Ubuntu Installer Problem

I'm using a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master motherboard with three M.2 ports.  I have two Sabrent PCIe 4.0 500GB M.2 and one Sabrent PCIe 4.0 1TB M.2 drives installed on the board.  I have Windows 10 Home on one of the 500GB M.2 drives.  I want to install Ubuntu Budgie on the other 500GB M.2 drive.  I've got a good bootable flash drive with Ubuntu Budgie on it.  Upon trying to install Ubuntu, everything was going fine until I got to where to choose how and where to install.  The last option brings up something that looks kind of like G-Parted where all the drives and partitions are listed.   I CAN find the 500GB M.2 drive where I want to install Ubuntu.  There is a button there to push once I've made my selection.  I highlight the proper drive and click on the button and nothing happens.  At the bottom of that page there is ANOTHER list of the drives.  I figured out how to list the drive I wanted, clicked the button and nothing.  Again.  I decided that maybe it was a bad installer, or maybe some glitch, so I made another bootable flash drive with Solus Budgie.  Upon trying to install, I ran into the same exact problem.  I think Ubuntu Budgie and Solus use the same installer.  This makes me think that maybe I just don't know what I'm doing.  I looked on the internet and on Youtube for dual booting to two M.2 drives on the same motherboard and came up empty.  I know (and have known) that you can disable all the drives except the one you want to install on but all the examples I found were for drives not on the motherboard and easily disabled.  My drives are pretty much buried under the CPU cooler and Graphics card, so I need to know how to make the selection on the installer page that wants me to select where I want to install.  Either the installer isn't allowing to make this selection for some reason, or I'm just missing some step to make it happen.  I'm kind of leaning towards "I'm a dummy that doesn't know how".  Please help.

There is no right or wrong... only popular opinion, political correctness, and government edict.

Hmm, I probably would try using GParted on the Ubuntu live system to create the partitions. This has worked for me before when the installer didn't worked. Even if there is something wrong GParted probably will give you a better error message. Afterwards you can just chose the already created partitions in the installer. Ask if you don't now how to/what partitions to create.

Also you could try seeing what's in the installer log:

1. Press Ctrl+Alt+F3

2. Login as ubuntu, empty password

3. run

tail -f /var/log/installer/debug

If if does not show you the relevant errors either use

less /var/log/installer/debug

for the whole log (you can scroll with the Arrow keys) or switch back to the installer try confirming the selection again and switch back to the log. You can switch between different screen by using Ctrl+Alt+F*, where * is the number of the screen. Usually the GUI runs on F1 or F7, but you just can switch through all to find it again.

lal12,  The drive I want to install to is an empty 500GB M.2 drive formatted by windows so that it would show up in "My PC".  I can find that "partition" on the page in two different spots and highlight it.  The "select" button just doesnt do anything.  The installer log would tell me why it didn't work?  I'm 68 and very tech limited.  What kind of things might it say?  I ask this because if it is written in "tech speak", I probably wouldn't understand.

There is no right or wrong... only popular opinion, political correctness, and government edict.

2 hours ago, Anus_McSphincter said:

The drive I want to install to is an empty 500GB M.2 drive formatted by windows so that it would show up in "My PC"

Yes Ubuntu Budgie and Solus Budgie both use the same installer, as they are based on Debian Budgie the core of the OS.

Windows and Linux use completely different file systems. Windows uses FAT32/NTFS whereas Linux tends to use ext4 (there are many others too, but this is the most common). So there is no point in formatting the drive in windows when it needs to be reformatted again when installing linux.

Once linux is installed Windows wont be able to see the drive.

The installer should be capable of reformatting the drive on its own. Can you post screenshot of where installer is getting stuck?

4 hours ago, Anus_McSphincter said:

What kind of things might it say?

Well hard to say, without trying it. But I guess something with error or warning in front of it. I would suggest:

1. Going up to the point during the installation where it won't continue

2. Share a photo on that screen here

3. Change to the other terminal Ctrl+Alt+F3

4. Login as ubuntu, empty password

5. run

tail -f /var/log/installer/debug

6. Make a photo of that, post it here.

7. press enter a couple of times, until you have some space beneath the last text

8. Switch back to the installation screen. For that press Ctrl+Alt+F1. If this does not take you back to the installation screen, try all F keys.

9. Try to continue where you were stuck before. ( I guess press the select button )

10. Switch with Ctrl+Alt+F3 to the other screen, make a picture and post it here.