Please help! Need to salvage some data from a nvme drive!

Parafuseta

Hello, I'm in need of help.

My GF laptop has an optane "drive" and a nvme m.2 drive for OS/storage.

Unfortunately it's of a brand quite unknown outside my country:

While playing some games her notebook "BSOD'd" with the code:

File:\boot\BCD Error code: 0xc000014c

After that, she lost access to windows and her files/projects so I've tried without success to repair the installation using boot flash drives and a number os fixes and suggestions, to no avail.

Then, I've whipped out a SSD, installed windows 10 on it and tried to log into it with the nvme installed to try and copy some files before formatting it.

But the problem is that by itself, the SSD boots alright but as soon as I add the nvme back its messes up the boot of the SSD.

Looks like it tries to boot from it and obviously isn't able to do so and then I'm unable to even access windows on the SSD.

What I'm trying to do is to boot win10 with another drive (the sata SSD) and then copy over the file explorer whatever files she needs before formatting the nvme.

Is my reasoning sound?

What can I do in order to achieve this solution? Any other ideas?

I'm all ears and will report with lots of details and photos and whatnot, if needed, in pursuit of the fixes proposed here.

Thanks a lot!

5 minutes ago, Parafuseta said:

But the problem is that by itself, the SSD boots alright but as soon as I add the nvme back its messes up the boot of the SSD.

Have you changed the boot order in bios to make sure the laptop tries to boot from the new ssd first?

5 minutes ago, The_russian said:

Have you changed the boot order in bios to make sure the laptop tries to boot from the new ssd first?

Disabling the NVMe drive in the boot options might help as well. My laptop always tries to boot from my HDD (it's old) even if another boot drive is higher on the priority list, Disabling the HDD and only giving it the option to boot from the drive I want was the only thing that worked for me.

Intel 7600K Over Clocked to 4.8 jibahurtz, GTX 1080 Founders Edition space heater, Cooler Master 212 Evo jet engine, 8GB DDR4 Ballistic Ram, 250GB hyperX ssd, Fractel Design Define S, Blue snowball on an arm mount, mismatched god monitors, dual keyboards, LG mouse (no vital signs, Think it died.)

12 minutes ago, The_russian said:

I've got a pretty limited BIOS on this laptop.

I've tried to get the boot manager screen (to select which drive to boot from) but couldn't get at it.

And when it comes to boot order it just says "Windows Boot Manager" without any kind of order (as in it would prompt me to choose, but it doesn't).

5 minutes ago, unholyprfection said:

Disabling the NVMe drive in the boot options might help as well. My laptop always tries to boot from my HDD (it's old) even if another boot drive is higher on the priority list, Disabling the HDD and only giving it the option to boot from the drive I want was the only thing that worked for me.

How would I go about this?

I've never seen such a limited BIOS.

Of course I should've mentioned but the notebook is a Avell A62.

As far as I know, they use "clevo" laptops and stick another name on top of it.

Just now, Parafuseta said:

I've got a pretty limited BIOS on this laptop.

I've tried to get the boot manager screen (to select which drive to boot from) but couldn't get at it.

And when it comes to boot order it just says "Windows Boot Manager" without any kind of order (as in it would prompt me to choose, but it doesn't).

How would I go about this?

I've never seen such a limited BIOS.

Of course I should've mentioned but the notebook is a Avell A62.

As far as I know, they use "clevo" laptops and stick another name on top of it.

Windows boot manager was the main issue with mine. when your in the boot menu drop down you should see an option for disabled. If you set the first one to the drive you want to boot and select that for the others it should work. (I don't have my boot drive connected so only boot manager and disabled show up in the pics but you should see your other drive in the list as well)

P_20200318_001530.jpg

P_20200318_001538.jpg

Intel 7600K Over Clocked to 4.8 jibahurtz, GTX 1080 Founders Edition space heater, Cooler Master 212 Evo jet engine, 8GB DDR4 Ballistic Ram, 250GB hyperX ssd, Fractel Design Define S, Blue snowball on an arm mount, mismatched god monitors, dual keyboards, LG mouse (no vital signs, Think it died.)

At the moment of my first pictures I had only the SSD installed.

I"ll screw in the nvme back again and report with the options the bios allows me then

These are the meager options I get:

I don't see how can i single out a specific drive with these options.

Every BIOS I've used in the past, when you got into the advanced tabs, allowed you to choose by drive the order into which they would boot.

But not this one, these (in the pictures) are all the option that I get.

I'm pretty confused.

IMG_2540.JPG

IMG_2541.JPG

IMG_2542.JPG

IMG_2544.JPG

1 minute ago, Parafuseta said:

These are the meager options I get:

I don't see how can i single out a specific drive with these options.

Every BIOS I've used in the past, when you got into the advanced tabs, allowed you to choose by drive the order into which they would boot.

But not this one, these (in the pictures) are all the option that I get.

I'm pretty confused.

IMG_2540.JPG

IMG_2541.JPG

IMG_2542.JPG

IMG_2544.JPG

you should be able to select the drive you want for boot option 1. once you have the drive you want set go to options 2-7 and set each of them to disabled (I deleted all my extra boot options to make is easier for me to manage but as long as everything but the drive you want is set to disabled it should work the same)

The problem is... this blue menu is all I get when I try to select the boot options (#1 through #7)

I don't get the option to select the samsung (SSD) or the WD (nvme), just those terms shown in the photos.

🤷‍♂️

14 minutes ago, Parafuseta said:

The problem is... this blue menu is all I get when I try to select the boot options (#1 through #7)

I don't get the option to select the samsung (SSD) or the WD (nvme), just those terms shown in the photos.

🤷‍♂️

Sorry missed that when I looked at the pic. Not sure I can be of much help in that case. From a quick search it seems like boot manager is needed in some cases to be able to start windows but I wasn't able to find a way to tell boot manager what drive to use when 2 drives are available. Hopefully someone else with a bit more experience will be able to help. If it wasn't 1AM I would keep digging for you out of my own curiosity, but for now I think I have to toss in the towel and head to bed.