Upgrade Or Just Go For It All

Hello guys,so this is the computer I am running currently is this: http://www.geeks.com...AY-FX-250D915-B

and in it I have a Pentium 4 530 3.0 GHz single core, a 320 gb HDD, 2gb of DDR2 ram, and a wifi card. Should I just buy a Core 2 Quad,  2 more gb of ram, a 480w psu, and a 7750 or go for a whole brand new build? 

Oh man this is some ancient hardware you've got there. I say go for a whole brand new build. Upgrading such and old computer is not worth the investment :) If you need any help the friendly LTT forum members will be glad to help

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

Oh man this is some ancient hardware you've got there. I say go for a whole brand new build. Upgrading such and old computer is not worth the investment :) If you need any help the friendly LTT forum members will be glad to help

that is some pretty expensive build. See what would be your budget first then search for parts.

They are relatively around the same price just by around 50 USD bucks. I dont know what to do about it though because of the little parts I need to put in the case I feel tempted to just upgrade it.

that is some pretty expensive build. See what would be your budget first then search for parts.

My budget is around $300 USD and the cheapest prices I have seen are from outlet pc. all of those components just for $264.99 USD and that is including the tax. (Shipping is free)

Hmmm what are you going to do with the pc?

Game, mostly APB Reloaded, and maybe just maybe, GTA V on low-med settings.

Going to have to agree here.

DS, if you had a C2Q already, I'd consider upgrading the current build, but by the time you upgrade the CPU, you're most of the way to a more capable new system, cost-wise.

Unless you plan on overclocking, get the base model i5 with a budget motherboard and 4GB DDR3 (which is substantially cheaper than DDR2). With a low power GPU, like the 7750, you could get away with the PSU that comes with most reasonable cases unless you go super-cheap. 400W is fine.

Obsidian

• AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.8GHz, NB @ 2.6
  • AMD Radeon 6970 1GB (modded 6950)
  • 120GB SSD - OS/Apps
  • RAID0 2x1TB HDDs - Games
  • Catleap 27" 2560x1440 IPS Screen
  • Razer DeathAdder & BlackWidow
  • Audio-Technica AD700s

its just a little over your budget but check it out  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TI5h

I am not so sure about the GT 520 running APB, I have a 320 GB HDD running a 32 bit version of Windows XP and a DVD-RW, but the DVD and HDD are running through molex (I know WOW lol).

Going to have to agree here.

DS, if you had a C2Q already, I'd consider upgrading the current build, but by the time you upgrade the CPU, you're most of the way to a more capable new system, cost-wise.

Unless you plan on overclocking, get the base model i5 with a budget motherboard and 4GB DDR3 (which is substantially cheaper than DDR2). With a low power GPU, like the 7750, you could get away with the PSU that comes with most reasonable cases unless you go super-cheap. 400W is fine.

Well the cheapest i5 I've seen is $181 bucks which is almost two thirds of my budget.

I am not so sure about the GT 520 running APB, I have a 320 GB HDD running a 32 bit version of Windows XP and a DVD-RW, but the DVD and HDD are running through molex (I know WOW lol).

Oops and I forgot to mention that the DVD writer is IDE.

Game, mostly APB Reloaded, and maybe just maybe, GTA V on low-med settings.

Hmmm this is one of the few times I've stumbled upon a budget build as low as this :/ And most of the time they only need their PC for normal day to day usage like E-mails, web browsing. I think you should save up more and have at least like 500 -  600 USD on your budget for a decent build :) But it's up to you, if you want I can try and scrounge up something on pcpartpickeR, but lemme tell you it ain't gonna be pretty

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

Hmmm this is one of the few times I've stumbled upon a budget build as low as this :/ And most of the time they only need their PC for normal day to day usage like E-mails, web browsing. I think you should save up more and have at least like 500 -  600 USD on your budget for a decent build :) But it's up to you, if you want I can try and scrounge up something on pcpartpickeR, but lemme tell you it ain't gonna be pretty

You are very right, I can scavenge at least another $50 but that is as high as I will go.

its just a little over your budget but check it out http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TI5h

I'd ditch the aftermarket cooler, go with cheaper memory (1333 is fine) and get a case/PSU combo if it works out cheaper. Keep the current HDD and DVD drive unless they're both IDE (that boar appears to have 1 IDE port). If you can stretch to a better CPU and GPU, do that.

If you can save for a bit and spend a little more, it's a good idea. If you start off with a system that has too many cut corners, it requires more investment later on to bring up to scratch. eg. If you can get an 1155 system, rather than an old AM3+ system, you have more upgrade options, although the IDE DVD drive would probably have to go, so that makes it difficult.

Obsidian

• 120GB SSD - OS/Apps
  • Audio-Technica AD700s

I'd ditch the aftermarket cooler, go with cheaper memory (1333 is fine) and get a case/PSU combo if it works out cheaper. Keep the current HDD and DVD drive unless they're both IDE. If you can stretch to a better CPU and GPU, do that.

Just the DVD writer is IDE, I guess I can boot from a USB to put Linux in the HDD.

Just the DVD writer is IDE, I guess I can boot from a USB to put Linux in the HDD.

Check my edited post above. That board has an IDE port.

Even a Dual Core Pentium should outperform that Athlon.

Obsidian

• 120GB SSD - OS/Apps
  • Audio-Technica AD700s

I'd ditch the aftermarket cooler, go with cheaper memory (1333 is fine) and get a case/PSU combo if it works out cheaper. Keep the current HDD and DVD drive unless they're both IDE (that boar appears to have 1 IDE port). If you can stretch to a better CPU and GPU, do that.

If you can save for a bit and spend a little more, it's a good idea. If you start off with a system that has too many cut corners, it requires more investment later on to bring up to scratch. eg. If you can get an 1155 system, rather than an old AM3+ system, you have more upgrade options, although the IDE DVD drive would probably have to go, so that makes it difficult.

Well so far I have found a $10 case, 1 4GB stick of DDR3 Ram which is $28 bucks, and a $13 480w PSU.

Check my edited post above. That board has an IDE port.

Woops sorry lag.

Well so far I have found a $10 case, 1 4GB stick of DDR3 Ram which is $28 bucks, and a $13 480w PSU.

Don't spend that little on the PSU, it sounds very risky. If you have to keep your current case and spend more on the PSU, do so.

Obsidian

• 120GB SSD - OS/Apps
  • Audio-Technica AD700s

Don't spend that little on the PSU, it sounds very risky. If you have to keep your current case and spend more on the PSU, do so.

I don't think I can keep the case because it is BTX sized, the brand is logisys I could add another dollar for a 500w one from ARK technology?

So far this is what it consists of:

$10 InWIN V500 case

$14 500w PSU

$57 B75 Motherboard

$27 4GB stick of RAM

$65 Pentium G2020

$99 HD 7750 2GB

I don't think I can keep the case because it is BTX sized, the brand is logisys I could add another dollar for a 500w one from ARK technology?

Don't skimp on the power supply. Get a Corsair CX 430w it's around 45 USD. It's 80+ bronze which will do you fine for the setup you are gonna have

So far this is what it consists of:

$10 InWIN V500 case

$14 500w PSU

$57 B75 Motherboard

$27 4GB stick of RAM

$65 Pentium G2020

$99 HD 7750 2GB

and the total is $294.71 USD including tax, shipping is free on orders over $99.

Don't skimp on the power supply. Get a Corsair CX 430w it's around 45 USD. It's 80+ bronze which will do you fine for the setup you are gonna have

The ratings say it is great for the price and I didn't see any about it failing.

whats wrong with and AM3+ i have one and love it, so much better than intel, (My opinion don't jump down my throat, ive had many an intel cpu crap out on me)

Fan Junkie