Raid0 drive CRC errors

Gdog

Hello,

I have two Seagate Barracuda 2TB drives set up as a 4TB Raid0 array (via the BIOS). The 2nd drive seems to be having some issues and I noticed some CRC errors when backing up.

I suspect this is a minor issue as I was only unable to back up about 15MB (three 5MB mp3s) of data from 2.33 TB worth of data.

What tools can I use to diagnose the scale of the issue and, if it is just a few bad sectors, I'd prefer to continue using the array and have them marked as bad.

Any advice welcome.

7 minutes ago, Gdog said:

Hello,

I have two Seagate Barracuda 2TB drives set up as a 4TB Raid0 array (via the BIOS). The 2nd drive seems to be having some issues and I noticed some CRC errors when backing up.

I suspect this is a minor issue as I was only unable to back up about 15MB (three 5MB mp3s) of data from 2.33 TB worth of data.

What tools can I use to diagnose the scale of the issue and, if it is just a few bad sectors, I'd prefer to continue using the array and have them marked as bad.

Any advice welcome.

CRC errors are never minor.

Download SeaTools for Windows (Seagate's drive program) and see what it has to say, but it's time to replace the drive.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Frankly you should not use Barracuda drives for RAID, it's a miracle they did not separate already. You need RAID optimized drives. As @Radium_Angel mentioned, check with Sea Tools, do a full surface scan. May take some time. If you have warranty, make a screenshot of the errors, makes RMA a lot easier.  

For RAID you want to use drives like:

Western Digital: RE, Gold, Red or Red Pro

Seagate: IronWolf, IronWolf Pro, Exos

Thank you @Applefreak & @Radium_Angel

SeaTools gives me the option the scan and fix bad sectors, I understand this will take a while but will it break the raid?

Edited by Gdog

17 minutes ago, Gdog said:

fix bad sectors

17 minutes ago, Gdog said:

break the raid?

If the drive is of questionable health, then yes, it might

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

The drive passed SMART but failed when tested due to bad sectors. I believe there are only a few bad sectors, I don't see an option to test for the exact amount of bad sectors without also fixing them...

Another question please:

I decided I'm going to get two 4TB drives for Raid1, I see these two, one is slightly more expensive but has 4x the cache and NCQ, would have any any opinions on either of these? Would the cache be worth the extra 20% in price?

IronWolf

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/4tb-seagate-ironwolf-nas-hard-drive-35-sata-iii-6gb-s-5900rpm-64mb-cache

WD Red

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/4tb-wd-red-wd40efax-35-nas-hdd-sata-iii-6gb-s-5400rpm-256mb-cache-ncq-oem

Thanks again

51 minutes ago, Gdog said:

Another question please:

I decided I'm going to get two 4TB drives for Raid1, I see these two, one is slightly more expensive but has 4x the cache and NCQ, would have any any opinions on either of these? Would the cache be worth the extra 20% in price?

IronWolf

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/4tb-seagate-ironwolf-nas-hard-drive-35-sata-iii-6gb-s-5900rpm-64mb-cache

WD Red

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/4tb-wd-red-wd40efax-35-nas-hdd-sata-iii-6gb-s-5400rpm-256mb-cache-ncq-oem

Thanks again

Just a heads up on the WD40EFAX they are SMR drives.

I say go with the ST4000VN008 (the Seagate linked above) as it is a PMR drive.