Tips for RGB beginner

rgjertsen

I am planning to upgrade my PC with almost everything! This time I'm thinking about some RGB and was wondering if anyone had any tips.

Some info for starters:
- I got an Asus Prime X470-Pro Gaming mobo
- I was thinking of going with the Phanteks P400A Black case
- Upgrading to CPU cooler CM ML360R RGB
- Getting Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200 16GB memory
- Case fans I thought about CM SF120R

I have chosen these products since they all support Asus Aura Sync. Could anyone give me any tips for maybe a controller I can use, splitters I need etc?
I have little experience with fan/RGB hubs or controllers.

I live in Norway so I can't get all brands out there, but if anyone recommend any products I can see if I can get them.

Thanks.

The Asus Aura Sync is a bit clunky. I would recommend the NZXT HUE or EK waterblocks controller for your RGB need, both companies got good software for your RGB fine tuning and you can set fan speed profiles and more.

I've been using the CAM software for about ~3years I think and it's great no major issues at all. The EK software haven't tried it yet since it's new. You can find NZXT hue controller on Komplett, Inet. EK I don't know if you can buy it from these retailers yet.

What would I recommend?

NZXT ecosystem is great if all you want is fast and easy experience. The issue is when you want to mix RGB strips with RGB fans and their water cooler you will run out of options fast, since the HUE controller only got two outputs that supports 5 RGB products each.

The EK Controller is more universal so you can plug in any standard RGB item.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-loop-connect

In the end it's your money, I won't say buy this over that or something like that. Remember that it's you that gonna spend most of time looking at the RGB goodness.

Intel Core i7-9800X-3.8GHz  | 2x EK-CoolStream Classic SE 360| Royal RGB 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz  |  ASUSTeK Prime X299-A  | EKWB - MSI GeForce RTX 2080 8GB GAMING X TRIO | Lian Li PC-011 white | Samsung 860 QVO 2TB, 2x 240GB Kingston SSD (RAID 0) & 240GB Kingston NVME Drive | Acer 34" ED347CKR VA Curved 100 Hz | NZXT E- Series 850

26 minutes ago, DrHeadbump said:

The Asus Aura Sync is a bit clunky. I would recommend the NZXT HUE or EK waterblocks controller for your RGB need, both companies got good software for your RGB fine tuning and you can set fan speed profiles and more.

I've been using the CAM software for about ~3years I think and it's great no major issues at all. The EK software haven't tried it yet since it's new. You can find NZXT hue controller on Komplett, Inet. EK I don't know if you can buy it from these retailers yet.

What would I recommend?

NZXT ecosystem is great if all you want is fast and easy experience. The issue is when you want to mix RGB strips with RGB fans and their water cooler you will run out of options fast, since the HUE controller only got two outputs that supports 5 RGB products each.

The EK Controller is more universal so you can plug in any standard RGB item.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-loop-connect

In the end it's your money, I won't say buy this over that or something like that. Remember that it's you that gonna spend most of time looking at the RGB goodness.

Ok, thanks for great ideas! I will check this out. Do you know if NZXT and EK support the same products as Aura?

I was thinking something like this.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yfDLf9

Not sure about the exact GPU yet, but 2070 Super in general.

10 minutes ago, rgjertsen said:

Ok, thanks for great ideas! I will check this out. Do you know if NZXT and EK support the same products as Aura?

I was thinking something like this.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yfDLf9

Not sure about the exact GPU yet, but 2070 Super in general.

I'm not sure about EK but I believe it's more universal then NZXT hue. I believe that the NZXT one only supports their own products, but I'm not sure.

Found a FAQ from NZXT:

https://blog.nzxt.com/answers-to-common-questions-about-nzxt-rgb-products/

Intel Core i7-9800X-3.8GHz  | 2x EK-CoolStream Classic SE 360| Royal RGB 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz  |  ASUSTeK Prime X299-A  | EKWB - MSI GeForce RTX 2080 8GB GAMING X TRIO | Lian Li PC-011 white | Samsung 860 QVO 2TB, 2x 240GB Kingston SSD (RAID 0) & 240GB Kingston NVME Drive | Acer 34" ED347CKR VA Curved 100 Hz | NZXT E- Series 850

9 minutes ago, DrHeadbump said:

I'm not sure about EK but I believe it's more universal then NZXT hue. I believe that the NZXT one only supports their own products, but I'm not sure.

Found a FAQ from NZXT:

https://blog.nzxt.com/answers-to-common-questions-about-nzxt-rgb-products/

I will absolutely check this out if they support the products I want.

But you mean that the Aura software is bad? Could you specify this a bit?

1 minute ago, rgjertsen said:

I will absolutely check this out if they support the products I want.

But you mean that the Aura software is bad? Could you specify this a bit?

With Asus Aura is bad I mean I haven't been able to only select one device in this case my RAM and give it a different effect then motherboard. And some times the effects might freeze if you deselect sync between the Motherboard and RAM. And if you want to assign each LED you need to click the drop down menu each time.

Maybe I'm just stupid 😃.

If you look at the NZXT CAM software you can customize each LED separate from each other quick and easy. Corsair got a similar system as NZXT.

Skärmklipp.PNG

CAM.PNG

29 minutes ago, DrHeadbump said:

With Asus Aura is bad I mean I haven't been able to only select one device in this case my RAM and give it a different effect then motherboard. And some times the effects might freeze if you deselect sync between the Motherboard and RAM. And if you want to assign each LED you need to click the drop down menu each time.

Maybe I'm just stupid 😃.

If you look at the NZXT CAM software you can customize each LED separate from each other quick and easy. Corsair got a similar system as NZXT.

Skärmklipp.PNG

CAM.PNG

I see! I haven't even thought about customizing each LED individualy.. maybe I should try to find products that are supported by Corsairs software?

I wanted their case fans, but Aura didn't support them.

I see the AIO cooler from Cooler Master supports Aura, ASRock, Gigabyte and MSI RGB software.

any recommendations here?

On 3/28/2020 at 10:14 AM, rgjertsen said:

I see! I haven't even thought about customizing each LED individually.. maybe I should try to find products that are supported by Corsairs software?

I wanted their case fans, but Aura didn't support them.

I would highly recommend that you look in to either NZXT,Corsiar or EKWB. Seems like they at least take their software serious enough.

Corsair iCUE setup video:

NZXT RGB & Fan Controller Walkthrough

EK-Loop Connect

Edited by DrHeadbump

8 minutes ago, DrHeadbump said:

I would highly recommend that you look in to either NZXT,Corsiar or EKWB. Seems like they at least take their software serious enough.

Corsair iCUE setup video:

NZXT RGB & Fan Controller Walkthrough

EK-Loop Connect

Thanks, man! I will check these out!