Severe stuttering in all online games

OnlyAxolotl

I stutter in ALL games online, Nothing I do has fixed the issues, over 3 years of trying to play PC games.

The stutter represents frametime spikes not rubber banding but don't seem to happen in offline titles.

I have build my PC twice from the ground up and no matter what I do games like Rust stutter constantly. In fact any online game I play stutters all the way. People tell me they have no stutters on the same hardware. For example a new game Last oasis (when the server weren't down) I was playing with a group of 10+ people and they all said it was smooth. For me it stuttered horribly. It makes gaming so unenjoyable and frustrating.

Things I have done:

1. Upgraded GPU

2. Upgraded CPU

3. RAM

4. Installed numerous versions of windows cleanly with no other programs running than game testing. Over 20 Different windows installs

5. Used numerous SSSd's and HDD's.

6. DDU'd Numerous NVIDIA drivers.

7. Upgraded Router and changed ISP.

8. Tried advanced steps like disabling HPET ETC.

9. Limited FPS so not to CPU bottneck

10. Tried all setting low and high makes no difference

11. Tired a 4g connection from my mobile using a bought wifi adapter

Don't know what to do and at this point, all I want to do is play while everyone is home bound, but cant because of constant stuttering, getting really depressing and gaming is an outlet for me.

What's strange is that offline games seem fine. it's just online titles that lag and I have used a 4g connection to no avail.

Maybe its the motherboard or the way it handles the signal for both Ethernet and wireless?

16gb 2400Mhz

860 Evo

Evga gold g2 650w

A video would help show what you're trying to describe. Network issues usually have little to no effect on in-game performance.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

23 minutes ago, johndole25 said:

I stutter in ALL games online, Nothing I do has fixed the issues, over 3 years of trying to play PC games.

The stutter represents frametime spikes not rubber banding but don't seem to happen in offline titles.

I have build my PC twice from the ground up and no matter what I do games like Rust stutter constantly. In fact any online game I play stutters all the way. People tell me they have no stutters on the same hardware. For example a new game Last oasis (when the server weren't down) I was playing with a group of 10+ people and they all said it was smooth. For me it stuttered horribly. It makes gaming so unenjoyable and frustrating.

Things I have done:

1. Upgraded GPU

2. Upgraded CPU

3. RAM

4. Installed numerous versions of windows cleanly with no other programs running than game testing. Over 20 Different windows installs

5. Used numerous SSSd's and HDD's.

6. DDU'd Numerous NVIDIA drivers.

7. Upgraded Router and changed ISP.

8. Tried advanced steps like disabling HPET ETC.

9. Limited FPS so not to CPU bottneck

10. Tried all setting low and high makes no difference

11. Tired a 4g connection from my mobile using a bought wifi adapter

Don't know what to do and at this point, all I want to do is play while everyone is home bound, but cant because of constant stuttering, getting really depressing and gaming is an outlet for me.

What's strange is that offline games seem fine. it's just online titles that lag and I have used a 4g connection to no avail.

Maybe its the motherboard or the way it handles the signal for both Ethernet and wireless?

16gb 2400Mhz

860 Evo

Evga gold g2 650w

It could be your internet, high ping rates can cause stutters that are not FPS drops.

How do you connect to the internet, wifi or ethernet? Have you tried getting a cheap NIC card, wouldn't have to be gigabit. If you are connecting via ethernet, disable onboard wifi if you have it in BIOS or vice versa.

Also what's your ping in milliseconds to google.com?

36 minutes ago, Broskiez said:

It could be your internet, high ping rates can cause stutters that are not FPS drops.

I have both good ping on my internet and 4g connection. 

34 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

How do you connect to the internet, wifi or ethernet? Have you tried getting a cheap NIC card, wouldn't have to be gigabit. If you are connecting via ethernet, disable onboard wifi if you have it in BIOS or vice versa.

Also what's your ping in milliseconds to google.com?

I have tried both ethernet and 4g mobile connection. Might have to buy one yeah, but I fear its the way my motherboard is handling connections. I already disabled Intel LAN in the BIOS. Edit: Just purcahsed a NIC gigabit PCI Ethernet only for 8.99

Ping is around 10ms on wethernet and 50ms on 4G (this was just for testing)

18 minutes ago, johndole25 said:

I have both good ping on my internet and 4g connection. 

4G is awful for gaming. Tons of jitter and packet loss. 

Can you capture a video so we can see what you're talking about?

1 hour ago, Vitamanic said:

A video would help show what you're trying to describe. Network issues usually have little to no effect on in-game performance.

Well fairly poor quality for some reason, I didn't know they compressed it so much.

It microstutters a lot.

https://vimeo.com/404343107

1 minute ago, Vitamanic said:

4G is awful for gaming. Tons of jitter and packet loss. 

Can you capture a video so we can see what you're talking about?

I don't use 4g, it was just a test to see if it was Ethernet that was causing the issue.

5 minutes ago, johndole25 said:

Well fairly poor quality for some reason, I didn't know they compressed it so much.

It microstutters a lot.

https://vimeo.com/404343107

That looks to me like an asset streaming issue. Are you running the game off of a mechanical drive? If it's an SSD, is it almost full?

21 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

That looks to me like an asset streaming issue. Are you running the game off of a mechanical drive? If it's an SSD, is it almost full?

No its off a 860, I have performed a Smausng magician test and it says it is perfectly working. 100 or so gb free

This is what my frametime look like now in a lot of titles https://imgur.com/a/e2zoAXB

Cpu is normal https://imgur.com/a/BlfxM20

Just moved it to my other SSD and its the same

17 minutes ago, johndole25 said:

No its off a 860, I have performed a Smausng magician test and it says it is perfectly working. 100 or so gb free

This is what my frametime look like now in a lot of titles https://imgur.com/a/e2zoAXB

Cpu is normal https://imgur.com/a/BlfxM20

It still looks like an asset streaming issue. You can tell at the end of your video when the game tried to call the UI element that it completely choked for half a second.

Run this on your SSD and post the results: https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskmark/

Then run this and post a screenshot: https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

It's also worth noting that the game you're playing is marked "pre alpha" and probably isn't the best example to be giving. Most games in this stage run terribly. Are the other multiplayer titles early release as well or are there fully released titles mixed in too?

10 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

It still looks like an asset streaming issue. You can tell at the end of your video when the game tried to call the UI element that it completely choked for half a second.

Run this on your SSD and post the results: https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskmark/

Then run this and post a screenshot: https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

It's also worth noting that the game you're playing is marked "pre alpha" and probably isn't the best example to be giving. Most games in this stage run terribly. Are the other multiplayer titles early release as well or are there fully released titles mixed in too?

While I am using this example, they made a performance a priory and everyone I play with a group of over 10 have no such stuttering even on worse hardware. All games including triple AA fps games stutter online. Any game that is offline is fine. For exmaple "Mindball play" runs completely fine.

I'll complete the test

What UI element and whats this a sign of?

35 minutes ago, johndole25 said:

https://imgur.com/a/potcXsW

Both seem fine, I just cant wrap my head around this shit

Are you running multiple monitors? Are you running games in windowed fullscreen or in fullscreen exclusive? Another thing to look at would be checking your frame times while running a game with v-sync in exclusive fullscreen.

As far as what I was referring to, towards the end of the video you came across something that wanted you to press "f" or something to pick up an item or interact.

59 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

Are you running multiple monitors? Are you running games in windowed fullscreen or in fullscreen exclusive? Another thing to look at would be checking your frame times while running a game with v-sync in exclusive fullscreen.

As far as what I was referring to, towards the end of the video you came across something that wanted you to press "f" or something to pick up an item or interact.

Fullscreen exclusive, one monitor 144hz, have limited in RTSS. Already tried V-sync makes no difference.

3 hours ago, johndole25 said:

Fullscreen exclusive, one monitor 144hz, have limited in RTSS. Already tried V-sync makes no difference.

V-sync should just about eliminate frame time issues. Either the frame is there on refresh, or it isn't and the previous one gets doubled and your fps gets halved. 

With those consistent 100ms spikes you showed, you would regularly see FPS dips into the teens, if not single digits with v-sync on. Does that happen for you when you enable it?

All of that said, I think there's an easy way to rule out your network causing the problem. Load up something like CS:GO, Half Life or Rocket League and play offline with bots, take a look at frame times with v-sync on. Then go and play a match online and compare the results. If you don't see a difference, then the network isn't the cause.

On 4/6/2020 at 2:20 AM, Vitamanic said:

V-sync should just about eliminate frame time issues. Either the frame is there on refresh, or it isn't and the previous one gets doubled and your fps gets halved. 

With those consistent 100ms spikes you showed, you would regularly see FPS dips into the teens, if not single digits with v-sync on. Does that happen for you when you enable it?

All of that said, I think there's an easy way to rule out your network causing the problem. Load up something like CS:GO, Half Life or Rocket League and play offline with bots, take a look at frame times with v-sync on. Then go and play a match online and compare the results. If you don't see a difference, then the network isn't the cause.

Ordered a new NIC, did nothing. Fresh windows install, have tested all hardware for errors individually nothing. V-sync doesnt help

It's a mystery.

• 11 months later...
On 4/11/2020 at 3:37 PM, OnlyAxolotl said:

Any suggestions?

did you manage to fix this issue yet? if not then I guess this issue is from your country route which something you can't do about. try playing games that have local servers in your country and see if this fix the problem and if it did not then this issue is from your country infrastructure (problems in lines that connect you to the Internet no matter what is your ISP.