Ryzen 5 3600 high temps with aftermarket cooler

LethoX
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,
11 hours ago, LethoX said:

if I can fit another intake fan, if I remove the hard drive thing. Do any of you know if that's possible with this case? Here's another masterpiece made in paint, to show what I mean :) 

A front fan can be screwed in with the included long fan screws after removing the front panel. No need to remove the drive cage but it can allow for better airflow. From the user manual:

attachment.php?attachmentid=21897&stc=1&

The hdd cage can be removed via screws at the back of the motherboard tray panel. https://thinkcomputers.org/corsair-carbide-series-100r-case-review/4/

Corsair-Carbide-100i-pg-3.8d-600x400.jpg

Your temps seem fine already. If you want to add a fan just for extra airflow and want fan recommendations, tell us where you're shopping / located and your budget.

I made a post on here earlier asking about what cooler I should get for my ryzen 3600. It was hitting 96c with the stock cooler in call of duty warzone after 30 minutes. So I thought an aftermarket cooler would probably be a good idea. Ended up buying the alpenföhn brocken eco advanced cooler. Watched videos & used the manual to install it and I'm 99.9% sure I installed it correctly. But I'm still getting high temps, 80-82c in CSGO at low settings & low resolution. 86c in world war z on low settings. Haven't tried warzone yet, but I'm pretty sure it'll hit 90+. Idle it's jumping around from 45-60c, now I don't know if these temps are normal with the ryzen 3600. But they are a bit concerning for me, when going from a max of 60c on my old 6700k + noctua nh-d15. What can I do to improve my temps, or do I even need to worry about it? Any help is much appreciated

What are your CPU core voltages? What case do you own? How is the airflow in your case? : )

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

1. Is it overclocked?

2. With coolers, the first thing to do is to remount it with fresh paste. There's always chance that it doesn't make contact properly.

CPU: Ryzen 3 3600 | GPU: Gigabite GTX 1660 super | Motherboard: MSI Mortar MAX | RAM: G Skill Trident Z 3200 (2x8GB) | Case: Cooler Master Q300L | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 250G + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Displays: LG 27'' G-Sync compatible 144hz 1080p | Cooling: NH U12S black | Keyboard: Logitech G512 carbon | Mouse: Logitech g900 

23 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

What are your CPU core voltages? What case do you own? How is the airflow in your case? : )

How do I check CPU voltages? Case is corsair carbide 100r silent. The case has a front and back fan, I don't think the airflow is the best, because it's a pretty small case. 

22 minutes ago, msvelev said:

1. Is it overclocked?

2. With coolers, the first thing to do is to remount it with fresh paste. There's always chance that it doesn't make contact properly.

1. It is completely stock

2. I did put fresh paste on it when I removed the stock cooler, is that what you mean? Or do you mean taking it off, then putting it on again when using fresh paste?

core voltage either with hwinfo64 or ryzen master. So you have your mobo on stock BIOS settings? have you tried undervolting yet?

I suggest checking cpu core voltages& fan speeds first though.

22 minutes ago, LethoX said:

How do I check CPU voltages? Case is corsair carbide 100r silent. The case has a front and back fan, I don't think the airflow is the best, because it's a pretty small case. 

1. It is completely stock

2. I did put fresh paste on it when I removed the stock cooler, is that what you mean? Or do you mean taking it off, then putting it on again when using fresh paste?

I mean removing the cooler and putting it back on.
This can fix it or reveal that the paste wasn't spread correctly by the cooler, which means poor contact.

5 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

core voltage either with hwinfo64 or ryzen master. So you have your mobo on stock BIOS settings? have you tried undervolting yet?

Undervolting is always good, but temps shouldn't be that high in the first place, so it might just hide another issue.

But if the stock voltage got messed up it's worth checking it.

CPU: Ryzen 3 3600 | GPU: Gigabite GTX 1660 super | Motherboard: MSI Mortar MAX | RAM: G Skill Trident Z 3200 (2x8GB) | Case: Cooler Master Q300L | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 250G + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Displays: LG 27'' G-Sync compatible 144hz 1080p | Cooling: NH U12S black | Keyboard: Logitech G512 carbon | Mouse: Logitech g900 

6 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

I checked ryzen master and the average core voltage is 1.4114 couldn't find anything about fan speed though

1 minute ago, msvelev said:

I mean removing the cooler and putting it back on.
This can fix it or reveal that the paste wasn't spread correctly by the cooler, which means poor contact.

Alright, I'll check for that. Thanks 

1 minute ago, LethoX said:

I checked ryzen master and the average core voltage is 1.4114 couldn't find anything about fan speed though

Alright, I'll check for that. Thanks 

There's a chance that your BIOS is an old revision and running too high voltage by default.

You can flash newest BIOS and then clear to default settings.

15 minutes ago, msvelev said:

There's a chance that your BIOS is an old revision and running too high voltage by default.

You can flash newest BIOS and then clear to default settings.

How do I do that? Sorry for being such a noob :D

8 hours ago, LethoX said:

How do I do that? Sorry for being such a noob :D

what motherboard do you have? Check the manufacturer's site for latest BIOS.

: )

5 hours ago, Vejnemojnen said:

what motherboard do you have? Check the manufacturer's site for latest BIOS.

: )

Alright I just checked and it seems that my BIOS is up to date. When putting the fan on the heatsink, does it matter which way it's pushing air? I made a high quality paint demonstration of what my fan placement looks like. Grey is heatsink, red is fans. I currently have the fan on the side where the exhaust fan is. Which one would be the best place? Or is there a difference?

High quality demonstration.png

front fan(s) (I'd personally use at least 2x120mm front intake ones with high static pressure). pump air inside the case. The CPU heatsink's fan should blow through the fins (so, from front to back.) rear Case fan would be set up as an exhaust one.

If I were you, I'd put 2-3 intake fans on the front& 1 exhaust on the back, and 1 fan onto the CPU heatsink blowing from front to back.

But it's just me.

36 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

front fan(s) (I'd personally use at least 2x120mm front intake ones with high static pressure). pump air inside the case. The CPU heatsink's fan should blow through the fins (so, from front to back.) rear Case fan would be set up as an exhaust one.

If I were you, I'd put 2-3 intake fans on the front& 1 exhaust on the back, and 1 fan onto the CPU heatsink blowing from front to back.

But it's just me.

Thanks for the advice, but I think there's only room for 1 intake fan. Atleast that's what it seems like to me. Unless I have to remove, the thing to hold hard drives? I can do that pretty easily it seems like. Only 4 screws and I'm not using it anyway.

Okay, so I put the fan on the other side. Put some fresh paste on the cpu, switched the fan mode from standard to silent in BIOS. Now it's hitting 64c in csgo after a little while. Fair to say it worked well, it's even more quiet now. So I wanna say thank you very much you two, I really appreciate this help because I'm such a noob :D Now I am still curious if I can fit another intake fan, if I remove the hard drive thing. Do any of you know if that's possible with this case? Here's another masterpiece made in paint, to show what I mean :) 

Masterpiece.png

11 hours ago, LethoX said:

if I can fit another intake fan, if I remove the hard drive thing. Do any of you know if that's possible with this case? Here's another masterpiece made in paint, to show what I mean :) 

A front fan can be screwed in with the included long fan screws after removing the front panel. No need to remove the drive cage but it can allow for better airflow. From the user manual:

The hdd cage can be removed via screws at the back of the motherboard tray panel. https://thinkcomputers.org/corsair-carbide-series-100r-case-review/4/

Your temps seem fine already. If you want to add a fan just for extra airflow and want fan recommendations, tell us where you're shopping / located and your budget.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 4/9/2020 at 2:04 AM, WoodenMarker said:

That was just what I needed, thanks! I'm located in Denmark and this website is most likely the one I'll use to buy a case fan. https://www.proshop.dk/Kabinet-Koeler

My budget is 100 kr around 15 USD. Thanks for helping

19 hours ago, LethoX said:

That was just what I needed, thanks! I'm located in Denmark and this website is most likely the one I'll use to buy a case fan. https://www.proshop.dk/Kabinet-Koeler

My budget is 100 kr around 15 USD. Thanks for helping

P12 PWM PST: https://www.proshop.dk/Kabinet-Koeler/Arctic-P12-PWM-PST-BlackBlack-Kabinet-Koeler-120-mm-23-dBA/2734494

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.