Quad nvme Raid 0

Go to solution Solved by Bombastinator,
3 hours ago, JESUS IS LORD said:

RAID 0 takes the speed of one drive and the speed of the second drive and nearly doubles the speed. So yes running faster is better

Except it sometimes isn’t.  One issue is human perception of time.  Instant is instant.  If you shave a 3/16th of a second off something that takes 1/4 second it’s a massive improvement clock wise, but a near zero improvement perception wise.  The other problem is by nearly quadrupling speed you increase fragility by x8 (2x2x2).   There might be a reason to do it if those 3/16ths of a second become critically important.  Currently they just aren’t for gaming though.

I Have an Asus B450-f Gaming Motherboard

It has 2 Nvme m.2 slots and I can do 2x pci 16x to m.2 adapters. I would like to do 4 Nvme Drives .

Will I be able to raid 0, 4 x Nvme drives for a windows boot drive with my board?

I have external storage to save all my important stuff ... 

I was thinking ... about getting these 

https://www.newegg.com/mushkin-enhanced-helix-l-250gb/p/N82E16820226897  .

I have had 3 in nvme running on this board and currently have 2 in raid 0 

Option 2

2 separate  Raid 0 with 2 drives per raid - This would be the best and cheapest method as I would only need to buy 2 drives and 1 adapter

Will my board be able to allocate the full Bandwidth to the drives? 

I would assume a software RAID 0 would be possible but honestly why bother? You can get a 3000 MB/s or faster NVME drive for not that much money and it would be faster due to less latency and far less likely to fail. Is there a reason you need that much bandwith internally?

5 hours ago, Applefreak said:

I would assume a software RAID 0 would be possible but honestly why bother? You can get a 3000 MB/s or faster NVME drive for not that much money and it would be faster due to less latency and far less likely to fail. Is there a reason you need that much bandwith internally?

RAID 0 takes the speed of one drive and the speed of the second drive and nearly doubles the speed. So yes running faster is better

6 hours ago, Applefreak said:

The only reason I can possibly see to do it is out of fear of the undescribed unnamed Ps5 storage stuff.  That is about latency perhaps though and a quad raid0 might not help with that.  It’s a problem that is 8 months away and very likely either won’t be needed or won’t help if it does.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

What are you defining as speed? Latency barely changes in raid0. The throughput may double if the 3 Gigabyte / second is your bottleneck.

Except it sometimes isn’t.  One issue is human perception of time.  Instant is instant.  If you shave a 3/16th of a second off something that takes 1/4 second it’s a massive improvement clock wise, but a near zero improvement perception wise.  The other problem is by nearly quadrupling speed you increase fragility by x8 (2x2x2).   There might be a reason to do it if those 3/16ths of a second become critically important.  Currently they just aren’t for gaming though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

well there is that and if you loose a drive, which i have done in the past , you have to replace it and loose your raid 0... i was just thinking it would run insanely fast and its like owning a beater or Ferrari...  

19 minutes ago, JESUS IS LORD said:

well there is that and if you loose a drive, which i have done in the past , you have to replace it and loose your raid 0... i was just thinking it would run insanely fast and its like owning a beater or Ferrari...  

Oh it would.  A single nvme is already insanely fast though. Poof you’re there is still poof you’re there.  I’ve seen a couple 2x raid0s with nvme attempted.  The opinion seems to have been it was kind of pointless unless you were doing some sort of specific work that involved extremely large files, and even then only kinda

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Oh it would.  A single nvme is already insanely fast though. Poof you’re there is still poof you’re there.  I’ve seen a couple 2x raid0s with nvme attempted.  The opinion seems to have been it was kind of pointless unless you were doing some sort of specific work that involved extremely large files, and even then only kinda

200 FPS is also pointless , yet gamers like high fps ... RGB is also pointless and yet we love some RGB.. its a matter of when you transfer something it doing it near instantly rather than waiting, windows loads faster mainly i want enough storage space to run games on instead of a hard drive...  

my current speeds ... slow for nvme in raid 0 .. it is on ryzen 7 1700 so 24 pci lanes ... maybe not enough bandwidth ? 

Untitled - ATTO Disk Benchmark 4.01.0f1 4_8_2020 5_57_09 PM.png