Refresh rate

Kalmar94

Hey guys, I bought this Dell monitor (https://www.dell.com/lt/business/p/dell-se2419hr-monitor/pd) just recently. I thought it was a good deal on paper because of its low cost, IPS display, FHD and 75 hz refresh rate, which is more than enough for me. However, am encountering some problems with setting the display's refresh rate to 75 hz. In windows settings it will only let me set the refresh rate up to 60 hz at FHD, unless I reduce the resolution to 1600x900 or lower. That's a bummer, because the reason I bought this display was its refresh rate.

Is it possible to "tweak" it somehow, or that's just the way it is, and if so, why'd it be possible to have 75 hz refresh rate at 1600x900, but not at 1920x1080?

Thank you all in advance and I apologize if this topic is in the wrong section, am new here. :)

What's your GPU and how are you connecting to the monitor? The monitor has HDMI 1.4, so it should be able to do 75 Hz at 1080p.

8 minutes ago, Kalmar94 said:

why'd it be possible to have 75 hz refresh rate at 1600x900, but not at 1920x1080?

Higher resolutions and higher refresh rates require higher bandwidth to drive them. HDMI 1.4 has a maximum bandwidth of 10.2 Gbps. 1920x1080@75 Hz requires 4.67 Gbps, 1600x900@75 Hz requires 3.24 Gbps. Which means both should be supported by HDMI 1.4. So the question would be if your GPU has HDMI 1.4 or something older.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Did you install the driver and utility?

Just checked with your monitors manual. 

That display does not support 75 hz at 1080p. It also does not say it does, it says it supports up to 75 hz. That's marketing language.

Look at the table from the manual:

image.png.57636b1f99dac437946b492730596736.png

But like I've mentioned above, install Dells Display Manager Utility and the driver and then see if you can change it then. Also make sure you are connecting via HDMI or Display Port. According to some other local vendors people seem to be able to run it at 75 hz at 1080p.

33 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

What's your GPU and how are you connecting to the monitor? The monitor has HDMI 1.4, so it should be able to do 75 Hz at 1080p.

Higher resolutions and higher refresh rates require higher bandwidth to drive them. HDMI 1.4 has a maximum bandwidth of 10.2 Gbps. 1920x1080@75 Hz requires 4.67 Gbps, 1600x900@75 Hz requires 3.24 Gbps. Which means both should be supported by HDMI 1.4. So the question would be if your GPU has HDMI 1.4 or something older.

I use Radeon RX 570 8GB GPU, monitor is connected to my PC via DVI-D to HDMI cable, should I just use regular HDMI? Could that solve the problem?

33 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Did you install the driver and utility?

Just checked with your monitors manual. 

That display does not support 75 hz at 1080p. It also does not say it does, it says it supports up to 75 hz. That's marketing language.

Look at the table from the manual:

image.png.57636b1f99dac437946b492730596736.png

This table does not say it supports 75hz @ 1600x900, yet I can set it to 75 hz, so not sure if the table is accurate.

26 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

But like I've mentioned above, install Dells Display Manager Utility and the driver and then see if you can change it then. Also make sure you are connecting via HDMI or Display Port. According to some other local vendors people seem to be able to run it at 75 hz at 1080p.

I will try with the drivers now, thank you. :)

10 minutes ago, Kalmar94 said:

I use Radeon RX 570 8GB GPU, monitor is connected to my PC via DVI-D to HDMI cable, should I just use regular HDMI? Could that solve the problem?

Single-link DVI-D has a maximum bandwidth of 3.96 Gbps, which is enough for the 3.24 Gbps required for 1600x900@75 Hz but not enough for 1080p, which would require 4.67 Gbps. So yeah, there's a good chance HDMI would solve that issue.

7 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Single-link DVI-D has a maximum bandwidth of 3.96 Gbps, which is enough for the 3.24 Gbps required for 1600x900@75 Hz but not enough for 1080p, which would require 4.67 Gbps. So yeah, there's a good chance HDMI would solve that issue.

Thank you very much. I'll use the HDMI instead if that's the case.

One last thing, now that I have HDMI connected to both PC and display, the display is giving me "No HDMI signal from your devic" error. It is connected properly, I've got no clue what to do. 

18 minutes ago, Kalmar94 said:

Thank you very much. I'll use the HDMI instead if that's the case.

One last thing, now that I have HDMI connected to both PC and display, the display is giving me "No HDMI signal from your devic" error. It is connected properly, I've got no clue what to do. 

Might be the port on the GPU is damaged. If it has more than one HDMI port try a different one. And maybe try a different cable as well.

On some monitors you need to go into the menu with the buttons on the monitor itself and select the input source.

7 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

On some monitors you need to go into the menu with the buttons on the monitor itself and select the input source.

Already tried that. Display gives me 3 options - HDMI, VGA or AUTO. Nothing seemed to work. Tried all combinations.

HDMI cable is brand new (came with the monitor itself) and working, as for the damaged ports, both PC and monitor are brand new, so it is rather unlikely that this might be causing the issue.

Is there a software solution, like is there a specific driver that absolutely has to be installed before connecting via HDMI?

I had installed Win 10 just a week ago, and downloaded a bunch of drivers and everything worked flawlessly so far. 

Really want to get that 75hz to work, my PC specs allow me to play most video games on FHD high/ultra high settings at 60+ FPS, would be such a shame to stay locked at 60. :/

Which 570 do you have?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch