Issues with rear 3.5 jack on Asus Crosshair VIII Hero WIFI not working

Okay so this is going to sound weird but after plugging and unplugging headphones in the front jack of my computer the rear 3.5 jack isn't working at all. I've tried reinstalling the driver, checking updates, updating the bios, etc. Nothing is working.

Here is the system we're looking at

Ryzen 9 3900x

Asus Crosshair VIII Hero WIFI

Asus RTX 2080 Strix

DDR4 2x16gb @ 3200

Thanks everyone!

• 2 months later...
On 3/27/2020 at 7:19 PM, hyper_fish said:

Okay so this is going to sound weird but after plugging and unplugging headphones in the front jack of my computer the rear 3.5 jack isn't working at all. I've tried reinstalling the driver, checking updates, updating the bios, etc. Nothing is working.

Here is the system we're looking at

Ryzen 9 3900x

Asus Crosshair VIII Hero WIFI

Asus RTX 2080 Strix

DDR4 2x16gb @ 3200

Thanks everyone!

Did you figure out or resolve your problem? I have a new build with the same issue. I cannot figure it out. Same motherboard.

1 hour ago, clookie said:

Did you figure out or resolve your problem? I have a new build with the same issue. I cannot figure it out. Same motherboard.

I've narrowed the issue down and it's not the motherboard. When the case front I/O is plugged into the motherboard it doesn't work but when it's unplugged the rear audio I/O works. 

I'm guessing it's a case issue at this point. 

On 6/24/2020 at 6:04 AM, hyper_fish said:

I've narrowed the issue down and it's not the motherboard. When the case front I/O is plugged into the motherboard it doesn't work but when it's unplugged the rear audio I/O works. 

I'm guessing it's a case issue at this point. 

Sounds like a mobo issue if 2 people with presumably different cases are having this same issue.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

• 1 month later...
Hello I have the same problem have you found a solution?

Hello I have the same problem have you found a solution?

I've got the same/similar problem. I had to plug and replug the headphones many times before Windows finally recognize the jack is plugged.

This was less of an issue with the old 1201 bios, but after updating to the 2103 bios, it became much much harder - very noticeably harder.

Didn't bother downgrading to the 1201 bios to try, because it had other problems (notably having the RGBs always on and that I sleep next to my tower).

Last night, it outright refused to detect the headphones even after 30ish plug and replugs.

Even the front panel connection didn't work.

• 5 months later...

I found this thread through a Google search because I was having the same issue.. I got a set of rear speakers for my computer (Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi), and when I plugged them in Windows 10 wouldn't recognize the jack as active.

I ended up uninstalling the Realtek drivers that came with the motherboard (Virtual Studio, etc) and installing the generic Realtek HD Audio drivers Realtek's site:

0009-64bit_Win7_Win8_Win81_Win10_R282.exe

Version R2.82

Dated 2017/07/26

https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/pc-audio-codecs-high-definition-audio-codecs-software

I'm happy to say that fixed my issue. Hopefully this helps someone else!

• 3 months later...
On 1/14/2021 at 8:40 AM, CrossHairVIIIOwner said:

I found this thread through a Google search because I was having the same issue.. I got a set of rear speakers for my computer (Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi), and when I plugged them in Windows 10 wouldn't recognize the jack as active.

I ended up uninstalling the Realtek drivers that came with the motherboard (Virtual Studio, etc) and installing the generic Realtek HD Audio drivers Realtek's site:

0009-64bit_Win7_Win8_Win81_Win10_R282.exe

Version R2.82

Dated 2017/07/26

https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/pc-audio-codecs-high-definition-audio-codecs-software

I'm happy to say that fixed my issue. Hopefully this helps someone else!

Thank you very much for posting this. I've been struggling for hours, trying to get any audio output from this board with zero success until I came across and followed your directions.