Gaming Budget Server Challenge.

Hello. I am a private gamer who happens to of come into the grasp of some nice gaming gear lately, I.E I have vr head sets a top ranking home built pc ect through the help of some friends. Anywhom my main problem where I live is that my wi-fi sucks and I don't have the capabillity to get it fixed because I don't own said place of residence or service. So I thought about developing a home gaming server and my claimed budget I am putting on this is $500. Can it be done? I wanna make a way to make a digial archive of a multitude of games at my fingertips. Save things like Wow and Runescape for private useage. Heck knows I have paid out the rear for them. Anywhom If Linus is still doing Vids I'd be more then willing to learn how to make myown home brew gaming servers. (Proof of home battle station below.)

15852686436704605647598764375034.jpg

so what do you wnt to run on this server?

You find guides to setup game servers for supported games online, but it won't make multiplyer any better unless your friends are on yourlan

A server won't fix bad internet, try to look into other internet options to improve that.

I know it wouldn't fix the internet *I do not own the service its a hotel service* I want to try alterntives. A few examples of games I want to play offline that normaly require internet to play despite download files installed or not

/

V

World of Warcraft

Runescape and Old School Runescape.

War Thunder

Borderlands 3 (latest forces you to connect to their client or the game crashes)

Anywhom I wanna backup these for private only useage. While I do understand that doing so would leave certain things unplayable for me I feel like in the long term having that data backed privately would be pretty memorable to have another 10-20 years down the line. Who knows if the games I wanna save will still even be around in that time I still wanna enjoy them now and own a digital home libary of all the best stuff out there. #SelfGoals

1 minute ago, AnonFox said:

I know it wouldn't fix the internet *I do not own the service its a hotel service* I want to try alterntives. A few examples of games I want to play offline that normaly require internet to play despite download files installed or not

/

V

World of Warcraft

War Thunder

Borderlands 3 (latest forces you to connect to their client or the game crashes)

Anywhom I wanna backup these for private only useage. While I do understand that doing so would leave certain things unplayable for me I feel like in the long term having that data backed privately would be pretty memorable to have another 10-20 years down the line. Who knows if the games I wanna save will still even be around in that time I still wanna enjoy them now and own a digital home libary of all the best stuff out there. #SelfGoals

If the game doesn't have. offline mode, its not prcticl to make it work offline. You would probbly need to reverse engineer their server, and  potientlly breka encryption.

Your best option is probbly getting. cellulr internet connection or a wisp 

I tried the Cellular connection option, it turned out phone companies where I am are scammers. They lied about offering me consistant high speed data and placed a bottleneck on their services which in turn cut myself off from gaming. I also tried using the phone I own as a back door, wasn't effective enough sadly. Anywhom My orgional question hasn't been awnsered. Can I build myself a home use server for around $500? If so How do I go about it?

3 minutes ago, AnonFox said:

I tried the Cellular connection option, it turned out phone companies where I am are scammers. They lied about offering me consistant high speed data and placed a bottleneck on their services which in turn cut myself off from gaming. I also tried using the phone I own as a back door, wasn't effective enough sadly. Anywhom My orgional question hasn't been awnsered. Can I build myself a home use server for around $500? If so How do I go about it?

You can build a home server for 500, but without requirements of what you need to be done, its hard to make a spec list.

The server won't solve those problems your having, so it seems to be a waste of money here. 

4 hours ago, AnonFox said:

/

V

World of Warcraft

War Thunder

You're getting into murky legal waters here, there are however several fun games that allow you to run servers locally Ark and Conan being some that I've messed with. If you can settle on some of the legal options, it's not too hard to set it up to allow your buddies to connect to you. 

3 hours ago, AnonFox said:

500$ is enough to set up a home server, but verify your use case first. If your connection is that poor, who will be connecting to your server? If it's just you... run it on your box. If it's going to be a few folks in a LAN maybe you have a use case for running one. Unraid makes it simple to setup several game server dockers via their Community plugin. Likewise you can run docker on your Windows box and install the dockers to give it a shot before spending the money.