Looking into getting the new Macbook Pro 16in

Hey all!

I'm currently looking into getting the new Macbook Pro that just recently came out in the past few months.

I will be using it for programming (pycharm, other IDE's, vscode), video editing, and a few other adobe apps as well alongside the other basic stuff (internet browsing, email, media consumption, etc etc).

I am wondering if the one I have specced out will be enough to handle this all.

image.png.c392ef6a80e3f851d481d642c9cfbf16.png

Programming should be fines, as for video editing it will also work. It is kinda overpriced, does it have to be a macbook

Please tag me @Windows9 so I can see your reply

2 minutes ago, AMD1234 said:

Programming should be fines, as for video editing it will also work. It is kinda overpriced, does it have to be a macbook

If he needs MacOS he needs MacOS.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Yeah, that spec looks good.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

7 minutes ago, AMD1234 said:

5 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

If he needs MacOS he needs MacOS.

Yeah I'm wanting a Mac for my laptop needs (wanting to start developing iOS and iPad apps one day soon after learning Python which is actually coming along nicely). I also don't want another windows machine when I already have that for my desktop and gaming needs.

Just now, Mateyyy said:

Yeah, that spec looks good.

Thank you!

Is there any benefit for my needs what so ever to get the higher priced model that comes with an 8 core cpu?

5 minutes ago, TheRevTastic said:

Thank you!

Is there any benefit for my needs what so ever to get the higher priced model that comes with an 8 core cpu?

Hm, depends on how much video editing you do, that's the only scenario where I think you'd notice an improvement going with the 8-core i9.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

Hm, depends on how much video editing you do, that's the only scenario where I think you'd notice an improvement going with the 8-core i9.

Probably 1080p with 1440p being max resolution

Premiere likes cores, where if you use Final Cut it'll offload to the GPU, so you'd see some nice benefits there, and your compiles will move quicker with the 8 core too, but not as big a difference compared to the adobe apps.

On 4/11/2020 at 8:17 PM, TheRevTastic said:

Hey all!

I'm currently looking into getting the new Macbook Pro that just recently came out in the past few months.

I will be using it for programming (pycharm, other IDE's, vscode), video editing, and a few other adobe apps as well alongside the other basic stuff (internet browsing, email, media consumption, etc etc).

I am wondering if the one I have specced out will be enough to handle this all.

image.png.c392ef6a80e3f851d481d642c9cfbf16.png

Would suggest moving to Final cut over adobe, you’ll get much better performance. 

would be careful about the SSD upgrade from 512GB because it is pricey and if you’re editing a lot of video it might be more cost effective to work of external SSDs considering you might end up doing that anyway. 

Also with how you’ve specced it it might actually be cheaper to get the base 8 core with added ram over upgrading that model to the 8 core. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

• 2 weeks later...

Just now having the time to come back in here and reply!

On 4/12/2020 at 4:40 PM, Lord Vile said:

Would suggest moving to Final cut over adobe, you’ll get much better performance. 

would be careful about the SSD upgrade from 512GB because it is pricey and if you’re editing a lot of video it might be more cost effective to work of external SSDs considering you might end up doing that anyway. 

Also with how you’ve specced it it might actually be cheaper to get the base 8 core with added ram over upgrading that model to the 8 core. 

So as it turns out I went with a totally different build LOL.

I got the 8 core base build and upgraded to 32GB Ram, the upgraded GPU and kept it at the 1TB SSD.

I may try out the free trial of Final Cut (i'm an adobe nerd and love premiere) but may also try out Davinci Resolve as well.