Need suggestions for a PSU at High FPS

itsdres
Go to solution Solved by seon123,
52 minutes ago, Pikatchu said:

EVGA G+,

They had issues with an ACRF PSU, so you suggest them... The same model, but fully modular...

50 minutes ago, MartinKweh said:

agreed since higher wattage capacity PSU tends to not get stressed as much since you will most likely not hit its max capacity

It has more likely to do with the topology on the primary side being ACRF, rather than a higher end, like half bridge + LLC. You would be more likely to have coil whine on e.g. a G5 750W than a Formula 450W.

58 minutes ago, itsdres said:

I suppose $250 or less.

Where are you buying from? The availability and pricing will vary

Maybe someone will read this about Computer knowledge, I just bought a brand new 5700 XT Nitro Sapphire, and I upgraded to a new 750W Gold EVGA G5, when I installed both these together, the system runs fine at 60fps, But since I own a 165hz monitor, whenever I run games at 165FPS, the back of the PSU, makes a loud buzzing noise, Yes "Coil Whine" and Yes, its the PSU, Yes, I've narrowed it down, I just wanted a suggested PSU to buy and use at High Frame Rates, I keep hearing people say "No Problem here, Same PSU" but no one mentions under what FPS they are using the PSU, at 60, Its fine, anything past 70, It gets louder and louder. Maybe I should link my entire system build as well? I ordered another EVGA PSU, same one, 750w G5 gold, and when I plugged it in, It made the same noise at high frames, So I just returned it.

Asrock X570 Steel Legend Motherboard

3200 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB

R5 3600

5700 XT Nitro Sapphire

Samsung Evo 970 Plus 500MB

10 minutes ago, itsdres said:

Maybe someone will read this about Computer knowledge, I just bought a brand new 5700 XT Nitro Sapphire, and I upgraded to a new 750W Gold EVGA G5, when I installed both these together, the system runs fine at 60fps, But since I own a 165hz monitor, whenever I run games at 165FPS, the back of the PSU, makes a loud buzzing noise, Yes "Coil Whine" and Yes, its the PSU, Yes, I've narrowed it down, I just wanted a suggested PSU to buy and use at High Frame Rates, I keep hearing people say "No Problem here, Same PSU" but no one mentions under what FPS they are using the PSU, at 60, Its fine, anything past 70, It gets louder and louder. Maybe I should link my entire system build as well? I ordered another EVGA PSU, same one, 750w G5 gold, and when I plugged it in, It made the same noise at high frames, So I just returned it.

Asrock X570 Steel Legend Motherboard

3200 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB

R5 3600

5700 XT Nitro Sapphire

Samsung Evo 970 Plus 500MB

you seem to be mistaken. a psu is for power and power only (evga 750w). it doesn't do any graphics work. graphics work is done by the gpu (5700 xt). a gpu will consume more power while at higher framerates, but a 750w will be more than enough for your setup. what game are you talking about

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

You most likely had vsync on when running games, which caps fps at 60.

Now that u run it at higher fps, you are asking your card to do more. Which in return consumes more power, thus higher load onthe PSU.

At this time and age, if the virus didnt impact your shipping time. Request RMA, or else, just deal with it for now.

Full time technology enthusiast, part time IT.

5 minutes ago, piratemonkey said:

you seem to be mistaken. a psu is for power and power only (evga 750w). it doesn't do any graphics work. graphics work is done by the gpu (5700 xt). what game are you talking about

The PSU doesn't make any noise at 60FPS, once I start pushing past 60fps+ the PSU, I put my ear to the back of PSU and it increases in buzzing noise, an Example would be DOTA 2, I can adjust the Allowed FPS per +1, when I lower all the way to 60FPS, no PSU Buzzing, when I raise it gradually, the PSU starts Buzzing a lot.

5 minutes ago, Pikatchu said:

You most likely had vsync on when running games, which caps fps at 60.

Now that u run it at higher fps, you are asking your card to do more. Which in return consumes more power, thus higher load onthe PSU.

At this time and age, if the virus didnt impact your shipping time. Request RMA, or else, just deal with it for now.

Well I wanted a suggestion on if there's knowledgeable people with more experience on Better PSU's for people running games at higher frames, with more power hungry cards, Not really another " Just deal with it remark"

6 minutes ago, itsdres said:

Not really another " Just deal with it remark"

theyre just trying to help

8 minutes ago, itsdres said:

The PSU doesn't make any noise at 60FPS, once I start pushing past 60fps+ the PSU, I put my ear to the back of PSU and it increases in buzzing noise, an Example would be DOTA 2, I can adjust the Allowed FPS per +1, when I lower all the way to 60FPS, no PSU Buzzing, when I raise it gradually, the PSU starts Buzzing a lot.

it could be fan noise, and you cant do nothing about it in the psu. if its the gpu youll be able to control via the radeon software. if it is what you think with cable whine, theres nothing you can do. you could always get it RMAed, but it could be an issue on the other unit. it does sound like there is v sync on, turn that off and you should get much higher framerates. a 5700xt and a 3600 should be able to do dota 2 165+ fps easily

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

If you didn't want coil whine from the PSU, why did you get the G5...? It's a low end ACRF PSU, so that's what you should have expected.... While coil whine can happen with any PSU, it's less likely for higher end PSUs. Recommendations will depend on the price, so we can't come with any without knowing where you're buying from.

:)

2 minutes ago, piratemonkey said:

theyre just trying to help

it could be fan noise, and you cant do nothing about it in the psu. if its the gpu youll be able to control via the radeon software. if it is what you think with cable whine, theres nothing you can do. you could always get it RMAed, but it could be an issue on the other unit

I can turn the fan, off and on, It's not the fan at all. But Thanks for your help, Maybe someone else will come along and have more knowledge and suggestions on a better PSU or ideas on how to stop the PSU from whining at Higher FPS or just tell me, It's going to happen no matter what, Welcome to High tier Gaming.

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

If you didn't want coil whine from the PSU, why did you get the G5...? It's a low end ACRF PSU, so that's what you should have expected.... While coil whine can happen with any PSU, it's less likely for higher end PSUs. Recommendations will depend on the price, so we can't come with any without knowing where you're buying from.

I know nothing of PSU's, I just bought a PSU..................? Why would I create this Forum and ask for help If i knew anything about "High end PSUs"................................................................................................................................................ How should've I expected this with 0 knowledge?............. I'll take any Suggestions, whatever works with the 5700 XT.

3 minutes ago, itsdres said:

I know nothing of PSU's, I just bought a PSU..................? Why would I create this Forum and ask for help If i knew anything about "High end PSUs"................................................................................................................................................ How should've I expected this with 0 knowledge?............. I'll take any Suggestions, whatever works with the 5700 XT.

8 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Recommendations will depend on the price, so we can't come with any without knowing where you're buying from.

I can turn the fan, off and on, It's not the fan at all. But Thanks for your help, Maybe someone else will come along and have more knowledge and suggestions on a better PSU or ideas on how to stop the PSU from whining at Higher FPS or just tell me, It's going to happen no matter what, Welcome to High tier Gaming.

Unfortunately you can't do anything about coil whine, and it's not that it won't happen no matter what, it just has a greater chance of happening with more budget hardware. The reason there is no coil whine at 60 fps but is at higher fps, has to do with power draw not necessarily fps. For the gpu to output more fps, it takes more processing power which means an increase in power draw. When you have higher power draw, you are more likely to have coil whine. If you want suggestions for a new psu, what is your budget? We can't suggest a psu without knowing a budget. If you want a list of PSUs by tier, here is a list:

3 minutes ago, The_russian said:

Unfortunately you can't do anything about coil whine, and it's not that it won't happen no matter what, it just has a greater chance of happening with more budget hardware. The reason there is no coil whine at 60 fps but is at higher fps, has to do with power draw not necessarily fps. For the gpu to output more fps, it takes more processing power which means an increase in power draw. When you have higher power draw, you are more likely to have coil whine. If you want suggestions for a new psu, what is your budget? We can't suggest a psu without knowing a budget. If you want a list of PSUs by tier, here is a list:

I suppose $250 or less.

6 minutes ago, itsdres said:

I suppose $250 or less.

EVGA G+, Corsair RMx series.

Both at 100 to 150$ depending on wattage. A 650watt gold rated PSU or higher would do the trick.

I personally owe one G+ 750watt, and my main system is using Bitfenix Formula 750G. Good luck finding Bitfenix PSU though.

Full time technology enthusiast, part time IT.

Just now, Pikatchu said:

EVGA G+, Corsair RMx series.

Both at 100 to 150$ depending on wattage. A 650watt gold rated PSU or higher would do the trick.

agreed since higher wattage capacity PSU tends to not get stressed as much since you will most likely not hit its max capacity. Though, the chance of it still whining is not zero whatsoever. Heck even my old AVR and Transformer makes those whining noises lol.

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

52 minutes ago, Pikatchu said:

EVGA G+,

They had issues with an ACRF PSU, so you suggest them... The same model, but fully modular...

50 minutes ago, MartinKweh said:

agreed since higher wattage capacity PSU tends to not get stressed as much since you will most likely not hit its max capacity

It has more likely to do with the topology on the primary side being ACRF, rather than a higher end, like half bridge + LLC. You would be more likely to have coil whine on e.g. a G5 750W than a Formula 450W.

58 minutes ago, itsdres said:

I suppose $250 or less.

5 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Amazon, Newegg, I was looking at the list someone linked, maybe a Corsair HX750i 80+ Plat(Fully Modular) I will try.

2 hours ago, itsdres said:

Amazon, Newegg, I was looking at the list someone linked, maybe a Corsair HX750i 80+ Plat(Fully Modular) I will try.

Assuming US, Seasonic Focus would be cheapest choice rn, it's good. No need to go for almost 300$ Corsair HXi.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/11/2020 at 7:32 PM, The_russian said:

Know this is late, but thank you a lot for responding and sharing me that list. It helped a lot! My PSU doesn't Buzz from the back anymore when Im running at 165hz, I switched from the G5 750w Gold EVGA, to a Corsair Hxi 750w Platinum and its gone now with my 5700 XT. Computer is quiet again :)

Fixed my Issue after swapping a EVGA 750w G5 Gold, to a Corsair Hxi 750w Platinum, No more PSU Coil Whine when I'm running at 165hz paired with my 5700 XT.

Know this is late, but thank you a lot for responding and sharing me that list. It helped a lot! My PSU doesn't Buzz from the back anymore when Im running at 165hz, I switched from the G5 750w Gold EVGA, to a Corsair Hxi 750w Platinum and its gone now with my 5700 XT. Computer is quiet again :)

You're welcome, glad that fixed the problem.