Hi, I am new to the forum.

I am wanting to build a server it will have multiple purposes. 

• Plex media server
  • File server for video files
  • Steam cache
  • Ark server

I was hopping for advice on hardware and software. I have some hardware I can reuse. For this should I set upon VM for different task or can I use one OS? What are some things to look out for? The trigger question of do I use Linux?

any advice would be great :)

Linux is better for 99% of stuff (excluding certain games, although it's generally the anticheat's fault, and some specific programs like the Adobe suite). I'd use that. You can use one OS install for all that stuff. I would recommend Manjaro if you want something with a DE or Ubuntu Server if you want a CLI-only, server oriented OS.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Id use vms, makes it easier to manage and worth with. Id use a hypervisor like proxmox or esxi

What budget? How much sotage space? What network speeds?

You can virtualise the different services with a hypervisor. The two Electronics Wizardy mentioned I would also recommend.

You will want to choose hardware aimed towards the application of virtualization though. Not all hardware supports the functions you may like to utilize when using a hypervisor for a main OS.

What's your budget?

• 3 weeks later...

It's long term goal at the moment, maybe about £500 i have some part lying around that i can use. I was planning on buying used hardware. so setting up VM for differnent services i want to run. That makes sence.  At least about 10 TB or storage space