and data. "

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

thanks Syn, yea I've been using their recommended cables which was an Anker cable with an active extender, I've tried multiple cables that I know are fast enough on my laptop and they work so theres clearly something going on on my mobo, I'm going to try a PCI-E card soon and see if that helps otherwise I might just try to RMA this mobo 

• 3 years later...