Dirt Rally (1) crashes on 3950x

MS-DOS

I've read the old version (the new is 2.0) has problems with multi core CPUs:

https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/18147-dirt-rally-crashing-on-splash-screen-steam/?do=findComment&comment=391577

Tried this, same shit. Really, what can I do? I was told to disable "STM" whatever this is, but im afraid that is not recommended. Why can't this relatively new game not work on new computers but rFactor 1, a game from ages ago, works? Are you fucking joking.

GPU is 1660 super. Any ideas? do I really have to disable this STM thing on the bios everytime I want to play this game? geez.

Already tried "verify cache files" on steam.

I have Dirt Rally and i7-8700k OC CPU. In my case I have no crashes at all without any additional settings, so I assume that any crash is probably hardware related, not software.

But it may be also AMD problem. Who knows. In link you paste you have some solution, you also talking about disabling SMT (it's kind of AMD multi-thread - you can disable it in BIOS for tests). Just try these solutions instead "verifying cache" or other "magical", universal solutions that some guys paste in every thread where people report problems.

Interesting link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIWO-821vik

4 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

I have Dirt Rally and i7-8700k OC CPU. In my case I have no crashes at all without any additional settings, so I assume that any crash is probably hardware related, not software.

But it may be also AMD problem. Who knows. In link you paste you have some solution, you also talking about disabling SMT (it's kind of AMD multi-thread - you can disable it in BIOS for tests). Just try these solutions instead "verifying cache" or other "magical", universal solutions that some guys paste in every thread where people report problems.

Interesting link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIWO-821vik

Yeah, like I said I tried that. I would try SMT, but I was hoping there is a better solution (assuming if I do that work) because I want to have it enabled.

well, you could try re-installing the game, unless you are really attached to your current save game. another thing to try is reinstalling your graphics driver.

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

33 minutes ago, GrockleTD said:

well, you could try re-installing the game, unless you are really attached to your current save game. another thing to try is reinstalling your graphics driver.

First is pointless, second little less, but you can also give advice to reinstalling system, all drivers, replacing SSD etc. It's just guessing and it may be also problem with hardware (bad memory) or overclocking (made by user or, in case GPU, made by producer), so stock values (or underclock GPU) may help as well. But most probably is just bad game code if OP is not the only person who has that problem.

10 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

First is pointless, second little less, but you can also give advice to reinstalling system, all drivers, replacing SSD etc. It's just guessing and it may be also problem with hardware (bad memory) or overclocking (made by user or, in case GPU, made by producer), so stock values (or underclock GPU) may help as well. But most probably is just bad game code if OP is not the only person who has that problem.

the first is not pointless, it is a guranteed hard reset on the game files, so that if anything that may be corrupted is replaced. and if you're such a genius with what will and won't work, why did you bother making a thread asking for help? i mean, clearly everyone elses thoughts are irrelevant so why bother posting?

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

49 minutes ago, GrockleTD said:

(...) why did you bother making a thread asking for help?

I am not OP here.

I'm just saying that advices like "reinstal xxx" (where "xxx" is anything - system, game, drivers etc.) is just standard action that everyone knows and can try. If someone asks for help, probably expect something more like "try to reinstall everything". For example - maybe there is someone who has problems with Dirt Rally and know a solution. I was only helping with SMT and agreed that users' solution (from link that OP paste here) may be valuable, because they referred to this specific game on AMD processors. Game itself do not crash (unlike some games that crashes no matter what configuration do you have).

1 hour ago, homeap5 said:

My PC is fine, its the game. I will try SMT later. How is this called in Aorus Pro x570 Bios btw?

3 hours ago, MS-DOS said:

Why can't this relatively new game not work on new computers but rFactor 1, a game from ages ago, works? Are you fucking joking.

That's because they are running on DIFFERENT game engines and even modern game engines will have issues with certain hardware.

If this is and issue with SMT, you can just disable multithreading without having to change any BIOS setting by going into the set launch section within the games properties (that is in the right-click menu in the library list in steam) and type -onethread into the box and select OK and see if it works then (and if it doesn't or it doesn't work properly, then you'll have to go through with disabling SMT).

1 hour ago, demonix00 said:

That's because they are running on DIFFERENT game engines and even modern game engines will have issues with certain hardware.

If this is and issue with SMT, you can just disable multithreading without having to change any BIOS setting by going into the set launch section within the games properties (that is in the right-click menu in the library list in steam) and type -onethread into the box and select OK and see if it works then (and if it doesn't or it doesn't work properly, then you'll have to go through with disabling SMT).

Uninstalling and installing the game didnt work, -onethread didnt work, I want to try SMT disabled but cant find it on the BIOS of my mobo:

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_x570-aorus-pro-wifi_v2_e.pdf

Any clue were its located?

1 hour ago, demonix00 said:

Okay I tried SMT disabled... doesnt work 😷

I assume that it's the only game that crashes?

I would check memory anyway (maybe run game with only single ram stick), but also try to underclock gpu using MSI Afterburner (core and memory speed to minus max). It's easy to do anyway. Or, as alternative, try to run game with vertical sync on in Nvidia control panel.

This is all just guessing of course. As I said, in my case game never crash even one time.

Btw. what about editing xml game file like someone suggested in your link?