Issues with DisplayPort - not detecting?

DarkNoctus

Hello everyone, just built my new rig, here's the spec:

1 x Gigabyte Radeon R9 290X OC WindForce 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (GV-R929XOC-4GD) @ 439.99GBP
1 x Intel Core i7-4770K 3.50GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150 Processor - Retail @ 227.99GBP
1 x Corsair Hydro H100i Watercooling Performance Closed-Loop CPU Cooler @ 99.95GBP
1 x Asus Z87 MAXIMUS VI FORMULA Intel Z87 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard @ 217.25GBP
1 x Corsair Vengeance Pro Gold 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Kit (CMY16GX3M2A1600C9A) @ 149.99GBP
1 x 250GB Samsung 840 EVO Series 2.5" SATA 6GB/s (SATA-III) Solid State Drive SSD @ 125.99GBP
1 x 760W Corsair AX Series 80PLUS Platinum Modular Power Supply @ 127.96GBP
1 x Corsair Obsidian 750D Large Tower Case Black @ 131.70GBP
1 x Logitech G710+ Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (920-005701) - Brown Switch @ 105.98GBP
1 x Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit Operating System DVD English International @ 100.99GBP
1 x Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus Solo 7.1 PCI-E Soundcard @ 95.70GBP
1 x Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW 24x Retail @ 15.98GBP
2 x 2TB Western Digital Red WD20EFRX 3.5" SATA III Hard Drive - HDD @ 76.38GBP

Dell UltraSharp U2414H 24" Widescreen LED Slim Bezel Monitor - Midnight Grey    2       £383.32
OcUK Value 3m Male - Male Gold Plated v1.4 Oxygen Free HDMI Cable - 3D READY    1       £6.99
OcUK Value 3m Male - Male Display Port Monitor Cable (CDLDP-003)        1       £5.82

Everything is working perfectly aside from one thing - it simply won't detect anything plugged into DisplayPort.

I'm trying to set up a multi-display, the monitors are identical and both work via HDMI but neither on DisplayPort. When I plug it in with the other monitor plugged into HDMI it simply won't detect it.

I've installed the necessary graphics drivers as well as the drivers the monitors came with - not that they did much good. I tried using DisplayPort on one monitor on the very first boot of the system but I didn't get anything, which is why I switched to HDMI on the primary monitor.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have no spare cables I can try out, it's a brand new one.

Also, no, I'm not using an adapter - DisplayPort male to male cable straight from the monitor to the graphics card's DisplayPort. 

Oh and I feel this is worth mentioning to those who want to get the Corsair 750D with the Maximum IV - DON'T. I had to remove the armour on the motherboard so it would fit in the case due to it using motherboard standoffs built into the backplate - not risers.

Sorry to waste everyone's time - fixed the issue. Turns out that on 'Balanced' power it turns off DisplayPort functionality on Windows 8. Changing to High Performance and re-plugging it fixed the problem.

So if you're having this issue, I hope that fixes it. Feel free to lock this!

• 5 months later...

Sorry to waste everyone's time - fixed the issue. Turns out that on 'Balanced' power it turns off DisplayPort functionality on Windows 8. Changing to High Performance and re-plugging it fixed the problem.

So if you're having this issue, I hope that fixes it. Feel free to lock this!

Wait what. I have the same issue in Windows 7 but are you talking about the option in the Nvidia control panel or an option inside WIndows 8. Is the same option in WIndows 7.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Wait what. I have the same issue in Windows 7 but are you talking about the option in the Nvidia control panel or an option inside WIndows 8. Is the same option in WIndows 7.

I believe he is referring to the Power Control options in the Control Panel.

I always have every Windows installation that is on desktop set to High Performance. I have a 7870 and use displayport and I haven't had issues with Windows 7 or 8 AFAIK.

• 3 weeks later...

Did that fix your issue ?
I've just bought 3x of these bastards, and I'm so close returning them. If they won't work stable with HDMI, they will go back.
Display port is out of question - after a certain time, or reboot - I will have to unplug the displays to make them work.
At the same time i recieve alot of crashes/freezing when I'm using displayport
I'm using 660ti SLI

Gaming PC: i7 4770k - 660ti SLI - Asus Z87 Pro - 2x8gb DDR3 Crucual Ballistix Sport 1600 - 840 Evo 120 gb - OCZ agility3 120gb - Check my pc HERE
Streaming PC: Xeon 1230v3 - 2x4gb DDR3 - 120gb SSD - Internet: 50/25 - Microphone: AT2020 + Behringer Xenyx Qx1002USB

Gaming & Streaming PC connected via Elgato Game capture HD - Check out my DayZ content on Youtube

• 6 months later...

The issue came back again with the same monitor. With a bit of fiddling in Display Fusion I managed to get it working. The issue it would seem is that the monitor is recognising the cable as an actual display for some reason and is showing it up blank with no signal. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

• 3 months later...

Hello, have you resolved this?

I just wanted to add something in case anyone is searching for answers to a similar frustrating problem and happens across this thread.

Long story short, I was having the same "No signal detected" problem (and more confusing/annoying because it would intermittently boot and work properly, or work when I connected a second monitor to the DVI output on the video card), with an Asus Strix 970GTX and a new Acer Predator XB270HU monitor connected with DisplayPort.

For me, the solution was not a new cable, but updating my video card's vBIOS. Apparently there is a known issue with some video cards and compatibility with DisplayPort.

Asus has a program called GPU Tweak that is supposed to be able to update the vBIOS of their cards, but when I ran it it said the bios was up to date. I then went to the support/drivers section of their website and downloaded the new vBIOS version from there for my specific card. After updating, it seems to be resolved (knock on wood)

So, if you are having similar DisplayPort issues, try updating the vBIOS for your card and see if that helps. Other steps I took first based on looking around online for a solution were: setting my power settings in control panel to "high performance", updating motherboard BIOS, and updating video card drivers. Good luck!

• 1 year later...

It seems i got the same problem i use an gtx 970 SSC and my screen is only about 2 months old. This happened me for about a month ago too but i fixed it somehow i didn't uppdate anything at the time. Now i got the problem again but i think this time i need to uppdate my drivers. O.o

• 2 months later...

I've had similar issues with MSI GTX 1070/Asus VG248QE. Usually issue has been solved by unplugging the power from monitor for a few minutes. This time thought, that didn't work. Only when I plugged monitor with HDMI, DisplayPort got a signal and actually pc detected DP as secondary monitor. Just wanted to share if someone knows that is there any way to get rid of these issues.

• 2 months later...

Same. ive had the same problem, and before it fixed itself after a few minutes, but now im done, i want to fix it. I can use the DVI-D perfectly but its 120hz and the displayport 144hz. Im using 1070 STRIX and the monitor its an Acer XB240H. ive tryed everyting exept the BIOS solution, i think that will be my last try... idk.

(sorry 4 bad english my native lemguaje is spansh so... that)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/29/2017 at 7:02 PM, agneum said:

The fix to this is usually to unplug the monitor's power cable for around 5 minutes and reconnect again to unload a capacitor or something.

Bro I fucking love you. Display port was driving me crazy and if it wasnt for this comment I would of bought a new one and it wouldnt have fixed the problem

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 6:02 PM, agneum said:

The fix to this is usually to unplug the monitor's power cable for around 5 minutes and reconnect again to unload a capacitor or something.

OMG. I am so thankful I found this post. I was trying all kinds of solutions. I reinstalled my drivers several times. Then I tried this "one simple trick" and it worked!

• 2 months later...
On 11/30/2017 at 2:02 AM, agneum said:

Thank you so so much, you saved my day! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2017 at 7:02 PM, agneum said:

I’m so glad that I found this thread and this answer. This problem was driving me insane. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 30.11.2017 at 1:02 AM, agneum said:

Ill be damned unplugging my screen actually fixed it, left it alone for 10 min plugged it back in now it works like nothing happend :D Thanke you good sir.

Do i have to bother about the pc power meanwhile ? The pc has to be turn on, turned off, unpluged, does it matter? 

I tried to find a solution for 2hrs last night.. i did try to unplug my screen with the pc plugged, unplugged, turned on and turned off .. but only for few seconds. 

Bios updated, drivers too.. kind of hoped for a plug-and-play 144Hz first experience ! ? 

On 2017-11-29 at 7:02 PM, agneum said:

Do i have to bother about the pc power meanwhile ? The pc has to be turn on, turned off, unpluged, does it matter? 

I tried to find a solution for 2hrs last night.. i did try to unplug my screen with the pc plugged, unplugged, turned on and turned off .. but only for few seconds. 

Bios updated, drivers too.. kind of hoped for a plug-and-play 144Hz first experience ! ? 

• 1 year later...

I am experiencing this problem too and unplugging the monitor long enough for power to cycle off (the LEDs will all turn off, should only be 5-10 seconds, not minutes). This is a band aid solution as you will likely have to do this over and over every other time you turn your computer off. Does seem to be a 50-50 shot on either way if my 1070 strix will detect by display-port on my dual monitors both set to 144 and matched in windows/nvidia. sometimes one port detects and one doesn't but it's a toss up which one does or if they both do or don't. A 5 second re-plug has been my solution so far but I'd like a real one. I am now trying to switch into my power settings into "High Performance" to see if it stops disabling the display-port connections. And yes like most people the DP cables are firmly plugged in, clean, functioning cables. I will report in a few days if the problem has gone away or persists.

• 4 months later...

So this is a normal problem with DisplayPort cables? I just upgrade tot GIGABYTE GTX 1060 3GB just because it has DisplayPort output so I can use a better refresh rate in my ASUS PG278QR monitor and it doesn't work. I am using it on HDMI cable and it sucks to be limited to 60hz only. I will try to try the method you guys said above. But is weird honestly :)) Unplug the monitor from power so that DisplayPort works? Doesn't make any sense :))

but hey, is not dumb if it works, right?

I will edit my post if this method works for me or not. (Because HDMI works just fine, but DP not).

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/30/2017 at 2:02 AM, agneum said:

THANKS

• 4 months later...

I found a fix for anyone still using a old Nvidia card like me, I have a GTX 980 and for the longest time my display port would fail to find a signal after a cold boot, the quickest fix is to use HDMI and hope that the display port signal would come back alive after a few boot cycles, I would have my HDMI connected as a fail safe along with my display port cable as well. I knew it was either the monitor, cable or card causing me issues but i couldn't quite figure out which would be the cause, it was not the monitor because the sources still auto switch to display port and HDMI after a boot, so its either the cable or card. I refused to buy a new cable knowing that my cable still managed to detect the display port from time to time. I started doing some research on the different display port cables i didn't give it too much thought or effort because i always managed to get the Display port working again after 10 to 20 min so i would stop assessing the issue once the problem had been temporarily dealt with. Until today, lucky for me I typed GTX 980 VBIOs update and found just what i was looking for, "Nvidia_Displayport_Firmware_Updater_1.0 and whaddyaknow, not to my surprise it needed an update. It didn't work right away, but after installing i shut down the PC, unplugged both my DisplayPort and HDMI cables, rebooted, waited for the PC to fully boot into the login screen, 30 or so seconds, then plugged in my DisplayPort cable and it worked. Fingers crossed i never have to face this issue again. But who knows. 

Give it a try if you have a Nvidia card and are still facing blank screens after booting from time to time in 2020.

I created an account just to post this, if it wasn't for the many forum posts on the internet that i had to read through during my mini quest to find an answer i wouldn't have known what to research. 

NVIDIA_DisplayPort_Firmware_Updater_1.0-x64.exe

• 2 years later...

Unplugging my monitor totally worked. I had swapped my card in to a different computer, and switched out to my old card, reinstalled drivers, contacted three different support groups, and started an RMA for my graphics card. It was unplugging the monitor that fixed it. Thankfully I had not shipped my card for the RMA yet. Going to go cancel that now after I put my newer graphics card back in my rig.