Help with USB Disconnecting and Reconnecting Constantly

Sin Stalker

I have a USB device that is disconnecting every few seconds to few minutes and then reconnecting one or two seconds. I have attempted to go through all my usb's, disconnecting one at a time but that method hasn't worked. Something always is connecting/disconnecting. I apparently can not determine the device.

I have also tried watching what USB device disappears in device manager but there are so many and it remains disconnected so quickly. Plus the entire thing reloads when it connects/disconnects.

Also, sometimes I'll go weeks without something disconnecting and reconnecting. So I keep thinking I've solved the issue unknowingly.

I've been dealing with this since I built my system.

I have also already gone through all USB devices and made sure none are going to sleep and are always providing power.

I have a lot of USB devices attached, too. I will list my comp specs and the devices...

specs:

CPU: Ryzen 2700x

MOBO: ASUS x370 crosshair VI hero (wifi ac)  (I purposely got this board because it has a lot of USB ports)

GPU: asus GTX 1070

mem: 3200mhz 16gb corsair vengeance prro

Devices:

Keyboard: Corsair K95

mouse 1: Corsair scimitar

mouse 2: Corsair ironclaw wireless

LED: I have an LED light stripe connected to a usb hub behind my monitors. The hub is connected to my computer just for power.

Mic: blue snowball

cam: logitech usb camera. 

Oculus sensors: I have 3 oculus sensors connected. Two use usb extension cables. Extensions are high quality. Two of them are short and the third is very long but also has supplemental power from the wall.

Rift headset: This also has one very short extension cable, high quality. 

I have tried unplugging the sensors and headset yet this continues. 

What I was considering trying next: I chose this mobo because it had enough USB ports to not require any hubs or ad in cards. I have tried putting an add-in pcie card but that has not helped. So I was thinking of buying a hub or two and connecting non-keyboard/mouse devices through that. My thought is to limit the amount of USB ports being used. Is this a dead end option?

Also, is there a program out there that will list all connected USB devices with specific names that can help me determine either which device is disconnecting or which USB port may be defective? Or if there is a grouping of USB ports that have limited bandwidth and require me to get a pcie expansion slot for a specified amount?

@Sin Stalker if you are using all usb 3 ports, or using usb 2 for the leds and other less important devices, the bandwidth shouldnt affect anything. if you have some time and patience you could have one device plugged in at a time, seeing what device could be causing problems. if everything works on its on, then you could be running into a usb problem with the chipset. in that case a pcie add in card could help

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

11 hours ago, piratemonkey said:

@Sin Stalker if you are using all usb 3 ports, or using usb 2 for the leds and other less important devices, the bandwidth shouldnt affect anything. if you have some time and patience you could have one device plugged in at a time, seeing what device could be causing problems. if everything works on its on, then you could be running into a usb problem with the chipset. in that case a pcie add in card could help

I have tried this as well. When I do this, none of the devices act up when I do them one at a time, (exluding the keyboard and mouse).

I have most data based in usb 3 and power based on with usb 2, including the required usb 2 port of oculus sensor or mic.

Sorry for late reply, my internet had gone out.

10 hours ago, Sin Stalker said:

I have tried this as well. When I do this, none of the devices act up when I do them one at a time, (exluding the keyboard and mouse).

I have most data based in usb 3 and power based on with usb 2, including the required usb 2 port of oculus sensor or mic.

Sorry for late reply, my internet had gone out.

then youd be running into a bottleneck for usb. a pcie add in should fix it

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct