IPS Screen Recommendations?

eQuilibrium
Go to solution Solved by asickduckie,

For a monitor that cheap, i wanna know all the Pros and Cons, this is for a friends business of graphics designing and don't really want to cheap out on the monitors, but not too crazy expensive either. So if you could to that, that would be awesome.

Sounds good, can't find it anywhere though? Any faults/worries you can pick?

Hmm yeah i saw that one as well, personal experience or highly recommended from people you know?

EIZO, NEC and Dell monitors are pretty much the only ones I'd go with for graphics designing. They're the three most trustworthy by far. EIZO and NEC are out of your price range for their monitors, but there are many ultrasharps (the dell models that start with Uxxxx) that are great and don't cost a thousand dollars. Don't go for AOC, Acer or any of the others. Stick with dell, and I would get a U2414H at that price range because it's the newest dell ultrasharp that doesn't cost a fortune, and has the newest panel. 

Ok,So as the topic title states - i'm after a quality IPS Screen.
23 Inch is what i'm after, 27 is too big as I will be running a dual-screen set-up.
I have a price range of around say MAX 325. Australian Dollars.
I want something you guys would recommend/have used and aren't disappointed with.
Graphics designing, not gaming.

Thanks in advance :D

CPU i5 6600K | Mobo Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 | Cooling H80i | MSI GTX970 Gaming 4GB in SLi | Geil Super Luce 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 | Intel 330 120GB | 2 x 1TB WD Black | Corsair Air 540 | XFX ProSeries 1250W. | Corsair K70 Anodised Black Cherry Reds | Logitech G502 | Dell U2713HM | Red LED Lighting.

Portable Gamer - Metabox Alpha W370SS - CPU i7 4710MQ | RAM 8GB 1600MHz | Nvidia GTX 860M 2GB GDDR5 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD | 17.3" Matte Display 72% Gamut
Back-up - HP Pavilion dv6 - Ancient Stuff - P7550 @ 2.26gHz  | DDR2 4GB | Kingston HyperX 120Gb SSD | ATi 4550m (fried)

Dell Ultrasharp U2312m

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I have a LG Flatron IPS231, which I got for quite cheap a year ago, something like 200 euros here in the Netherlands. Maybe you can look into that. This LG monitor is quite good, I can't complain with it and the price was also very good. 

I usually do some Photoshop and Illustrator work on it and the color accuracy is awesome. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Dell Ultrasharp U2312m

is this from personal experience? or positive word-of-mouth?

CPU i5 6600K | Mobo Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 | Cooling H80i | MSI GTX970 Gaming 4GB in SLi | Geil Super Luce 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 | Intel 330 120GB | 2 x 1TB WD Black | Corsair Air 540 | XFX ProSeries 1250W. | Corsair K70 Anodised Black Cherry Reds | Logitech G502 | Dell U2713HM | Red LED Lighting.

Portable Gamer - Metabox Alpha W370SS - CPU i7 4710MQ | RAM 8GB 1600MHz | Nvidia GTX 860M 2GB GDDR5 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD | 17.3" Matte Display 72% Gamut
Back-up - HP Pavilion dv6 - Ancient Stuff - P7550 @ 2.26gHz  | DDR2 4GB | Kingston HyperX 120Gb SSD | ATi 4550m (fried)

I got my AOC I2367FH and I'm not disappointed with it at all, except for the stand, it seems to allow the monitor to move to much. But that only happens because you can actually not use the stand and make it rest on your desk while still being vertical. The colours are really good as well as the response time, though since you won't be gaming it won't matter much. It's even only $200 so it's a very nice monitor. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

is this from personal experience? or positive word-of-mouth?

I have one. that's my main monitor. It's fantastic in most every way

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Graphics designing, not gaming.

U2414H (23.8 inch) is the newest creme de la creme Dell monitor. Looks sexy too ;) , but has amazing color reproduction. It's sRGB gamut is 96%, which is pretty damn excellent, but it's not a 10 bit panel either (you would have to pay a lot more for one AFAIK)

Costs exactly 327 AUD on ebay.com.au

I got my AOC I2367FH and I'm not disappointed with it at all, except for the stand, it seems to allow the monitor to move to much. But that only happens because you can actually not use the stand and make it rest on your desk while still being vertical. The colours are really good as well as the response time, though since you won't be gaming it won't matter much. It's even only $200 so it's a very nice monitor. 

For a monitor that cheap, i wanna know all the Pros and Cons, this is for a friends business of graphics designing and don't really want to cheap out on the monitors, but not too crazy expensive either. So if you could to that, that would be awesome.

U2414H (23.8 inch) is the newest creme de la creme Dell monitor. Looks sexy too ;) , but has amazing color reproduction. It's sRGB gamut is 96%, which is pretty damn excellent, but it's not a 10 bit panel either (you would have to pay a lot more for one AFAIK)

Hmm yeah i saw that one as well, personal experience or highly recommended from people you know?

I have this one (U2312HM) and it's a really great monitor. I highly recommend it.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

It has really good color and it's calibrated at the factory. has 90%+  sRGB coverage

it's less expensive than the U2412H but retains all the features

Mine was a Refurb from Newegg, have had no issues with it at all!

great monitor!

Hail Sithis!

EIZO, NEC and Dell monitors are pretty much the only ones I'd go with for graphics designing. They're the three most trustworthy by far. EIZO and NEC are out of your price range for their monitors, but there are many ultrasharps (the dell models that start with Uxxxx) that are great and don't cost a thousand dollars. Don't go for AOC, Acer or any of the others. Stick with dell, and I would get a U2414H at that price range because it's the newest dell ultrasharp that doesn't cost a fortune, and has the newest panel. 

I have this one (U2312HM) and it's a really great monitor. I highly recommend it.

yay it's like we're related!

can I call you dad?

jk

Hail Sithis!

Here's the only good review on that monitor (from tftcentral as always, by far the best monitor reviews bar none)

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2414h.htm

It also compared the U2414H to other dell monitors such as the U2413 the other guy's recommending in graphs and such, so you can see for yourself and make up your mind. 

It has really good color and it's calibrated at the factory. has 90%+  sRGB coverage

it's less expensive than the U2412H but retains all the features

Mine was a Refurb from Newegg, have had no issues with it at all!

great monitor!

Alright sweet, thanks heaps man !

Thanks for the Insight, my friend was thinking about and ASUS IPS Screen, what do you think of those? I recommended dell, but wanted a community opinion.

OK great, thanks heaps. :D

It has a very good colour range, looks quite good, imo, as it doesn't have a border around the edges so multi-monitor displays are quite good. It hasn't got great speakers but for graphic designing you probably wont use them. I like it as it is good and cheap, not fantastic in features but for $200 it's a tempting buy. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

It has a very good colour range, looks quite good, imo, as it doesn't have a border around the edges so multi-monitor displays are quite good. It hasn't got great speakers but for graphic designing you probably wont use them. I like it as it is good and cheap, not fantastic in features but for $200 it's a tempting buy. 

Well judging from what @asickduckie Just Said to me, i think i may just skip on your suggestion.

But thanks for taking your time to put your word in. Appreciated.

Alright sweet, thanks heaps man !

Thanks for the Insight, my friend was thinking about and ASUS IPS Screen, what do you think of those? I recommended dell, but wanted a community opinion.

OK great, thanks heaps. :D

ASUS IPS screens CAN be great (PA 248Q comes to mind at that price range, it's precalibrated and fantastic), but other Asus IPS monitors kinda suck, and I mean it.

Some of them use horrible IPS panels and yet they are still very popular on US websites, so you shouldn't just go by customer reviews. Like the others, I wouldn't recommend anything else than dell otherwise. Just look at the PB 248Q (non- pre calibrated) and PA 248 Q if your friend wants to go Asus, anything else that's in the price range or lower and IPS from Asus really sucks. Personally, I'd stick with dell though, because they are more used to professional customers and have a better warranty for their ultrasharp line (I may be wrong on this)

Is there much difference between the

Dell U2312HM
Dell U2412M
Dell U2414H

Because I've seen in heaps of threads all these names thrown around and variations of these which people mix the names together and it's hard to tell which they mean since they're named so similarly. In Australia all 3 are similarly priced so out of the 3 which would you guys choose? 

ASUS IPS screens CAN be great (PA 248Q comes to mind at that price range, it's precalibrated and fantastic), but other Asus IPS monitors kinda suck, and I mean it.

Some of them use horrible IPS panels and yet they are still very popular on US websites, so you shouldn't just go by customer reviews. Like the others, I wouldn't recommend anything else than dell otherwise. Just look at the PB 248Q (non- pre calibrated) and PA 248 Q if your friend wants to go Asus, anything else that's in the price range or lower and IPS from Asus really sucks. Personally, I'd stick with dell though, because they are more used to professional customers and have a better warranty for their ultrasharp line (I may be wrong on this)

Ok, thanks heaps man, my friend and i were thinking this monitor, Link: http://www.centrecom.com.au/asus-23-mx239h-ips-led-mx239h-5ms-1920x1080-hdmi-dvi-d-sub

But it seems as though we'll be sticking with Dell as everyone recommends them, and I have a Dell screen personally. Thanks, again.

Ok, thanks heaps man, my friend and i were thinking this monitor, Link: http://www.centrecom.com.au/asus-23-mx239h-ips-led-mx239h-5ms-1920x1080-hdmi-dvi-d-sub

But it seems as though we'll be sticking with Dell as everyone recommends them, and I have a Dell screen personally. Thanks, again.

I'd stick with a Dell monitor too. I've seen first hand the sub-par IPS panels that Asus seem to be fond of using.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

MX239H is a decent IPS monitor, but nowhere near as good for what your friend wants to do, which is graphic designing. The ultrasharp series is for the most part made for professionals, and as such, their models are a lot more color accurate (the most important part about professional monitors). If you can find some good NEC or EIZO IPS monitors under 350 AUD though, you should definitely consider as well, because they are two other great professional monitor brands. 

I'd stick with a Dell monitor too. I've seen first hand the sub-par IPS panels that Asus seem to be fond of using.

Yep, people need to be careful when buying monitors. While most IPS monitors are really good, there are some really crappy ones out there, and unfortunately many asus monitors seem to use horrible IPS panels. Just like TN,  with IPS not all panels are equal so you shouldn't just go based on the technology itself but actually look into detailed reviews. 

ima get dat next month.