Netflix cut streaming quality in Europe

porina
1 hour ago, porina said:

Interesting. I've not noticed any change in UK. My system is still on Auto and defaults to indicated 1080p. As I'm watching windowed (not full screen) on 1080p I can't usually tell between 720p and 1080p without intentional pixel peeping, but it looks normal to me. It is for sure better than 360p.

It would be an interesting exercise to see what the tradeoff would be to keep at the higher nominal resolution, but reduce the bitrate.

I can see the bitrate seems a bit lower, but only noticeable on like LTT who try for really good quality videos.

2 hours ago, porina said:

Interesting. I've not noticed any change in UK. My system is still on Auto and defaults to indicated 1080p. As I'm watching windowed (not full screen) on 1080p I can't usually tell between 720p and 1080p without intentional pixel peeping, but it looks normal to me. It is for sure better than 360p.

It would be an interesting exercise to see what the tradeoff would be to keep at the higher nominal resolution, but reduce the bitrate.

For me it also says AUTO 1080p or 720p, but the video is more than obviously 144p or 240p because the quality is just total garbage. So I need to constantly fix the damn bitrate by hand. It's bad on main PC which is fast and makes it almost unbearable on my low end ASUS Transformer where it takes like few seconds to flip between settings. And despite it being 10" display, image quality is so bad it's unwatchable. And even if it's suppose to re-detect manually, it's taking so long the video might be over before it switches so I'm forced to do it by hand and it's so absolutely redarded I can't describe it in written words. I often watch it at 480p to save battery on the netbook so I can go few evenings without charging and I don't need sharp image as I doze off quickly anyway and it doesn't even stick with that from start to end. Unless I again manually do it. Ugh. Fucking corona, just die already. This is stupid.