75hz Monitor shutting off on desktop display when paired with 60hz laptop

ducktorque

So this has been a little bit frustrating. I have a laptop, HP Omen 15-ax250wm, with a i7 7700HQ, and a gtx 1050. When I'm not using this laptop on-the-go, I set it up on my desk, plugged into my Asus 75hz "gaming" monitor. I used to have a desktop that had a 1060 ssc, and a ryzen 1300x, always ran it on 75hz. I finally realized after a couple months that I was running 60hz when paired with my laptop, so I went and set it up to 75hz, and realized an oddball issue that I haven't been able to find an answer to. Every time that my Asus display only shows the desktop view, it will totally go black (I can go from being on the browser, steam, a game, or any program really, it will function normally, but as soon as I hit the minimize button and goes to the desktop, it totally blacks out), as if it were in stand-by mode, while the HP laptop's display will continue functioning, also showing the desktop view.

Anyone have some ideas or clues? Much appreciated

(btw this is my first thread and the only reason I made an account for now, I apologize if I made any mistakes in posting this)