Ryzen 7 3700x high cpu clock/temps on basic tasks

This is my first ryzen build, have traditionally used Intel cpu's so sorry in advance if this is something Ryzen specific.

I've been doing some basic tasks (web browsing, playing Runescape which is a browser-based game from 2001... and so on), and MSI afterburner (as well as HWInfo) have been reporting cpu clocks of 3600Mhz-4400Mhz. It's not been ever lower than 3600Mhz. The CPU usage itself is never more than 20% however. During idle, cpu temps do fluctuate between 40c-50c but cpu clocks still remain high at 2800Mhz minimum:

67958ba00807f31bac2c5173bfdb63e1.png

The cpu clocks aren't really the concerning thing, it's more that during these basic activities my CPU temps can go as high as 70c and this makes the cooler fan go crazy. 

For what it's worth, I'm not overclocked, I've downloaded AMD chipset drivers and have set my profile to Ryzen Balanced. The only thing in bios I've changed is setting D.O.C.P profiles for ram. Am I missing something? High CPU clocks itself is fine but it's the temps/fan speeds that are concerning. 

The important specs are as follows:

- Ryzen 7 3700x

- Asus ROG Strix X570-F

- Gigabyte Windforce GTX 2070 Super

- 2x8GB HyperX Fury RAM

- AMD Wraith Prism stock cooler

- Phanteks p400a with 3 stock fans as intake, silent wings 3 back exhaust and shadow wings as top exhaust, so I think my case is well ventilated

I was planning on upgrading my cooler but even this probably won't make a massive difference to temps I reckon. I've removed the stock paste and applied some Arctic Silver mx4 (it's all I had lying around at the time but still decent). Furthermore, I've been sure not to use 2 monitoring tools at the same time as I've read this can cause fluctuations so I don't think this is incorrect reading?

Any help/tips appreciated.

High clock speeds are normal, why not have your CPU going faster?

What's using 20% CPU?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

High clock speeds are normal, why not have your CPU going faster?

What's using 20% CPU?

Even up to 4.3ghz at idle is normal?

I had chrome and spotify open at the time (as well as some background things like MSI Afterburner) and it was spiking from 10-20%.

Just now, ftahir192 said:

Even up to 4.3ghz at idle is normal?

I had chrome and spotify open at the time (as well as some background things like MSI Afterburner) and it was spiking from 10-20%.

My 3600 randomly spiked at idle (before my O.C.) usually just system processes. I would suggest re-seating your heatsink.

Also - what are you using to check temps? Try using AMD's Ryzen Master.

5 minutes ago, NickDawg41 said:

My 3600 randomly spiked at idle (before my O.C.) usually just system processes. I would suggest re-seating your heatsink.

Also - what are you using to check temps? Try using AMD's Ryzen Master.

I've re-seated the heatsink and applied some more capable thermal compound. 45-50c idle and 80c+ in games (CS:GO for example gets up to 82c). This is unchanged since applying new compound. I have a p400a which is a well ventilated case - 3 front stock fans and 2 silent wings for exhaust.

Using Ryzen Master but MSI Afterburner in game for the OSD.

Just now, TrigrH said:

install the ryzen balanced power plan by installing the chipset drivers off the amd website.

Thanks. I've done this - I think I mentioned it in OP

1 minute ago, TrigrH said:

on the latest bios?

Yep latest motherboard bios

Wow, okay. I have the same case, so i'm out of ideas. Possibly you got a bad chip? Have ypou checked the temps reported in the bios? try loading the "optimized defaults" in the bios. try to lower cpu voltage 0.5v.

I'm not being condescending here, just want to go through the entire list.

1. Too much or too little thermal paste
  2. Heatsink not screwed on tight enough
  3. Voltage set too high
  4. Did you record/monitor temps before D.O.C.P. applied?
  5. Updated BIOS?

3 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

on the latest bios?

2 minutes ago, ftahir192 said:

Yep latest motherboard bios

Just saw this

1 minute ago, NickDawg41 said:

Wow, okay. I have the same case, so i'm out of ideas. Possibly you got a bad chip? Have ypou checked the temps reported in the bios? try loading the "optimized defaults" in the bios. try to lower cpu voltage 0.5v.

I'm not being condescending here, just want to go through the entire list.

1. Too much or too little thermal paste
  2. Heatsink not screwed on tight enough
  3. Voltage set too high
  4. Did you record/monitor temps before D.O.C.P. applied?
  5. Updated BIOS?

You're not being condescending at all! I appreciate the help.

1. I applied a pea-sized amount as I'd normally have applied with intel's consumer cpu's

2. The stock heatsink is a clip/latch system with no screwing in needed

3. Voltage is stock as per bios' optimised defaults

4. I did not - I thought D.O.C.P only affected the RAM?

5. Yep - latest bios.

Just for reference what kind of temps do you get at idle and at load (also what do you use to test load temperatures?). Is your case fan setup similar to mine?

Cheers!

8 minutes ago, ftahir192 said:

You're not being condescending at all! I appreciate the help.

1. I applied a pea-sized amount as I'd normally have applied with intel's consumer cpu's

2. The stock heatsink is a clip/latch system with no screwing in needed

3. Voltage is stock as per bios' optimised defaults

4. I did not - I thought D.O.C.P only affected the RAM?

5. Yep - latest bios.

Just for reference what kind of temps do you get at idle and at load (also what do you use to test load temperatures?). Is your case fan setup similar to mine?

Cheers!

I was actually confused with the Wraith cooler because it screwed on.... i was used to the latch system with AMD, so i assumed that the 3700 was the same.

DOCP is an "Overclock Profile" so it can affect many things depending on bios manufacturer (if thats what they're called). As far as i know, i've only seen them touch RAM, but who knows what other funky things might be going on. 

Using the stock Wraith cooler, i was getting 32-24 degrees idle and 65-70 under full load (Stock temps and paste). I have since switched to a NZXT Kraken X53 and with 4.2GHz OC, i never go over 80. (Prime 95 small FFT 48 hours) idle usually 29-32

I used Ryzen Master for First 24-hours and CoreTemp for last 24-hours.

are the screws holding the cpu heatsink retention bracket on the board tight enough?

I was actually confused with the Wraith cooler because it screwed on.... i was used to the latch system with AMD, so i assumed that the 3700 was the same.

DOCP is an "Overclock Profile" so it can affect many things depending on bios manufacturer (if thats what they're called). As far as i know, i've only seen them touch RAM, but who knows what other funky things might be going on. 

Using the stock Wraith cooler, i was getting 32-24 degrees idle and 65-70 under full load (Stock temps and paste). I have since switched to a NZXT Kraken X53 and with 4.2GHz OC, i never go over 80. (Prime 95 small FFT 48 hours)

are the screws holding the cpu heatsink retention bracket on the board tight enough?

Nah this is a latch system unlike the older ones.

I'll revert d.o.c.p and do a load test and check temps.

Damn that is low idle temps - what's your fan setup like?

Yeah, tightened the screws when re-mounting earlier. 

10 minutes ago, ftahir192 said:

Nah this is a latch system unlike the older ones.

I'll revert d.o.c.p and do a load test and check temps.

Damn that is low idle temps - what's your fan setup like?

Yeah, tightened the screws when re-mounting earlier. 

The older ones had the latch system, so when i got the 3600 it threw me off BIG TIME. hah

Gone through AMD Athlon > Phenom > Phenom II > FX 8100 > Ryzen 3 1200 all used the Latch system

s-l1600.jpg

My Ryzen 5 3600 came with a screw on which REALLY threw me off

Kit Actualizacion Amd Athlon 200ge Radeon Vega 3, A320m, 4gb ...

Fan Setup:

3 Stock Phanteks RGB fans in the front (intake and 2 x Radiator)

2 Bitspower Touchauqa Exhaust up top

1 Bitspower Touchaqua Exhaust back

(3-pack Touchaqua fans from Micro Center with RGB controler for $50)

https://www.microcenter.com/product/607852/bitspower-touchaqua-njord-120-pwm-fan-digital-rgb-(3pcs)

Edited by NickDawg41
Typos

2 minutes ago, NickDawg41 said:

The older ones had the latch system

Gone through AMD Athlon > Phenom > Phenom II > FX 8100 > Ryzen 3 1200 all used the Latch system

s-l1600.jpg

My Ryzen 5 3600 came with a screw on which REALLY threw me off

Kit Actualizacion Amd Athlon 200ge Radeon Vega 3, A320m, 4gb ...

Fan Setup:

3 Stock Phanteks RGB fans in the front (intake and 2 x Radiator)

2 Bitspower Touchqauq Exhaust up top

1 Bitspower Touchaqua Exhaust back

(3-pack Touchaqua fans from Micro Center with RGB controler for $50)

https://www.microcenter.com/product/607852/bitspower-touchaqua-njord-120-pwm-fan-digital-rgb-(3pcs)

I wonder if the ryzen 5 3600 generally runs cooler?

I wouldn't doubt it. It's 2 extra cores with 4 extra threads, but thats insane with just basic tasks. I've been doing constant F@H and it never breaches 67C. even while im working. I know im water-cooled, but those temps seem abnormal for just basic load.

I wouldn't doubt it. It's 2 extra cores with 4 extra threads, but thats insane with just basic tasks. I've been doing constant F@H and it never breaches 67C. even while im working. I know im water-cooled, but those temps seem abnormal for just basic load.

Yeah it is a bit high. I'm going to test with d.o.c.p disabled tomorrow, and possibly re-mount the cooler again but thinking about just going aftermarket tbh.

Does the phanteks p400a front look weird with a radiator and stand-alone fan? Do you have a picture by any chance? I was going to get a 360mm radiator to avoid that

1 hour ago, NickDawg41 said:

I think my cpu fan curves were a little on the softer side because the stock cooler was too loud.

I've managed to adjust them to get 40c~ idle which I'm happy with. Time to find a new cooler, this shits loud

3 minutes ago, ftahir192 said:

I think my cpu fan curves were a little on the softer side because the stock cooler was too loud.

I've managed to adjust them to get 40c~ idle which I'm happy with. Time to find a new cooler, this shits loud

ahh, glad to see you made progress.

Here are some pics of my setup. I used the gans that came with the case on the radiator. they're decent and keeps things cool with my OC. I've been happy thus far.

There are my temps right now while F@H

image.png.5af04058adc108c5563a36b2256b603d.png

20200410_200112.jpg

20200410_200309.jpg

20200410_200345.jpg

29 minutes ago, NickDawg41 said:

snip

Oh those are pretty nice temps for F@H. I like your radiator/fan setup - thought it would look odd with the radiator but you can't notice it! 

Air cooler or AIO now... decisions decisions. Rocked a dark rock pro 3 for so many years and it performed nice and was silent, but water cooling looks niiiicee.