Brand new Model Ms, made in USA, built like trucks, $94. Best deal in keyboards. Change my mind.

funkmon

Honestly, it's a hell of a deal when we look at all these specialty keyboards out there. You get thick metal ones, it's running you like $80 just for the case. The Model M is gigantic and heavy just like those. The switches have something very sought after by a lot of mechanical keyboard enthusiasts in that the click and the bump occur at the precise moment of actuation. The switches are, for those who like loud keyboards, the best you can buy. They're built like trucks, and they've been made in Lexington, KY for almost 30 years. I ordered mine and got it two days later. It has modernish features like USB and Windows keys. It lacks N key rollover, but I never need that anyway.

The best part though, is the keyfeel and sound. It's hard to explain the keyfeel other than, like, imagine if MX blues were heavier and the bump was gigantic. The sound goes thwock thwock thwock, not click click click. It's really night and day.

I have an old one sitting around which I loved, but I couldn't get over not having Windows keys and the desktop shortcuts that provided, so I moved on to some Kailh, Gateron, Outemu, Cherry, Razer, ALPS etc. switches to try and get something I liked as much as the Model M with a bleeding Windows key, but nothing sat right.

spacer.png

Eventually, after watching some youtube videos, I just decided to suck it up and buy a new one from Unicomp, the current manufacturer of the keyboards. It feels and sounds basically the same as my old Model M! Perfecto. It was made less than a month ago, too. Right off the line! I love my new keyboard, and it's better than anything else I've tried, even those $250 crazy keyboards. It feels so nice. The housing is creaky, but the internals are like a yacht. Great stuff. I love that something that I thought couldn't follow me into the present, or indeed the future, is everything I needed it to be. I played Destiny 2 with it last night and had a lot of fun.

Best computer buy I've ever made.

2 hours ago, merco said:

Doesn't even have RGB.

It has the B part on the indicator lights! That's 33%!

So what I'm hearing is that you get 60% of the keyboard for 400% of the price. :P

31 minutes ago, funkmon said:

So what I'm hearing is that you get 60% of the keyboard for 400% of the price. :P

Well you get a superior board, you get a capacitive pcb instead of a membrane