F@H unreasonable wait time

I've discover F@H with the recent video about it.

I've took my old laptop, wich now run on Linux Mint for the sake of it, out of my closet to contribute with his i5-7200u.

I also use my present PC, just not 24/7.

The problem is that it take absolutely forever to get  expecially on my curent PC wich is a lot faster

It's extreme, it take so long to get some folding to do,  it's almost useless. I have to reboot the get a decent wait time again after the first folding is completed if i'm lucky enought to get one.

When does LTT put their server on?

Due to the current massive influx of new folders F@H servers are overwhelmed for WU requests. The average que time is about 30min-12hrs.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I've been folding most of today.

you don't have to do anything so I wouldn't worry about it.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

10 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Due to the current massive influx of new folders F@H servers are overwhelmed for WU requests. The average que time is about 30min-12hrs.

Well I understand, but I think I heard Linus talking about setting a F@H server to fix that issue. I hope it become a reality really soon.

It will be profitable for everybody.

1 hour ago, FuuMasta said:

Well I understand, but I think I heard Linus talking about setting a F@H server to fix that issue. I hope it become a reality really soon.

I wouldn't expect linus server to fix the issue. 20x demand on the F@H network is not something that a single server will fix. It'll help for sure however. From 10k-15k active users "pre-covid-19" to 160k+ active users currently generates a lot of traffic. (think F@H group are about to have 6 to 8 servers coming online soon from various people/orginizations).

We also need F@H group to keep the servers full with WU's to give to us which has been a chore for them. Think i read somewhere on the support forum that they been adding like 90k WU's per hour (or something like that) just have people machines do something (cant find source for it but i'll put it here if i find it again).

This is just that unprecedented of a demand that their system just cant handle it (nor could of been predicted).

Anyways, if you're interested in F@H servers, you can see which servers are running here.
https://apps.foldingathome.org/serverstats

and just seen linus server have CPU (A7 core) WU's on that stat page.

168.245.198.125linus1.foldingathome.orgWS9.6jake10,800.00/hr00YesAssign10,9140GRO_A765.74TiB35 minutes2020-03-29T04:28:55Z

you don't have to restart your PC to restart your wait timer. pause and unpuase folding roughly once an hour when you don't have work units. doing so more frequently will flood the server and increase issues.

Could we all be more useful by creating a server instead?

1 hour ago, FuuMasta said:

Could we all be more useful by creating a server instead?

Sadly, not really.

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=32735#p314395

Re: Do you need help?

Postby Joe_H » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:09 pm

The people in charge are currently in talks with some large providers, the requirements are steep. A Work Server needs to handle high levels of I/O, high network traffic, have about 50-100 TB of fast storage. Those are the requirements I remember.

If there are specific other areas, I can pass that info on.

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=32735&start=45#p316346

Re: Do you need help?

Postby sukritsingh » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:25 pm

Hi all! If you are interested in contributing hardware or server side power to our effort, please reach out to me at sukrit.singh@wustl.edu.
Generally the minimum requirements we have for setting up a work server are:
Debian Linux machines with 8GiB RAM, 100TiB SSD storage, and 1GiB/s network.

If you think you could help out please send me an email! Thanks so much for your support and help!

Basically, you would need a server and internet connection like what Linus has at minimum to handle what F@H needs. Also these servers need to be validated to make sure the science they're sending and receiving is not being messed up by the servers (reason why it took several days for Linus server to start sending work).

This also wouldn't address the other issue F@H been having (although been improving) that i mention earlier about (the number of WU's). If servers dont have WU's for your computer, then no amount of servers will fix that issue and that something only the F@H group can do.

On 3/28/2020 at 8:27 PM, FuuMasta said:

The issue was more about there not having been enough WORK UNITS to put on the servers, till the last couple days, more than a shortage of servers to handle the load.

When the user count multiplied by ballpark 50-100 TIMES over less than a week (number of GPUs didn't climb as much due to the many of us long-timers with multiple machines and multiple GPUs), the available work just poofed in no time flat.

The folks at WU running Folding@Home seem to be getting a handle on that issue, particularly today units have been nearly always available when my machines have asked for them, after almost 2 weeks of shortage.

4 hours ago, QuintLeo said:

The folks at WU running Folding@Home seem to be getting a handle on that issue, particularly today units have been nearly always available when my machines have asked for them, after almost 2 weeks of shortage.

I am still having trouble getting work units. My last work unit was completed about 9 hours ago.

funny enough I am able to get CPU WU's but none for my 2070 super. I wanna fold the dishes darn it