How much of a boost will I get?

Hey, so I've been considering upgrading my cpu + mobo, I currently have an am3+ mobo and the AMDfx 8350 Black Edition@ 4GHz, I was thinking of upgrading to a 

i5 4670K and a Z87k mobo- will the performance gain be worth it? I also have a 4gb gtx 760 and my psu/RAM won't be an issue.

Not much honestly. I'd wait for the Haswell refresh to upgrade if thats what you want to do. Spend it on a new gpu.

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

Not much

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

Not much honestly. I'd wait for the Haswell refresh to upgrade if thats what you want to do. Spend it on a new gpu.

Broadwell, as far as I know, will launch this year, so there won't be any Haswell refresh, only extreme editions.

Please, correct me if I am wrong!

PC: 5600x @ 4.85GHz // RTX 3080 Eagle OC // 16GB Trident Z Neo  // Corsair RM750X // MSI B550M Mortar Wi-Fi // Noctua NH-D15S // Cooler Master NR400 // Samsung 50QN90A // Logitech G305 // Corsair K65 // Corsair Virtuoso //

get a new ssd more gpu better monitor, 900D case many more. there is hardly any improvement from going there.

Live your life like a dream.

Got an SSD and my cooling setup is decent, I'll maybe just wait for Broadwell then?

Yeah I would wait for Broadwell and see benchmarks compared to the 8350 before considering upgrading as the 8350 is still a pretty good cpu.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

mgsstar, You're probably right, I've just been struggling lately with my favourite game, Skyrim, VERY heavily modded, I got the 4gb card for the additional vRAM, and am still getting shitty performance. Guess it just needs a bit more tweaking on my end. 

and Joshua, I already have a Corsair 330R which I love, my GPU I'd say is fairly reasonable, and I have an SSD already, so I'm just gonna stick it out until there's a CPU worth upgrading for

Thanks.

Damn, looks like I'll have to wait one more year to upgrade...

PC: 5600x @ 4.85GHz // RTX 3080 Eagle OC // 16GB Trident Z Neo  // Corsair RM750X // MSI B550M Mortar Wi-Fi // Noctua NH-D15S // Cooler Master NR400 // Samsung 50QN90A // Logitech G305 // Corsair K65 // Corsair Virtuoso //

Hey, so I've been considering upgrading my cpu + mobo, I currently have an am3+ mobo and the AMDfx 8350 Black Edition@ 4GHz, I was thinking of upgrading to a 

i5 4670K and a Z87k mobo- will the performance gain be worth it? I also have a 4gb gtx 760 and my psu/RAM won't be an issue.

Not much now and even less in the future as games get more optimized to use more cores.

"Rawr XD"

A lot, up to 100% more fps. Plenty of games are CPU limited & lightthreaded so yes.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-fx-8350-vs-intel-core-i7-3770k-4-8ghz-multi-gpu-gaming-performance/17494.html?ak_action=reject_mobile

Got an SSD and my cooling setup is decent, I'll maybe just wait for Broadwell then?

Doesnt matter tbh Haswell is like 7 years ahead of 8350's.

Not much now and even less in the future as games get more optimized to use more cores.

All games we currently have can use 30 cores so your point is invalid.. Next gen games are still shitty multithreaded such as Titanfall being one example so don't hope to see every title coming being sexy multithreaded, will always be a delusion. Even if they would be multithreaded like people wish; the game will just remain a broken game that would only receive a few stability fixes and without any proper performance improvements in the longer run eg BF4.

A lot, up to 100% more fps. Plenty of games are CPU limited & lightthreaded so yes.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-fx-8350-vs-intel-core-i7-3770k-4-8ghz-multi-gpu-gaming-performance/17494.html?ak_action=reject_mobile

Doesnt matter tbh Haswell is like 7 years ahead of 8350's.

All games we currently have can use 30 cores so your point is invalid.. Next gen games are still shitty multithreaded such as Titanfall being one example so don't hope to see every title coming being sexy multithreaded, will always be a delusion. Even if they would be multithreaded like people wish; the game will just remain a broken game that would only receive a few stability fixes and without any proper performance improvements in the longer run eg BF4.

I'd love to see where you get your facts from, because I'm pretty sure 100% fps boost is wrong, and also 7 years ahead? And also next gen games will take advantage of the more cores

Gaming Rig "Project Primitus" - AMD FX-8320 CPU, Asus M5A97 R2.0 Mobo, G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB RAM @1866 MHz, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Gigabyte Geforce GTX 760 GPU, Fractal Design Define R4 Window, Corsair CX600 PSU

Pics and my reviews for the build here - http://pcpartpicker.com/b/LvN

Peripherals - Corsair Vengeance K70 MX Red, Logitech G402,Kingston HyperX Cloud, 21" TV, Steelseries QcK Heavy Mousepad, Macbook Pro 2012 13"

I'd say just upgrade to a ROG 990fx or Sabertooth 990fx motherboard, or H100i, better graphics card, or even more games. :) 

I wouldn't upgrade yet, I would wait

Gaming Rig "Project Primitus" - AMD FX-8320 CPU, Asus M5A97 R2.0 Mobo, G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB RAM @1866 MHz, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Gigabyte Geforce GTX 760 GPU, Fractal Design Define R4 Window, Corsair CX600 PSU

Peripherals - Corsair Vengeance K70 MX Red, Logitech G402,Kingston HyperX Cloud, 21" TV, Steelseries QcK Heavy Mousepad, Macbook Pro 2012 13"

I'd love to see where you get your facts from, because I'm pretty sure 100% fps boost is wrong, and also 7 years ahead? And also next gen games will take advantage of the more cores

In that review I linked you'll see results going up to 100%. Want more sources? Sure

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/screenshots/original/2013/05/Test-Haswell-4770K-4670K-4570-SC2-HotS-v2.png

http://pclab.pl/zdjecia/artykuly/radek/2013/haswell/wykresy/fsx_1920.png

youtube.com/watch?v=26UKz42uQ1Y @ 17:53 & @ 16:06

http://cdn.overclock.net/e/e6/900x900px-LL-e62d7182_bit-tech.png

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph7189/56765.png

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4083/35049.png (8350's single core performance isn't any better than a phenom x6 1100T BE so valid)

And so on.. 

and also 7 years ahead? 

8350's IPC is from 2007 so 7 years old.

And also next gen games will take advantage of the more cores

We only have 1 game that takes advantage of 8 cores and thats Crysis 3. BF4 doesnt seem to be taking advantage of more than 6 cores. Next gen games being multithreaded means nothing, will still be junk just like Titanfall. Every engine they take over to nextgen platforms would be crappy multithreaded. I5's are outperforming 8350's in games that are supposed to be taking advantage of 8 cores which would be a reason why the 8350 would outperform the i5 but it's far from being true asyou can see the BF4/Crysis 3 results.

I'd say just upgrade to a ROG 990fx or Sabertooth 990fx motherboard, or H100i, better graphics card, or even more games.  :)

I wouldn't upgrade yet, I would wait

Stop advising people if you aren't even properly aware how bad AMD is. Making him to buy a Rog board for his amd cpu is just pointless..

In that review I linked you'll see results going up to 100%. Want more sources? Sure

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/screenshots/original/2013/05/Test-Haswell-4770K-4670K-4570-SC2-HotS-v2.png

http://pclab.pl/zdjecia/artykuly/radek/2013/haswell/wykresy/fsx_1920.png

youtube.com/watch?v=26UKz42uQ1Y @ 17:53 & @ 16:06

http://cdn.overclock.net/e/e6/900x900px-LL-e62d7182_bit-tech.png

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph7189/56765.png

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4083/35049.png (8350's single core performance isn't any better than a phenom x6 1100T BE so valid)

And so on.. 

8350's IPC is from 2007 so 7 years old.

We only have 1 game that takes advantage of 8 cores and thats Crysis 3. BF4 doesnt seem to be taking advantage of more than 6 cores. Next gen games being multithreaded means nothing, will still be junk just like Titanfall. Every engine they take over to nextgen platforms would be crappy multithreaded. I5's are outperforming 8350's in games that are supposed to be taking advantage of 8 cores which would be a reason why the 8350 would outperform the i5 but it's far from being true asyou can see the BF4/Crysis 3 results.

Stop advising people if you aren't even properly aware how bad AMD is. Making him to buy a Rog board for his amd cpu is just pointless..

Sigh, Intel fanboys at it again. And don't even call me an AMD fanboy, all my systems before my current one have had i5's or i3's. 

I don't see 100% increase here at all, and the 8350 runs so much cooler than the i5, even with a over clock. And also how is AMD a bad company, they make awesome GPU's and the best price/performance cpu's on the market. An ROG board or Sabertooth board would allow him to over clock better. You should be the one not allowed to give advise because of how bias you are towards intel

Sigh, Intel fanboys at it again. And don't even call me an AMD fanboy, all my systems before my current one have had i5's or i3's. 

Doesn't make the difference that you haven't brought anything useful up yet.

I don't see 100% increase here at all, and the 8350 runs so much cooler than the i5, even with a over clock. And also how is AMD a bad company, they make awesome GPU's and the best price/performance cpu's on the market. An ROG board or Sabertooth board would allow him to over clock better. You should be the one not allowed to give advise because of how bias you are towards intel

That video makes no sense because in all his tests the gpu was the bottleneck, or do you want me to show you some R9 290x vs 780ti benchmarks with a pentium 3 @ 500MHz which would be the bottleneck? You've seen increases up to 100% from atleast 6 different sources. AMD's max socket temp is around 65° thats easily achievable with 70° orsomething on cores so I don't see the logic of your "8350 runs cooler than i5" argument. Intels thermal controls are much better. They don't make the best price/performance cpu's on the market in the 200$ segment; an i5 is much better for its price and 8350's are overpriced.

Overclocking 8350's to 5GHz don't even come close to an i5@stock for gaming so I don't see the point of wasting 200$ for a stupid rog board when he can sell his CPU&mobo and get an i5. I didn't say theyre a bad company, their 8320/8350's are just bad for its price.

You should be the one not allowed to give advise because of how bias you are towards intel 

I'm sticking to the facts that an i5 4670k for any cpu bound situation is complety worth it over an 8350@5GHz. You're advising him to get a rog board+h100i over an i5 when a 4670k+cheapestz87board+Evo212 would be much cheaper with tons of more performance, so who's the one giving biased opinions here? 

mgsstar, You're probably right, I've just been struggling lately with my favourite game, Skyrim, VERY heavily modded, I got the 4gb card for the additional vRAM, and am still getting shitty performance. Guess it just needs a bit more tweaking on my end. 

and Joshua, I already have a Corsair 330R which I love, my GPU I'd say is fairly reasonable, and I have an SSD already, so I'm just gonna stick it out until there's a CPU worth upgrading for

4GB of Vram with that size bus is a joke. I have never seen one use more then 2.5GB of Vram with a 256bit bus.

If you want more performance for next to nothing then OC the 8350. It will close down the performance delta and wouldn't make buying a new CPU and mobo worth it.

I'm sticking to the facts that an i5 4670k for any cpu bound situation is complety worth it over an 8350@5GHz. You're advising him to get a rog board+h100i over an i5 when a 4670k+cheapestz87board+Evo212 would be much cheaper with tons of more performance, so who's the one giving biased opinions here? 

I wasn't saying that he sould get all of them at once, I was saying that get one or the other, their both great products

ROG board = $225

and/or

h100i = $95

Total = $320

4670K = $234

Hyper 212 EVO: $30

Asrock Pro 3 Z87 board (cheapest reputable brand, but even I wouldn't get this) - $95

Total - $360

A sabertooth board is less and just as effective as a ROG 990fx board as well

their 8320/8350's are just bad for its price.

Your saying that an $8320 i got for 130 USD is bad for the price, and an AMD 8350 going as low as $170 at one point on newegg is bad for their price?n Please let me get some of what your smoking. I have never seen a 4670K go under 200 USD

I wasn't saying that he sould get all of them at once, I was saying that get one or the other, their both great products

ROG board = $225

and/or

h100i = $95

Total = $320

4670K = $234

Hyper 212 EVO: $30

Asrock Pro 3 Z87 board (cheapest reputable brand, but even I wouldn't get this) - $95

Total - $360

A sabertooth board is less and just as effective as a ROG 990fx board as well

Your saying that an $8320 i got for 130 USD is bad for the price, and an AMD 8350 going as low as $170 at one point on newegg is bad for their price?n Please let me get some of what your smoking. I have never seen a 4670K go under 200 USD

Agree with the Sabertooth claim, that's basically the same board as the Asus Crosshair if I recall, or close enough to not consider spending that much more than the Sabertooth. The GA-990FX-UD5 or w/e from Gigabyte is close to those as well and cheaper.

I would rather get a B85 board and a 4670 than that ASRock Z87 unless you lived near a Microcenter/could price match at Staples or Best Buy for their $179.99 4670k. It's like $5-10 less than a 4670k ($200-205 vs $210-235 usually) but there's no point in spending $10+ more on a bad Z87 and what I consider a mediocre cooler for $30-35 on top of that $5-10+.

The FX-8320 IMO is most worth it at $120-130, not $150, and the 8350 is only worth buying when below $170-180. I don't think I've seen either processor hit that low often or recently, so you're kind of sitting on your hands waiting for something to happen that hardly will be worth it unless you planned on using all 8 cores of the FX-8000s for rendering and the likes. The 4670k comes in at a good enough price point that even when not overclocked/heavily overclocked, it's more worthwhile to buy at full price. And I don't think you need nearly as decent a cooler to OC it well, either (something like an EVO would be fine, I just think there's far better out there for $10-20 more).

Expecting 5ghz out of an 8350 is not good, nor is expecting 4.5ghz out of an 8320. I wouldn't say it's extremely difficult to get either speed but neither is as guaranteed as people seem to put forward. I would more readily spend $280 on a 9590 than invest in an 8350 unless I couldn't afford anything above a $70 fan/heatsink CPU cooler, which would perform similarly to most CLCs.

And if I couldn't handle cooling a 9590, then I'd just get a 4670k. Below that, on-sale 8320/very very cheap 8350, or just stick with the FX-6300. Literally nothing else competes with any of these 5 CPUs at their price points on sale, and sometimes even when at normal pricing.

I'm biased neither to AMD or Intel, I picked the 8350 because at the time of build it was probably the best cpu for my money.

Fairly skeptical about this. The consensus here is essentially it won't be worth my money, and as far as overclocking goes I've managed to get my 8350 to 4.6GHz before so I think it will still perform well for me until Broadwell becomes an option.

I have never seen a 4670K go under 200 USD

After you've seen Intel's IPC being twice as fast you're still not using your brain so a non K i5 would be a choice to consider.

Your saying that an $8320 i got for 130 USD is bad for the price, and an AMD 8350 going as low as $170 at one point on newegg is bad for their price?n Please let me get some of what your smoking. 

Who wouldn't spend 20$ more for up to 100% more performance? Kinda weird why you didnt. Because of the overclocking option? That's only going to add at its best 30% performance in games which is barely closing the gap. 

Fairly skeptical about this. 

Linked you more than enough sources that proved it and the main reason you dont see it happening enough is because reviewers are more of a retard being incapable of making the cpu the limiting factor. If you compare cpu's you should have them being the limiting factor and not the GPU because youre interested in how much the CPU is actually capable of especially with multiplayer factors that tortures the cpu 10 times as hard. 

The consensus here is essentially it won't be worth my money, and as far as overclocking goes I've managed to get my 8350 to 4.6GHz before so I think it will still perform well for me until Broadwell becomes an option.

Maybe you should mention which games you're playing. Plenty of gpu bound games and cpu bound games. As I said you'd only gain performance if the game is cpu limited such as Planetside 2/all mmo/rts games etc but something like Crysis 3 or just a stupid single player game that barely requires anything of the cpu then you won't gain any frames by upgrading to an i5. Anyways if you're interested in determinig by yourself if your cpu is the limit or your GPU, it's fairly easy just get a monitoring tool like GPU-z or OSD ones like Playclaw5/MSI Afterburner or EVGA precision and keep an eye on the gpu loads. If the gpu is sitting at 99% your gpu is the bottleneck and if you aren't happy with your frames you should upgrade your GPU. If it's below 99% then it's a cpu bottleneck so a overclock would make tons of difference or a cpu upgrade (depends how well the game is multithreaded).

Let's say you have somewhere gpu loads of 75% with 30 fps with your amd and you buy a new CPU (like an i5) that removes the bottleneck complety, you'd only gain 25% more fps giving you 37 fps (30*1.25) so 7 fps wouldn't be worth the i5 upgrade really. Another example; 50% gpu load & 60 fps with your amd and with an i5 99% 120 fps then it would be worth it.

4GB of Vram with that size bus is a joke. I have never seen one use more then 2.5GB of Vram with a 256bit bus.

Yeah I agree, 4GB is pointless but we can't prove it about the bus and even if 4GB would be used the gpu cores will just struggle regardless of how many cards therefore making it still pointless eg 4K uhd. Also if we see 2.5GB or 3GB being used, tons of that vram amount is cached that doesnt impact performance at all. You only need more vram if you run out of vram which is easily noticeable because it starts to use your ssd as swapfile literally killing your performance like 1 fps or 10 frames per hour and the gpu loads are crappy low.

HONESTLY, my opinion is get a NICE and i mean nice board, and an awesome cooler, over clock to 4.5ghz or so and youll be set! if you already have an 8320 theres no point selling it for a 4670k &board.

8320/8350s are neck and neck with 4670ks, 4670k performs better on poorly optimized games but the 8320/50 is faster on optimized games/rendering/streaming. even faster streaming then i7s in some situations. for a cpu with a 5 year old architecture its pretty damn awesome to still be competing at a much lower price

The Beast [Case -  Corsair 750D CPU - I5 4670k @ 4.3ghz 1.2V CPU cooler - Hyper 212 evo Mobo - MSI g45 z87 RAM - G.Skill Z series 4*4@1866mhz GPU - Gigabyte windforce 3x r9 290 Storage - SSD, samsung 840 evo 120gb HDD, Western Digital Blue 1tb PSU - SilverStone Strider silver 80+ 750WPeripherals [Monitor - ASUS VS239 IPS 23" Keyboard - Corsair K95 Mouse - Mad Catz RAT 7]

After you've seen Intel's IPC being twice as fast you're still not using your brain so a non K i5 would be a choice to consider.

Who wouldn't spend 20$ more for up to 100% more performance? Kinda weird why you didnt. Because of the overclocking option? That's only going to add at its best 30% performance in games which is barely closing the gap. 

Are you trying to insult me with that first comment? Because that didn't make any sense what so ever, why would I buy a locked processor anyway. $20 more a 4670K? are you joking. Like I have said never seen it below $200, last time I checked, thats about a $70 difference. That's a lot talking about price/performance. Very skeptical of that %100 more performance!! Because that is a blunt lie