Speakers for my room

joey1236

Hi right now I have some old edifier desktop speakers however I want to upgrade. My budget is around 400€ I’ll be using them mainly for music and maybe some movies and tv shows there for my bedroom. Could someone reccomend me some good high quality speakers 

It would help if you would give us a budget, tell us where you would put the speakers, how much room you have, if they will need to be self amplified or use a separate amp, and if you have room for a sub woofer.

I prefer the JBL 3 MkII series of studio monitors. These are self powered, self amplified speakers. You can use them with or without the 10" subwoofer. If you plan on using a subwoofer, a pair of 5" monitors will be large enough. If you don't want to spend money for the sub (or you just don't have room for it; it is huge), then you may prefer the 8" monitors. I have a a pair of 5" monitors that I wall mounted and the 10" sub setting on the floor at the left end of my desk. This is an excellent midpriced 2.1 setup for music and occasional movie watching in a small room.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

9 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

It would help if you would give us a budget, tell us where you would put the speakers, how much room you have, if they will need to be self amplified or use a separate amp, and if you have room for a sub woofer.

I prefer the JBL 3 MkII series of studio monitors. These are self powered, self amplified speakers. You can use them with or without the 10" subwoofer. If you plan on using a subwoofer, a pair of 5" monitors will be large enough. If you don't want to spend money for the sub (or you just don't have room for it; it is huge), then you may prefer the 8" monitors. I have a a pair of 5" monitors that I wall mounted and the 10" sub setting on the floor at the left end of my desk. This is an excellent midpriced 2.1 setup for music and occasional movie watching in a small room.

My budget is 400 - 500 and I think I have enough space for them speakers

That’s my setup, I could put them to the left and right of my PC. Or would that sound weird since there away from the monitors. If not I could put one to the top left of my left monitor and mount another one to the right of my right monitor

2 minutes ago, joey1236 said:

My budget is 400 - 500 and I think I have enough space for them speakers

Keep in mind you will also need some decent cables to go between your source (I'm assuming a computer) and the speakers if using just the satellites and no sub. I suggest Monoprice XLR (at the speaker end) to RCA (at the computer end) cables and use a dual RCA to 3.5mm adapter to connect the speakers to the computer. I saw a few reviews complaining about a high pitched squeal when using unshielded, unbalanced cables but that using balanced cables for most of the run would fix that, hence my use of the XLRs (which worked quite well for me).

Edit: You posted your picture while I was typing this. Keep in mind these speakers are large. The 5" are 11.75" x 7.3" x 9.9" and will not fit on that desk very well; you would need to wall mount them. For the best sound, they should be mounted both sides of where you will be listening to them the most. Anywhere else will sound less than ideal. You may find your available space to be too crowded for these speakers. I used some scrap foam insulation I had knocking about (cardboard would also work) to make mock ups of the 5" and 8" speakers to determine what size I had room for and where to put them. Whilke I was happy with the 5" that I would up getting, the bottom end was a bit weak so I wound up adding the sub later on.

I have my two satellite speakers wall mounted with the bottoms of the speakers about 63" above the floor on either side of my desk. These speakers are fairly directional so I have them aimed with the sweet spot being where my head is when I'm in bed where I do most of my movie watching and serious music listening (my music and movies come from my computer). When I'm sitting at my desk, I hear mostly the left speaker since the desk is a bit left of the center between the speakers but the bed, where the speakers are aimed, is a bit to the right of center between the speakers.

If you will be listening from two radically different spots, you may want to consider switching between the spoeakers and headphones or just using headphones only.

Also, the sound coming from a computer's sound card or chip is usually less than ideal so, in the future, you may consider getting a DAC. I'm using a Dragonfly Red USB DAC to feed my speakers. It's small, takes up almost no room, is plug and play, and makes a huge difference in the sound. If you go with headphones, you may want to get an amplfied DAC instead.

Dragonfly had only two USB DACs at the time I bought mine: Red and Black. The RED was well worth the higher cost over the Black for me. AudioQuest, who makes the Dragonflys, now has a new USB DAC, the Cobalt, that's supposed to sound even better and has nough power to drive mosr headphones. I'm not planning on upgrading anytime soon, if ever, since I'm happy with my Red and I do not use headphones. 

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

I have the JBL LSR305 studio monitors and love them.  I have dual monitors mounted on a dual montiror arms and then mounted each studio monitor on a monitor arm. 

41 minutes ago, harls said:

I have the JBL LSR305 studio monitors and love them.  I have dual monitors mounted on a dual montiror arms and then mounted each studio monitor on a monitor arm. 

That's clever! I drastically modified a pair of speaker wall mount brackets for myLSR305 speakers.

Jeannie

1 minute ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

That's clever! I drastically modified a pair of speaker wall mount brackets for myLSR305 speakers.

It worked really well.  I turned the plate vesa plate so it is straight up to make a platform.  Screwed a piece of wood to the vesa mount to make a shelf and then used Velcro to keep them on the shelf.  I have cats and a child and was worried they would knock them off. 

1 minute ago, harls said:

It worked really well.  I turned the plate vesa plate so it is straight up to make a platform.  Screwed a piece of wood to the vesa mount to make a shelf and then used Velcro to keep them on the shelf.  I have cats and a child and was worried they would knock them off. 

I made an aluminum plate to expand the platform on each speaker mount I had (using screws to secure the speaker voids the warranty), added a piece of aluminum angle to the front of the plate so the speaker couldn't slide forward (it tilts down a bit), then also used Velcro to secure the speaker (as suggested by JBL).

Jeannie

1 minute ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

I made an aluminum plate to expand the platform on each speaker mount I had (using screws to secure the speaker voids the warranty), added a piece of aluminum angle to the front of the plate so the speaker couldn't slide forward (it tilts down a bit), then also used Velcro to secure the speaker (as suggested by JBL).

Sounds like it worked well.  I couldn't imagine going back to regular computer speakers after having these. 

1 hour ago, harls said:

Sounds like it worked well.  I couldn't imagine going back to regular computer speakers after having these. 

You and me three. Wait until you try them with the sub.

Jeannie

Joey the JBL's they recommend are considered to be incredibly good value. However there a ton of great value Edifier speakers too. Consider going up in the Edifier range really cant go wrong.