Laptop SSD with Windows 10 switch to new DIY Gaming Rig.

BigDaddy23

Hi there, I am new guy here. I had always follow up on new tech stuff but I am very limited to applicable knowledge in PC building.

So I had posted a thread on my new rig that will soon setup, I had a activated Windows 10 Pro on the SSD that I previously used for my Lenovo Y410P for boot drive and a 1TB HDD for mass storage.

Do I have to reinstall the Windows if I move the SSD to the new rig? I had read numerous articles, some said should or else won't operate normally and some said no need. I know the drivers everything sure need to update.

Thanks in advance. 

Some people here will answer you that "you must made clean install". Mostly because they knows this method only or just repeats the same statement.

My experience (dozens of computers) said something very different. You can just boot, wait for drivers update / change, and you'll be fine and your system will be as stable and fast as newly installed.

You can even remove old ghost devices using Ghostbuster tool if you really like to be more "clean" (but be careful - not all ghosted devices you should remove).

Different thing is your Windows license. If it was Windows with Laptop, then (like license said) you cannot move it, because you bought it as part of Laptop. System will work of course, but will not be activated. Probably. You must try. :)

BTW. Trying is much faster than asking. Just boot and you'll get most of answers without askiing. :)