Am i being bottlenecked?

LokiiNeedsHelp

I have a ryzen 5 3600 and a gtx 1060 6gb, according to that bottleneck calculator website im being bottlenecked pretty heavily by my gpu

Is this true?

Bottleneck calculators are bogus. Whether or not a piece of hardware is holding you back depends entirely on the game and performance target.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

Bottleneck calculators are bogus. Whether or not a piece of hardware is holding you back depends entirely on the game and performance target.

Is my GPU bottlenecking my CPU though? I get less frames than what i expect with my cpu and gpu

4 minutes ago, LokiiNeedsHelp said:

Is my GPU bottlenecking my CPU though?

Really there's really not such a thing as a GPU bottleneck, since the GPU is at the end of the chain.

8 minutes ago, LokiiNeedsHelp said:

calculator website

Doesn't sound too reliable.

5 minutes ago, LokiiNeedsHelp said:

I get less frames than what i expect with my cpu and gpu

What led you to the expecation you have?

Main rig:

• Ryzen 3600X • X370 Killer SLI • 16GB Corsair LPX 3200Mhz • Strix 1070ti • Define R5 • SuperNova 750 G2 • Evo 1TB + X300 4TB •

Secondary rig:

• Acer prebuilt • Rzyen 1700X (upgraded) • OEM 1060 3GB • 256GB SSD + 1TB Seagate (upgraded) •

6 minutes ago, LokiiNeedsHelp said:

Is my GPU bottlenecking my CPU though? I get less frames than what i expect with my cpu and gpu

Stop using such calculators. Your GPU is currently being used to its full potential - no need to worry.

15 minutes ago, LokiiNeedsHelp said:

You still have not told us what games and target resolution or refresh rate, I cannot tell you if the 1060 is bad for your use. As for what you "expect," why do you expect it?

9 minutes ago, Tundral said:

Really there's really not such a thing as a GPU bottleneck

The neck of a literal bottle is at the end of the bottle, the term bottleneck only refers to a component that is too weak for the use case

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Stop using such calculators. Your GPU is currently being used to its full potential - no need to worry.

Its like 30-40% usage during games

You still have not told us what games and target resolution or refresh rate, I cannot tell you if the 1060 is bad for your use. As for what you "expect," why do you expect it?

The neck of a literal bottle is at the end of the bottle, the term bottleneck only refers to a component that is too weak for the use case

I have a 144hz monitor, and my target is around 200 fps

The games are rainbow 6, Modern warfare, Overwatch

I play all of them at the lowest settings, i get up to 200 in rainbow but it dips to like 130-140 if i have obs running

MW gets below 100 fps even on the lowest settings

For overwatch ill get around 200ish and it can dip to 144, like in rainbow

8 minutes ago, Tundral said:

Really there's really not such a thing as a GPU bottleneck, since the GPU is at the end of the chain.

Doesn't sound too reliable.

What led you to the expecation you have?

I think i should be getting more than 90ish fps on MW on all settings to their lowest

1 minute ago, LokiiNeedsHelp said:

Well that would mean the exact opposite, your CPU would be bottlenecking your GPU in that case. Though I suspect it's some other issue since the 3600 should be fine.

This also does vary game to game, on a 1060 you might never hit 100% usage in a game like CS:GO for example

Main rig:

• Ryzen 3600X • X370 Killer SLI • 16GB Corsair LPX 3200Mhz • Strix 1070ti • Define R5 • SuperNova 750 G2 • Evo 1TB + X300 4TB •

Secondary rig:

• Acer prebuilt • Rzyen 1700X (upgraded) • OEM 1060 3GB • 256GB SSD + 1TB Seagate (upgraded) •

I think i should be getting more than 90ish fps on MW on all settings to their lowest

And you're having this 30-40% usage in MW too?

Main rig:

Secondary rig:

5 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Well true maybe I phrased it a bit wrong. My point was just that really a CPU can bottleneck a GPU but not the other way around since IMO that's not bottlenecking anymore, just not having a good enough GPU. But then again the words don't really matter that much!

Main rig:

Secondary rig:

Just now, Tundral said:

And you're having this 30-40% usage in MW too?

I havnt checked the usage in MW , i checked in rainbow last night

6 minutes ago, LokiiNeedsHelp said:

I have a 144hz monitor, and my target is around 200 fps

The games are rainbow 6, Modern warfare, Overwatch

I play all of them at the lowest settings, i get up to 200 in rainbow but it dips to like 130-140 if i have obs running

MW gets below 100 fps even on the lowest settings

What is your memory speed? Are you using two dimms?

Primary PC:

What is your memory speed? Are you using two dimms?

16GB DDR4 3000Mhz 8GBx2

Just now, LokiiNeedsHelp said:

16GB DDR4 3000Mhz 8GBx2

Alright, your graphics card is likely the weak point then. I would have expected R6S performance to be higher but everything else makes sense, if your in game quality settings go down and the fps goes up, that means the GPU is the weak point.

Primary PC:

11 minutes ago, LokiiNeedsHelp said:

This sounds completely reasonable for your configuration

11 minutes ago, LokiiNeedsHelp said:

Sounds good

13 minutes ago, LokiiNeedsHelp said:

The low usage could also be cause by not having enough load on the GPU, which could be the case when running eSports titles at the lowest settings.

I'm not familiar MW so don't know if the 90fps is reasonable, I would consult some benchmarks of similar configurations to see what kind of performance they're getting in the game?

Edited by Tundral
added some words

Main rig:

Secondary rig:

Alright, your graphics card is likely the weak point then. I would have expected R6S performance to be higher but everything else makes sense, if your in game quality settings go down and the fps goes up, that means the GPU is the weak point.

I use the new vulkan thing which helps improve performance and without it i usually get just around 144, game like MW become really unplayable since i cant do anything below 120ish since using 144hz.

Just now, Tundral said:

This sounds completely reasonable for your configuration

Sounds good

The low usage could also be cause by not having enough load on the GPU, which could be the case when running eSports titles at the lowest settings.

I'm not familiar MW so don't know if the 90fps is reasonable, I would consult some benchmarks of similar configurations to see what kind of performance they're getting in the game?

This is MW at all the lowest settings, and i sometimes set my resolution to 720p aswell

2 minutes ago, LokiiNeedsHelp said:

120ish

Sounds like it might not be <120fps that's causing issues for you but rather some microstuttering, cause that doesn't really show in the FPS but can make the experience crappy and cause headaches etc.

Main rig:

Secondary rig:

Anything below 144fps starts to become hard to play, i notice the lack of frames

Anything below 144fps starts to become hard to play, i notice the lack of frames

So you're 100% sure there's no microstuttering?

Main rig:

Secondary rig:

Just now, Tundral said:

Sounds like it might not be <120fps that's causing issues for you but rather some microstuttering, cause that doesn't really show in the FPS but can make the experience crappy and cause headaches etc.

Anything below 144fps starts to become hard to play, i notice the lack of frames, and i dont really get headaches from it

Just now, Tundral said:

So you're 100% sure there's no microstuttering?

Yea i dont see any stutter

7 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Is it worth upgrading to a something like a 2070 or a 1080