New GPU New Problems :(

Lets go with the long full story as those are great for troubleshooting

Ive had a r9 280x gpu for almost 5 years now, Ive decided to upgrade for a few reasons:
1. to play DOOM (because vulkan stopped working for an unknown reason and now i have 2 fps instead of the old 100.)
2. to play the new DOOM

3. one of the fans stopped working (the one further from the pcie)
4. VERY high gpu usage in some games (ck2, tomb raider) and therefore its loud

So my 5700XT arrives. I go to r/AMD into the troubleshooting thread and ask what now, someone says it should work fine but clean driver reinstall is best. So I follow a DDU guide: download latest drivers, turn off windows autoinstalling drivers, go to msconfig and restart into safemode, run DDU then turn off, unplug pc, swap the gpu, turn on pc. It is in safemode again. I check to see what the DDU did, I cant see any changes, the driver files are still there. So I look for everything with "radeon" in it and go deleting. I delete:
1. the radeon-software-adrenalin files in c/amd

2. the same files in c/amd/packages/apps

3. the same files in c/amd/packages/drivers

4. some pf file called RADEONSETTINGS in c/windows/prefetch

5. many strangely named (example: 54ae5f4ad2f1...) qmlc files in appdata/local/radeonsettings/cache/qmlcache

Then I try to install the latest drivers(20.4.1), Error 192 - cant install cos limited capabilities or something, welp, looks like its cos safemode.

So I go to msconfig again and do normal boot, restart and here I am in normal resolution, frowning face windows did an oopsie.

It restarts, frowning face windows did an oopsie

It restarts, something about backup, I go to advanced options, advanced boot

It restarts, I select 4.) safe mode

It restarts, here I am in safemode again, where I began all those minutes ago, I try drivers again, same error, so I restart, what else to do?

It restarts, frowning face windows did an oopsie even before I saw the normal resolution

It restarts, normal resolution, no crashes, stable, hmm, so I enter PIN and here I am, everything magically works. I can finally install the drivers, so I do, it works. New interface, 2020, whatever. All´s good. So like the idiot I am I restart my pc one final time.

It restarts, safe mode again, after a few seconds of functioning however, crash

It restarts, something about backup, I go to advanced options, advanced boot

It restarts, I select 5.) safe mode with networking

It restarts, here I am in safe mode again but with internet this time. I check my files:
1. win10-radeon-software-adrenalin is there in c/amd

2. nothing in c/amd/packages

3. no RADEONSETTINGS but 3 new pf files in c/windows/prefetch , RADEONSOFTWARE and RADEONINSTALLER and WIN10-RADEON-SOFTWARE-ADRENALIN

4. no qmlc files whatsoever

5. some new files in c/amd/CNext

The same fan still isnt working (unless I spin it myself, making new thread for it, this is too weird), gpu is lit up but not being detected by device manager (neither are the drives tho)

So I go to linusdroptips for advice as I always do and here I am writing this, what now? Keep restarting until it magically fixes itself again? If there is an issue then it will just break again with the next re-boot. So fellas, what to do?

edit: update, After downloading a missing dll file called atiadlxx I managed to install the latest stable driver and use the pc for a few hours until it crashed again. After about 7 more crashes and restarts I got back and noticed that the driver wasnt working at all, it didnt launch at startup (after reading logs i figured it was the driver trying to start up that was causing the crashes) and it couldnt even be launched any other way. So I installed the driver again and it worked. Until another crash of course. One of my theories is that windows is faulty (supported by the missing dll file) so I ran sfc /scannow which found a few corrupted files. That didnt seem to fix anything at all so I ran ddu and amd cleanup again and tried to get the latest optional (20.4.1) drivers again but had a corruption during the install. Tried again and got the atiadlxx.dll thing again. So I replaced it with the downloaded one and it installed but kept crashing. I have now put in my old gpu (280x) and its running fine on these (20.4.1) drivers.

The crashes Im getting keep having the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR which is a hardware failure so can it still be a windows issue or is it a faulty gpu? Truly Advanced Malfunctioning Devices.

edit2: Update 2: So, I have reinstalled Windows according to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldqFdcGL1X0 which allowed me to keep all my everything still here. I then deleted the windows.old folder with the disk cleanup tool and restarted to be sure. While it is not a "fresh" install that would wipe my whole entire drive, even if I did such a thing I would still redownload everything that I have on here so it wouldnt change a thing. There is nothing unessential on my PC. So what now?

Do I try to put in the new GPU and see if it works? I have noticed that the RADEON files in c/windows/prefetch are missing so perhaps my drivers wont function as they should. Do I do the whole driver wipe again just to be sure?

edit3 Update 3: So I istalled the latest chipset drivers and then used DDU again to reinstall the gpu drivers again. It went fine without a hitch, functional PC afterwards. Then I turned off the PC and put in the new GPU. Booted fine, everything functional. I ran a benchmark for Tomb Raider, 333 avg fps on highest, lovely. Ran it again, same thing. I noticed a strange sound coming from the GPU at high load(TR was pushing it to 100% at all times). Will put in the recording of this sound. You can hear the fans a bit altough in reality theyre not that loud but the sound Im referring to is a high pitched one that almost sounds like torture, maybe coil wine? While I went to listen to it in another room, the crash happened. Blue screen WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR as always. Looks like it wasnt Windows then. The only possible issue remaining is the BIOS, Ill try to update that next. The motherboards website says to get the "all in 1" drivers but isnt that just the chipset+gpu drivers? I have those already. Will post results at some point within the next 24 hours.

gpu recording audio.mp3

edit4: update4: I updated the BIOS, the black screen after the restart was very long and I was starting to get worried but it eventually booted up. When I clicked on the up-pointing arrow in the bottom-right corner of my screen to see whether my drivers were running I was once again met with a blue screen PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA or something along those lines. Okay, new type of an error, I´m going somewhere, after a restart however, all was fine.

IT WORKS! It has been stable so far at least, if this were to change I´d certainly come back and update the post.

My PSU fan is making some strange noises , there seems to be some metal clacking in there which was kinda fixed when I turned the pc back up as it has been laying on the ground for the last few days while I was constantly swapping the GPUs.

Vulkan issue wasn´t fixed, DOOM is still a broken mess running at 60fps with OpenGL, pretty sad considering I was gettin 100fps with my old card back when Vulkan worked but oh well, I sure hope the new DOOM Eternal works with Vulkan or I can´t imagine how much fps I will get in that one.

Another nitpick: the GPU fans dont spin unless I´m playing a game which is a little concerning as according to radeon software the card still runs at almost 50°C. Its even hot to the touch, the backplate that is. I will look into changing this so they are always spinning even when idle, they are extremely silent and even while gaming the cpu fan is still louder.

A strange thing (bug?) also, according to device manager my gpu is at 40-60% usage while watching a video or stream but radeon software says it isn´t being used at all.

37 minutes ago, Alkyy said:

Ive had a r9 280x gpu for almost 5 years now, Ive decided to upgrade for a few reasons:
1. to play DOOM (because vulkan stopped working for an unknown reason and now i have 2 fps instead of the old 100.)
2. to play the new DOOM

So my 5700XT arrives. I go to r/AMD into the troubleshooting thread and ask what now, someone says it should work fine but clean driver reinstall is best. So I follow a DDU guide: download latest drivers, turn off windows autoinstalling drivers, go to msconfig and restart into safemode, run DDU then turn off, unplug pc, swap the gpu, turn on pc. It is in safemode again. I check to see what the DDU did, I cant see any changes, the driver files are still there. So I look for everything with "radeon" in it and go deleting. I delete:

5. many strangely named (example: 54ae5f4ad2f1...) qmlc files in appdata/local/radeonsettings/cache/qmlcache

Then I try to install the latest drivers(20.4.1), Error 192 - cant install cos limited capabilities or something, welp, looks like its cos safemode.

So I go to msconfig again and do normal boot, restart and here I am in normal resolution, frowning face windows did an oopsie.

It restarts, here I am in safemode again, where I began all those minutes ago, I try drivers again, same error, so I restart, what else to do?

It restarts, frowning face windows did an oopsie even before I saw the normal resolution

It restarts, normal resolution, no crashes, stable, hmm, so I enter PIN and here I am, everything magically works. I can finally install the drivers, so I do, it works. New interface, 2020, whatever. All´s good. So like the idiot I am I restart my pc one final time.

It restarts, here I am in safe mode again but with internet this time. I check my files:

3. no RADEONSETTINGS but 3 new pf files in c/windows/prefetch , RADEONSOFTWARE and RADEONINSTALLER and WIN10-RADEON-SOFTWARE-ADRENALIN

The same fan still isnt working (unless I spin it myself, making new thread for it, this is too weird), gpu is lit up but not being detected by device manager (neither are the drives tho)

So I go to linusdroptips for advice as I always do and here I am writing this, what now? Keep restarting until it magically fixes itself again? If there is an issue then it will just break again with the next re-boot. So fellas, what to do?

So the one fan will work if you flick it to life?  That implies either some but not enough power is getting to the fan or there is more internal friction in the fan than there should be (it’s dying)

my guess is the original problem may have something to do with the Vulcan problem that caused you to change GPUs in the first place.  
Do you still have the 280x?

I would personally be tempted to attempt an OS reinstall.  Kind of heavy handed and might not do anything. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Alkyy said:

2. to play the new DOOM

18 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So the one fan will work if you flick it to life?  That implies either some but not enough power is getting to the fan or there is more internal friction in the fan than there should be (it’s dying)

my guess is the original problem may have something to do with the Vulcan problem that caused you to change GPUs in the first place.  
Do you still have the 280x?

I would personally be tempted to attempt an OS reinstall.  Kind of heavy handed and might not do anything. 

As @Bombastinator mentioned, OS reinstall also seemed good to me. Also, you can try to install older version of AMD drivers, such as 20.2.2, and upgrade it later on. Would probably help you.

Motherboard: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Hexa-core processor (32M Cache, 3.6GHz)
GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 ARMOR MK2 8G OC
RAM: 
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro Memory 3200MHz CL16 16G Kit (CMW16GX4M2C3200C16 ver4.31, Samsung B-Die)
SSD: Crucial BX500 240G SATA SSD
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB 7200RPM SATA HDD
Power: Antec VP500P Plus
Case: Antec VSK 10 Window 

Welp.

Aren't the drivers supposed to be removed through the control panel, not straight from their respective folders in c:/ or whatever? I think that might really fuck things up if Windows thinks the drivers are still there (because you didn't remove them from the control panel)? Reinstalling the OS seems like the best option as the posters above said.

2 minutes ago, Stockholmes said:

Aren't the drivers supposed to be removed through the control panel, not straight from their respective folders in c:/ or whatever? I think that might really fuck things up if Windows thinks the drivers are still there (because you didn't remove them from the control panel)? Reinstalling the OS seems like the best option as the posters above said.

The correct move is DDU or OS reinstall for windows iirc.  Drivers throw things in lots of weird little places and there’s no package system so if it isn’t done correctly little bits of old drivers will hang around.  If that was the way the driver change was attempted an reinstall may be required just to get rid of the bits.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The correct move is DDU or OS reinstall for windows iirc.  Drivers throw things in lots of weird little places and there’s no package system so if it isn’t done correctly little bits of old drivers will hang around.  If that was the way the driver change was attempted an reinstall may be required just to get rid of the bits.

Yeah that sounds like the best option to me too.

@Stockholmes @Bombastinator @hydr0- Ive done it all, base windows uninstaller, ddu, amd cleanup utility, everything. Everything that could be classified as a display driver has been deleted. I have tried to install an older version of the drives, the stable 20.2.2 but that also doesnt work because of a missing dll file. Strangely enough its a completely empty 1.7MB file called atiadlxx.dll . It seems windows is an issue but wiping my entire computer isnt something I want to go through again again. Im currently looking into checking the integrity of windows just like I would with a steam game but Im wondering what effects that will have and whether it just repairs or also removes some of my stuff. I dont want to lose data.

3 hours ago, Alkyy said:

@Stockholmes @Bombastinator @hydr0- Ive done it all, base windows uninstaller, ddu, amd cleanup utility, everything. Everything that could be classified as a display driver has been deleted. I have tried to install an older version of the drives, the stable 20.2.2 but that also doesnt work because of a missing dll file. Strangely enough its a completely empty 1.7MB file called atiadlxx.dll . It seems windows is an issue but wiping my entire computer isnt something I want to go through again again. Im currently looking into checking the integrity of windows just like I would with a steam game but Im wondering what effects that will have and whether it just repairs or also removes some of my stuff. I dont want to lose data.

Does “it all” include the actual suggested remedy of reinstall Windows because if one screws up driver removal the first time it often can’t be fixed later?

19 hours ago, Alkyy said:

Strangely enough its a completely empty 1.7MB file called atiadlxx.dll .

I have searched on internet, and it turns out that it might be some problems with your Win 10. 

Usually, the bad configuration in system files is the root cause this problem. -- HowtoConnect

And I did can found these files in my system. (Attached file)
Maybe you can try to add the dll to the same directory as mine. Doesn't know if it works, but it worth a try.

Screenshot_3.png

Edited by hydr0-
ADD INFORMATIONS

RAM: 
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro Memory 3200MHz CL16 16G Kit (CMW16GX4M2C3200C16 ver4.31, Samsung B-Die)

Welp.

update, After downloading a missing dll file called atiadlxx I managed to install the latest stable driver and use the pc for a few hours until it crashed again. After about 7 more crashes and restarts I got back and noticed that the driver wasnt working at all, it didnt launch at startup (after reading logs i figured it was the driver trying to start up that was causing the crashes) and it couldnt even be launched any other way. So I installed the driver again and it worked. Until another crash of course. One of my theories is that windows is faulty (supported by the missing dll file) so I ran sfc /scannow which found a few corrupted files. That didnt seem to fix anything at all so I ran ddu and amd cleanup again and tried to get the latest optional (20.4.1) drivers again but had a corruption during the install. Tried again and got the atiadlxx.dll thing again. So I replaced it with the downloaded one and it installed but kept crashing. I have now put in my old gpu (280x) and its running fine on these (20.4.1) drivers.

The crashes Im getting keep having the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR which is a hardware failure so can it still be a windows issue or is it a faulty gpu? Truly Advanced Malfunctioning Devices.

3 hours ago, Alkyy said:

update, After downloading a missing dll file called atiadlxx I managed to install the latest stable driver and use the pc for a few hours until it crashed again. After about 7 more crashes and restarts I got back and noticed that the driver wasnt working at all, it didnt launch at startup (after reading logs i figured it was the driver trying to start up that was causing the crashes) and it couldnt even be launched any other way. So I installed the driver again and it worked. Until another crash of course. One of my theories is that windows is faulty (supported by the missing dll file) so I ran sfc /scannow which found a few corrupted files. That didnt seem to fix anything at all so I ran ddu and amd cleanup again and tried to get the latest optional (20.4.1) drivers again but had a corruption during the install. Tried again and got the atiadlxx.dll thing again. So I replaced it with the downloaded one and it installed but kept crashing. I have now put in my old gpu (280x) and its running fine on these (20.4.1) drivers.

The most common hardware error where a computer crashes in the middle of an app is bad memory.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The most common hardware error where a computer crashes in the middle of an app is bad memory.

well as ive said it works fine with the old gpu now plugged in. My ram is of a brand i havent heard of much before, Patriot viper, but its worked fine so far.

9 minutes ago, Alkyy said:

well as ive said it works fine with the old gpu now plugged in. My ram is of a brand i havent heard of much before, Patriot viper, but its worked fine so far.

Old gpu working implies drivers or hardware.  If I were in this position my move would be to back up important data and do a full reinstall to check driver issue.  Sometimes you have to nuke the site from orbit.  It’s the only way to be sure.

8 hours ago, Alkyy said:

Well, we called AMD Drivers as PROBLEMO here, because of it's weird bugs and stuff. If you can refund your new GPU, do it and buy Nvidia cards instead. Better driver. I regret buying RX580. Although the value is good, I really hate their drivers.

RAM: 

Welp.

10 hours ago, hydr0- said:

Well, we called AMD Drivers as PROBLEMO here, because of it's weird bugs and stuff. If you can refund your new GPU, do it and buy Nvidia cards instead. Better driver. I regret buying RX580. Although the value is good, I really hate their drivers.

I’ve had equal problems with Nvidia and AMD drivers.  Running both on win10 which makes me suspect it rather than the drivers though.  AMD is supposed to be attempting to bug fix their driver issues.  I haven’t downloaded the newest 580 drivers yet though so I don’t have an up to date view.

On 4/11/2020 at 9:00 PM, Bombastinator said:

I’ve had equal problems with Nvidia and AMD drivers.  Running both on win10 which makes me suspect it rather than the drivers though.  AMD is supposed to be attempting to bug fix their driver issues.  I haven’t downloaded the newest 580 drivers yet though so I don’t have an up to date view.

Yeah, I never update to the latest version of driver, until my forum said no problem about that.

RAM: 

Welp.

Update 2: So, I have reinstalled Windows according to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldqFdcGL1X0 which allowed me to keep all my everything still here. I then deleted the windows.old folder with the disk cleanup tool and restarted to be sure. While it is not a "fresh" install that would wipe my whole entire drive, even if I did such a thing I would still redownload everything that I have on here so it wouldnt change a thing. There is nothing unessential on my PC. So what now?

Do I try to put in the new GPU and see if it works? I have noticed that the RADEON files in c/windows/prefetch are missing so perhaps my drivers wont function as they should. Do I do the whole driver wipe again just to be sure?

2 hours ago, Alkyy said:

Update 2: So, I have reinstalled Windows according to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldqFdcGL1X0 which allowed me to keep all my everything still here. I then deleted the windows.old folder with the disk cleanup tool and restarted to be sure. While it is not a "fresh" install that would wipe my whole entire drive, even if I did such a thing I would still redownload everything that I have on here so it wouldnt change a thing. There is nothing unessential on my PC. So what now?

Why not, just to be clean enough to install the driver.

RAM: 

Welp.

Update 3: So I istalled the latest chipset drivers and then used DDU again to reinstall the gpu drivers again. It went fine without a hitch, functional PC afterwards. Then I turned off the PC and put in the new GPU. Booted fine, everything functional. I ran a benchmark for Tomb Raider, 333 avg fps on highest, lovely. Ran it again, same thing. I noticed a strange sound coming from the GPU at high load(TR was pushing it to 100% at all times). Will put in the recording of this sound. You can hear the fans a bit altough in reality theyre not that loud but the sound Im referring to is a high pitched one that almost sounds like torture, maybe coil wine? While I went to listen to it in another room, the crash happened. Blue screen WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR as always. Looks like it wasnt Windows then. The only possible issue remaining is the BIOS, Ill try to update that next. The motherboards website says to get the "all in 1" drivers but isnt that just the chipset+gpu drivers? I have those already. Will post results at some point within the next 24 hours.

gpu recording audio.mp3

On 4/16/2020 at 12:54 AM, Alkyy said:

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

According to Microsoft support, it is caused by a hardware error. I suppose that is caused by your new graphics card. You know, 50-50.

• Get all the latest updates with Windows Update. Go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and then select Check for updates.

Try the method above. If still doesn’t work then good luck RMA-ing it.

RAM: 

Welp.

update4: I updated the BIOS, the black screen after the restart was very long and I was starting to get worried but it eventually booted up. When I clicked on the up-pointing arrow in the bottom-right corner of my screen to see whether my drivers were running I was once again met with a blue screen PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA or something along those lines. Okay, new type of an error, I´m going somewhere, after a restart however, all was fine.

IT WORKS! It has been stable so far at least, if this were to change I´d certainly come back and update the post.

My PSU fan is making some strange noises , there seems to be some metal clacking in there which was kinda fixed when I turned the pc back up as it has been laying on the ground for the last few days while I was constantly swapping the GPUs.

Vulkan issue wasn´t fixed, DOOM is still a broken mess running at 60fps with OpenGL, pretty sad considering I was gettin 100fps with my old card back when Vulkan worked but oh well, I sure hope the new DOOM Eternal works with Vulkan or I can´t imagine how much fps I will get in that one.

Another nitpick: the GPU fans dont spin unless I´m playing a game which is a little concerning as according to radeon software the card still runs at almost 50°C. Its even hot to the touch, the backplate that is. I will look into changing this so they are always spinning even when idle, they are extremely silent and even while gaming the cpu fan is still louder.

A strange thing (bug?) also, according to device manager my gpu is at 40-60% usage while watching a video or stream but radeon software says it isn´t being used at all.

On 4/23/2020 at 6:50 AM, Alkyy said:

This is the video decode, as I remember.

RAM: 

Welp.