Tight Budget Gaming PC

Hello there.

Looking for assistance in trying to find the best parts to build a new gaming PC for my little brother. His old PC has essentially kicked the can and he’s in desperate need of a replacement. We’re able to scrap together a budget between $300-$400 CDN. My brother is one of those typical young teens kids who likes to play a lot of lower powered games like Minecraft, ROBLOX, Terraria, and some Fortnite.

His old computer has an old 250GB boot SSD from Kingston I put in a year or two ago so I’m able to salvage that for the new PC. However if someone could find a set up where you could fit in a 1TB hard drive for extra storage that’d be great. I’m mostly looking for parts from reliable stores like Amazon and NewEgg (ones that don’t cost much for shipping).

The closer to $300 the better without sacrificing too much performance. 

Thanks.

Gaming Desktop Specs:

Corsair 275R Airflow Case
ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming Motherboard
Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (2x8GB 3200MHz)
MSI Lightning Z 1080ti 
AMD Wraith Prism RGB CPU Cooler

NZXT HALE 82 850W Semi-Mod PSU
Crucial P1 M.2 2280 500GB [Boot]

Seagate Barracude Compute 2TB [HDD]

WD MyPassport 1TB [EHD]

Desk Items and Peripherals:
Corsair HS50 Pro Headset
Corsair MM300 Extended
Corsair M65 Pro RGB
Corsair Strafe Mk 2 Keyboard
Acer VG240Y V 165hz 1080p Gaming Monitor
Acer EB210HQ Monitor

ASUS ROG STRIX GL703VM Gaming Laptop (on the move gaming)

What can I say? I'm a Corsair fanboy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

$300 canadian is ... ouch

can't salvage ram, PSU, case, anything else? wasn't a house fire, was it?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

what are you current specs?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Just now, Fasauceome said:

$300 canadian is ... ouch

can't salvage ram, PSU, case, anything else? wasn't a house fire, was it?

Well uh, let’s just say the SSD is the only good part about his old desktop. It’s a desktop that was mine before I got my gaming laptop. It’s a bit out of its time..

Gaming Desktop Specs:

Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
MSI Lightning Z 1080ti 

WD MyPassport 1TB [EHD]

Corsair HS50 Pro Headset
Corsair MM300 Extended
Corsair M65 Pro RGB
Acer EB210HQ Monitor

3 minutes ago, AtlanticCanuck said:

Well uh, let’s just say the SSD is the only good part about his old desktop. It’s a desktop that was mine before I got my gaming laptop. It’s a bit out of its time..

This is pretty much the best you'd get if you hug that $300 price point without sacrificing part quality. The motherboard at least has a VRM heat sink, and the PSU is decent. Used market will be quite useful here, often you can find a 2200G for the price of this 3000G on eBay. Cheap B450 motherboards and updated B350 motherboards can also be found, but make sure they have both the backplate and I/O shield.

Perhaps a good opportunity to learn some metalworking tools, if you can shear off parts of the old case to make it more like an open air test bench, you could really have something on your hands there (it's certainly what I'd do). 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

This is pretty much the best you'd get if I hug that $300 price point without sacrificing part quality. The motherboard at least has a VRM heat sink, and the PSU is decent. Used market will be quite useful here, often you can find a 2200G for the price of a 3000G on eBay. Cheap B450 motherboards and updated B350 motherboards can also be found, but make sure they have both the backplate and I/O shield.

Perhaps a good opportunity to learn some metalworking tools, if you can shear off parts of the old case to make it more like an open air test bench, you could really have something on your hands there (it's certainly what I'd do). 

My budget is able to reach up to $400, if it gives more comfort to allow for more stuff to pack in there let me hear it.

Gaming Desktop Specs:

Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
MSI Lightning Z 1080ti 

WD MyPassport 1TB [EHD]

Corsair HS50 Pro Headset
Corsair MM300 Extended
Corsair M65 Pro RGB
Acer EB210HQ Monitor

Just now, AtlanticCanuck said:

My budget is able to reach up to $400, if it gives more comfort to allow for more stuff to pack in there let me hear it.

A used RX 570/470/GTX 1060 3GB from eBay would sit nicely in that budget, if you find a nice deal.

Primary PC:

Just now, Fasauceome said:

A used RX 570/470/GTX 1060 3GB from eBay would sit nicely in that budget, if you find a nice deal.

Alright thanks, if you find anything better or anyone else has anything better let me know.

Gaming Desktop Specs:

Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
MSI Lightning Z 1080ti 

WD MyPassport 1TB [EHD]

Corsair HS50 Pro Headset
Corsair MM300 Extended
Corsair M65 Pro RGB
Acer EB210HQ Monitor