Cpu slows down

Go to solution Solved by unclewebb,

@M4C1XCan you post some screenshots that show how you have ThrottleStop setup?  

Your log file shows that when your CPU is throttling, it is because the short term turbo power limit (PL2) is being reduced to 10 Watts which is far below where it should be.  Check to see if you have this installed,

Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Driver

That driver can cause this problem.  Search Google for how to get rid of it.

Try enabling the ThrottleStop FIVR Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits feature.  This can help with this problem without having to disable and delete the Intel driver.  You will need to first install the RwDrv.sys file into your ThrottleStop folder before checking this option.

https://mega.nz/#!CNNA0SoC!Z2Xi2icwX4d4jzW016dKnKGhVglWmSSPpgiRU7VCG6g

I have a laptop with an i7-7700HQ processor, I have speedstep and turbo boost enabled. Cpu is undervolted but it's not that fault because without udervolted it still slows. it is not the fault of the temperatures either.

What laptop model do you have?  Is it a Dell?  Have you tried using ThrottleStop?  Make sure the BD PROCHOT box on the main screen is clear.  Many laptops have throttling problems.  ThrottleStop is good at detecting what the problem is and provides solutions for many of the most common problems.  Post some pics if you are using ThrottleStop and I will be able to tell you how to set the program up.  Also run a log file while gaming so I can see a thorough record of your problem.  In the Options window, turn on Add Limit Reasons to Log File.  That can help show what the problem is.

Intel XTU lacks some important features to deal with these kind of throttling problems so best to uninstall it.

20 hours ago, unclewebb said:

What laptop model do you have?  Is it a Dell?  Have you tried using ThrottleStop?  Make sure the BD PROCHOT box on the main screen is clear.  Many laptops have throttling problems.  ThrottleStop is good at detecting what the problem is and provides solutions for many of the most common problems.  Post some pics if you are using ThrottleStop and I will be able to tell you how to set the program up.  Also run a log file while gaming so I can see a thorough record of your problem.  In the Options window, turn on Add Limit Reasons to Log File.  That can help show what the problem is.

Intel XTU lacks some important features to deal with these kind of throttling problems so best to uninstall it.

Where is button to start running a log?

I already found!

20 hours ago, unclewebb said:

I have a Dell inspiron 7577

fTsCmRp.png

The log file will be saved to the ThrottleStop / Logs directory and it will have today's date on it.

1 hour ago, unclewebb said:

fTsCmRp.png

The log file will be saved to the ThrottleStop / Logs directory and it will have today's date on it.

2020-03-21.txt When the processor's speed drops, its use also decreases, as do all components

Your log file shows that when your CPU is throttling, it is because the short term turbo power limit (PL2) is being reduced to 10 Watts which is far below where it should be.  Check to see if you have this installed,

Try enabling the ThrottleStop FIVR Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits feature.  This can help with this problem without having to disable and delete the Intel driver.  You will need to first install the RwDrv.sys file into your ThrottleStop folder before checking this option.

14 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

That driver can cause this problem.  Search Google for how to get rid of it.

I have uninstalled this driver and enabled disable and lock turbo power limits feature

Cpu.png

Delete your old log file and run a new one.  The Options window is not that important.  Need to see screenshots of the FIVR and TPL windows.

Did you disable the C states in the BIOS?  Your CPU is running hot when lightly loaded.  The C states are also necessary so your CPU can use the highest multipliers when lightly loaded.  When you are running a 1 Thread TS Bench test, you should be seeing more than the 34 multiplier.  Your CPU supports both the 36 and 38 multipliers.

Turn on Nvidia GPU monitoring in the Options window if you have one of those GPUs.

16 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

Delete your old log file and run a new one.  The Options window is not that important.  Need to see screenshots of the FIVR and TPL windows.

Did you disable the C states in the BIOS?  Your CPU is running hot when lightly loaded.  The C states are also necessary so your CPU can use the highest multipliers when lightly loaded.  When you are running a 1 Thread TS Bench test, you should be seeing more than the 34 multiplier.  Your CPU supports both the 36 and 38 multipliers.

Turn on Nvidia GPU monitoring in the Options window if you have one of those GPUs.

I have c states disabled should i enable is? My cpu is undervolted so I can t uninstall intel xtu

hytrjh.png

gretgeg.png

22 minutes ago, M4C1X said:

My cpu is undervolted so I can t uninstall intel xtu

You could use ThrottleStop to under volt your CPU.  It takes up far less resources compared to Intel XTU and ThrottleStop is a lot more reliable when you resume from sleep or hibernate mode.  If you would like to change software, in the FIVR window check the Unlock Adjustable Voltage option.  You will then need to adjust both your CPU core and CPU cache offset voltages to the same values that you have set in XTU.  Intel XTU adjusts both of these voltages at the same time.  ThrottleStop makes you adjust them individually. 

If you have done lots of testing and your undervolt is 100% stable, check the box at the lower right of the FIVR window, OK - Save voltages immediately.  Now you are good to go.  If you want ThrottleStop to start up with Windows, use the Task Scheduler and follow this guide.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/#post-6865107

22 minutes ago, M4C1X said:

I have c states disabled

Why?  On a laptop, enabling the C states in the BIOS will allow your CPU to run cooler when it is idle or lightly loaded.  Enabling the C states also allows your CPU to run faster when lightly loaded.  Better performance and less heat seems like a win, win situation.  Watch the CPU multiplier displayed by ThrottleStop during a 1 Thread TS Bench test.  Do this first with C states disabled in the BIOS and then do the exact same test with C states enabled.  You should see much better performance when they are enabled.

Is your throttling problem fixed yet?

14 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

You could use ThrottleStop to under volt your CPU.  It takes up far less resources compared to Intel XTU and ThrottleStop is a lot more reliable when you resume from sleep or hibernate mode.  If you would like to change software, in the FIVR window check the Unlock Adjustable Voltage option.  You will then need to adjust both your CPU core and CPU cache offset voltages to the same values that you have set in XTU.  Intel XTU adjusts both of these voltages at the same time.  ThrottleStop makes you adjust them individually. 

If you have done lots of testing and your undervolt is 100% stable, check the box at the lower right of the FIVR window, OK - Save voltages immediately.  Now you are good to go.  If you want ThrottleStop to start up with Windows, use the Task Scheduler and follow this guide.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/#post-6865107

Why?  On a laptop, enabling the C states in the BIOS will allow your CPU to run cooler when it is idle or lightly loaded.  Enabling the C states also allows your CPU to run faster when lightly loaded.  Better performance and less heat seems like a win, win situation.  Watch the CPU multiplier displayed by ThrottleStop during a 1 Thread TS Bench test.  Do this first with C states disabled in the BIOS and then do the exact same test with C states enabled.  You should see much better performance when they are enabled.

Is your throttling problem fixed yet?

What with this?

hytrjh.png

7 minutes ago, M4C1X said:

What with this?

The under volt settings in ThrottleStop are in the next column to the right.  Look for where it says Unlock Adjustable Voltage.  You need to check that box so you can set your offset voltages.  Below that box it shows Offset Voltage.  Set the Range to 250 mV and then adjust your offset voltage for CPU core and CPU cache both to -135 mV or whatever is stable.

The Turbo Ratio Limits that you circled can be used to control your maximum CPU speed.  You need to enable the C states in your BIOS so your CPU can use the 38 multiplier when 1 core is active.  That is what your CPU is capable of.  With C states disabled in the BIOS, you are being limited to the 34 multiplier.  

3 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

The under volt settings in ThrottleStop are in the next column to the right.  Look for where it says Unlock Adjustable Voltage.  You need to check that box so you can set your offset voltages.  Below that box it shows Offset Voltage.  Set the Range to 250 mV and then adjust your offset voltage for CPU core and CPU cache both to -135 mV or whatever is stable.

The Turbo Ratio Limits that you circled can be used to control your maximum CPU speed.  You need to enable the C states in your BIOS so your CPU can use the 38 multiplier when 1 core is active.  That is what your CPU is capable of.  With C states disabled in the BIOS, you are being limited to the 34 multiplier.  

that is, if I unlocked c states I should set it as much as possible

@M4C1XLeave the turbo multipliers at their default settings that are shown in your screenshot.  Your CPU is not an unlocked CPU.  You cannot overclock it. 

If you enable the C states, your CPU will be allowed to use the turbo multipliers that are shown in that picture.  At the moment, it is being limited to the 34 multiplier.

3 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

@M4C1XLeave the turbo multipliers at their default settings that are shown in your screenshot.  Your CPU is not an unlocked CPU.  You cannot overclock it. 

If you enable the C states, your CPU will be allowed to use the turbo multipliers that are shown in that picture.  At the moment, it is being limited to the 34 multiplier.

ok, thanks for now, when I do the game tests, I write back

21 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

ok but i can change this should i change it for better performence?

Your laptop CPU is locked by Intel.  Changing the turbo ratio limits in ThrottleStop higher than the default values will not change anything.  The CPU will ignore this request.  Just enable the C states for maximum light load performance.

12 hours ago, unclewebb said:

Your laptop CPU is locked by Intel.  Changing the turbo ratio limits in ThrottleStop higher than the default values will not change anything.  The CPU will ignore this request.  Just enable the C states for maximum light load performance.

Still the same2020-03-22.txt

12 hours ago, unclewebb said:

This is my ThrottleStop config 

htyh.png

kuy.png

7 hours ago, M4C1X said:

Still the same

Did you find and delete the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Driver?  What method did you use?  Unless you remove this driver and prevent it from being reinstalled, as soon as you reboot, often times this driver will automatically be reinstalled by Windows.  Try removing this driver and then do another test and run another log file before rebooting.  

Your log file shows that the turbo power limit is still being set to 10.0 Watts which kills performance.  If Dell is setting this power limit in the EC, there is nothing that ThrottleStop or any other software can do to help.  That makes your laptop unusable for anything beyond light duty work. 

31 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

Did you find and delete the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Driver?  What method did you use?  Unless you remove this driver and prevent it from being reinstalled, as soon as you reboot, often times this driver will automatically be reinstalled by Windows.  Try removing this driver and then do another test and run another log file before rebooting.  

Your log file shows that the turbo power limit is still being set to 10.0 Watts which kills performance.  If Dell is setting this power limit in the EC, there is nothing that ThrottleStop or any other software can do to help.  That makes your laptop unusable for anything beyond light duty work. 

I ununstalled it in control panel and now it isn t installed

23 hours ago, unclewebb said:

:D just had my daugters new laptop with this issue and couldnt find a answer on why BD prochot throttled at 40 degrees c.

After quite alot of trubleshooting, and comfirming with throttlestop I updated the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Driver.  To fix the issue.

this was on a i5-5300u through.