Home VPS Company

I got a lot of used hardware lying around along with not a lot but a decent amount of knowledge in managing servers to host things from websites to game servers. I was wondering if it would be worth while to set up my used hardware as servers for people to rent and host their game server or website. I feel pretty confident I can learn how to set it up but my main concern is the internet. At my home I get 220 mbps down, 11 mbps up, with a latency of 14ms. Starting off I plan on having 3 machines running as servers along with partitioning each server into multiple smaller servers. Would my upload speed be a problem for doing this and if so how much does one usually need for this kind of thing? Would it just be better to get a bigger dedicated server from a small provider and partition that off and resell it? I would really prefer option one because if something goes wrong I have more control in fixing things while the second option I am at the mercy of the provider.

A home connection is never good enough for commercial use, not necessarily when it comes to speed, but reliability and stability. In your case, the Upload is

already not enough when you think about a few websites hosting even normal sized images. Take a 5MB image and spread it over 3 websites with and let each image be accessed by 1 Person per website and it already takes 8-12s to load that single image.

Being at the mercy of a provider is a valid concern, especially if you really host something to resell, but think about electricity. How much would electricity cost you and how much do you even get from reselling it. And how many people can you resell it to, which aren't many. If you want to host and resell websites or a vps, get a colocation, but never use old hardware and host it at home.

TL;DR: Don't host commercial stuff on a home connection. Any rented $5 vps is better for that and costs less money, especially whe it comes to electricity cost.

Gaming Rig: Ryzen 9 5950x | 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz | XFX Reference 6800 XT | MSI Unify X570 | Corsair MP600 2TB, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | bequiet 850W Straight Power 11

Server: Ryzen 5 3600 | 4x32GB DDR4 ECC 2400MHz | Asrock Rack X470D4U | Samsung EVO Plus 250GB, 6x Seagate Exos 8TB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB | bequiet 550W Straight Power 11

unless you got 1gbit/s up and down you can forget about it, you wont be able to offer any kind of competitive price that would make it worth it for people to rent from you.

Same goes for reselling a server from someone else, why would anyone pay you a premium to rent a server from an unknown untrusted person when they can just rent it directly from established providers?

To even consider renting anything from you not even looking at the price i would need from you:

• a separate IPV4 address for my server
  • guaranteed 100mbit/s up and down just for my server
  • automatic backups to other systems
  • UPS for the Server and for everything connecting the server to the Internet (this is something you can not even do at home as you have no control about anything beside your router)
  • registered company that sends real invoices
  • All servers housed in a Bulgar proof and fire proof building (basically a data center) as data protection doesnt exist if someone has access to the server physically.

On 4/13/2020 at 4:55 AM, SkinnyPete1 said:

I got a lot of used hardware lying around along with not a lot but a decent amount of knowledge in managing servers to host things from websites to game servers. I was wondering if it would be worth while to set up my used hardware as servers for people to rent and host their game server or website. I feel pretty confident I can learn how to set it up but my main concern is the internet. At my home I get 220 mbps down, 11 mbps up, with a latency of 14ms. Starting off I plan on having 3 machines running as servers along with partitioning each server into multiple smaller servers. Would my upload speed be a problem for doing this and if so how much does one usually need for this kind of thing? Would it just be better to get a bigger dedicated server from a small provider and partition that off and resell it? I would really prefer option one because if something goes wrong I have more control in fixing things while the second option I am at the mercy of the provider.

I don't really understand you people "don't wanna be in the mercy of providers". You really think you can match the skill set the provider has? if your server goes down they will fix it probably before you know it's down. In a real life scenaro of self hosting you will be high tempo and high temp trying to fix the one server that is down to get stuff up and running. While it does sound luxerious. Trust me it is not. You'll literally be sitting standby 24/7 365 waiting for something to go wrong.

And i can tell you this is the truth because i do it myself. Not as a service people can pay for. But as a part of my own freelancing.

11 up is going to be brutal, especially when you aren't in any sort of blended DC.

Abort mission if you're thinking of profit.

If you just want to set one up for fun that might be worth the electricity as a learning experience.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

You can barely host some websites or game servers. Rent them the price of electricity with no guarantee to friends only, for non critical workloads