NZXT CAM app not launching

otto1

NZXT CAM app does not launch.

I've got 2 NZXT Aer RGB fans, a Kraken X62 AIO, and one of the NZXT light strips in my system. These are controlled by an NZXT Smart Device V2. As of this morning, I cannot start the NZXT CAM app anymore. Was working fine yesterday. Clicking on the app icon has no observable effect. All the lighting is stuck in the default, white profile.

I've tried a few troubleshooting methods already, with no success:

• Running the app with administrator permissions doesn't help.
  • Uninstalling (using Revo Uninstaller to get rid of any remaining files) and reinstalling the latest version of the CAM app from the NZXT website doesn't help. 
  • Disabling other services in System Configuration > Services and performing clean boot doesn't help.

I noticed that NZXT CAM does not show in the Program Files (x86) folder. It does, however, appear in the Program Files folder. It also doesn't appear in System32 > Tasks. 'CAM Service' appears in System Configuration as "running".

If anyone has experienced this issue or something similar, I would be interested in hearing about it.

Update

I noticed that one of the case fans has stopped spinning, except for when the system is subject to relatively heavy CPU load.

For anyone else that is having this issue: CAM seems to work in a local admin account.

How to create a local admin account: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account.

Opening CAM in the local account and configuring settings, then switching back to my main account seems to do the trick.

Problem-Images.pdf

Are you running any anti-virus software?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Just now, nick name said:

Are you running any anti-virus software?

Nope, nothing. Windows defender only.

22 minutes ago, otto1 said:

Nope, nothing. Windows defender only.

That might be it.  Check to see if it flagged it.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

21 minutes ago, nick name said:

That might be it.  Check to see if it flagged it.  

Doesn't seem to have been the problem. No events are listed in Defender. I whitelisted CAM in Windows Defender Firewall for good measure. Didn't seem to have any effect.

Wait.  Are you looking at Windows Security?  

5 minutes ago, nick name said:

Wait.  Are you looking at Windows Security?  

Yeah, that's right. I tried turning off real-time protection as well, but this does not help.

• 1 year later...
On 4/10/2020 at 7:27 AM, otto1 said:

NZXT CAM app does not launch.

I've got 2 NZXT Aer RGB fans, a Kraken X62 AIO, and one of the NZXT light strips in my system. These are controlled by an NZXT Smart Device V2. As of this morning, I cannot start the NZXT CAM app anymore. Was working fine yesterday. Clicking on the app icon has no observable effect. All the lighting is stuck in the default, white profile.

I've tried a few troubleshooting methods already, with no success:

• Running the app with administrator permissions doesn't help.
  • Uninstalling (using Revo Uninstaller to get rid of any remaining files) and reinstalling the latest version of the CAM app from the NZXT website doesn't help. 
  • Disabling other services in System Configuration > Services and performing clean boot doesn't help.

I noticed that NZXT CAM does not show in the Program Files (x86) folder. It does, however, appear in the Program Files folder. It also doesn't appear in System32 > Tasks. 'CAM Service' appears in System Configuration as "running".

If anyone has experienced this issue or something similar, I would be interested in hearing about it.

Update

I noticed that one of the case fans has stopped spinning, except for when the system is subject to relatively heavy CPU load.

For anyone else that is having this issue: CAM seems to work in a local admin account.

How to create a local admin account: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account.

Opening CAM in the local account and configuring settings, then switching back to my main account seems to do the trick.

Problem-Images.pdf 197.29 kB · 4 downloads

I created an account here just to say thanks and this worked for me.  Today, Jun 4th, 2021, this happened. NZXT CAM did not load. Now, I didn't notice it until I updated my 3080 with new drivers so that may have had an effect. But, after multiple reboots, NZXT CAM wouldn't load.  The case was loaded with white light (not how I set it) and my Kracken Z73 display defaulted to a generic look that I did not set.

Every time I'd click to start NZXT CAM, the mouse would change to show activity and then nothing. So, I did as you suggested. I created a local admin account.  Found the executable inside program files and launched it. I switched back over to my usual windows login and ran NZXT CAM and it started. However, things we're right. I think that might be because I left it running in the new account. So, I rebooted and viola it worked just as it had the previous time I used the PC. Lighting set right, Kracken display set correctly. What a PITA. 

So, if this is happening to anyone else, give this a try. Seems like this bug has been around for well over a year and NZXT STILL hasn't fixed it. (I'm running their latest 4.25.0 software release June 1, 2021.)