Ubuntu 19.10 Shared wifi over ethernet. LAN cant connect to the client. How to fix?

Metallus97
Go to solution Solved by Windows7ge,

At least on Windows sharing an Internet connection through the PC is like 1/2 NAT where the Guest can make a connection out to clients on the Host subnet but connections coming back need to be translated (NAT). Linux may be different but usually people only share their Internet connection when they want a guest to have Internet access not a connection to the parent subnet so there's a chance here that what you're asking isn't possible.

I'd try to find a corner in a different room where you can put the machine. One you can easily run power and Ethernet to.

Hey guys!

I am not that much of a networking expert and need some advice. I have set two folding at home PCs. One has Wifi, the other one doesn't (driver issues I dont wanna bother with). I only have access to wifi and not to cable internet. 

On the machine with wifi I enabled wifi to ether ethernet sharing via this guide: https://askubuntu.com/questions/359856/share-wireless-internet-connection-through-ethernet (first answer) and connected the PC without wifi to it. Works perfectly for internet access!

To remote control my F@H client I need to connect to the secondary  PC via LAN and port 36330. How do I make the secondary PC visible in my lan. 

ifconfig even doenst give me a 192.168... IP for it?

Connecting to the main PC with wifi works no problemo!

Thanks!

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

At least on Windows sharing an Internet connection through the PC is like 1/2 NAT where the Guest can make a connection out to clients on the Host subnet but connections coming back need to be translated (NAT). Linux may be different but usually people only share their Internet connection when they want a guest to have Internet access not a connection to the parent subnet so there's a chance here that what you're asking isn't possible.

I'd try to find a corner in a different room where you can put the machine. One you can easily run power and Ethernet to.

On 3/19/2020 at 3:53 PM, Windows7ge said:

wellll ok then. Thanks for the info! I simply ordered a el cheapo WiFi adopter that is supported. Will put on different network than my main devices and bandwidth doesn't really matter for F@H :D

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂