Egpu for mbpr 13 using an nvme adapter to tb3

Hi,

I have a 2019 donglebook pro 13 inch and would like and external gpu to go with it. I have a very low budget (under 100)and already have a spare gpu. I'm not sure if this will work at all, but could I plug in the latest version of the exp gdc dock to an nvme to tb3 adapter and run it like that.

Many thanks 

Alistair 

41 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

nope. there are no nvme ports on a macbook.

I probably haven't worded it well,but I was going to use a thunderbolt to nvme adapter. Sorry

6 hours ago, NomNomNomNom said:

I probably haven't worded it well,but I was going to use a thunderbolt to nvme adapter. Sorry

you'd need a psu, and thunderbolt to nvme isn't cheap either. it'd also be janky AF, so I wouldn't do it. 

A eGPU enclosure is only 250$, anyways.

https://www.amazon.com/Sonnet-eGFX-Breakaway-550W-GPU-550W-TB3/dp/B0764J5QVD/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=egpu&qid=1585622052&sr=8-3

TB3 to NVMe enclosures are already 100$, a decent psu is like 60$. other stuff would probably cost more, bringing it close to or over 200$, at which point you might as well get the encolsure.

5 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

you'd need a psu, and thunderbolt to nvme isn't cheap either. it'd also be janky AF, so I wouldn't do it. 

https://www.amazon.com/Sonnet-eGFX-Breakaway-550W-GPU-550W-TB3/dp/B0764J5QVD/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=egpu&qid=1585622052&sr=8-3

TB3 to NVMe enclosures are already 100$, a decent psu is like 60$. other stuff would probably cost more, bringing it close to or over 200$, at which point you might as well get the encolsure.

image.png.3ef54565fa3af804c439df968d7371ba.png

15 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

Excuse my hich-quality graphics editing, and I know that this would be messed up, but I only need a 100W psu-for a 1050-and a cheap nvme adapter. This would probably half the speed of the GPU through connections, but much better than my current intel iris plus 645 or whatever.

Just thought about this abit more, and haven't thought about the obvious yet: would it be possible to use hdmi to tb3 instead as that would be much easier. Do you think this would work?

On 3/31/2020 at 1:55 PM, NomNomNomNom said:

Just thought about this abit more, and haven't thought about the obvious yet: would it be possible to use hdmi to tb3 instead as that would be much easier. Do you think this would work?

no.

On 3/31/2020 at 3:43 AM, NomNomNomNom said:

Excuse my hich-quality graphics editing, and I know that this would be messed up, but I only need a 100W psu-for a 1050-and a cheap nvme adapter. This would probably half the speed of the GPU through connections, but much better than my current intel iris plus 645 or whatever.

its hard to find 100W PSU's, nobody makes them. All not terrible quality PSUs start at 50$ and ~400W

On 3/31/2020 at 3:39 AM, NomNomNomNom said:

image.png.3ef54565fa3af804c439df968d7371ba.png

Also, thats a 20 gigabit/s, which is the bandwidth of appx 2 PCie lanes, so you won't be utilizing the full 40gb/s of a TB3 connection