2070 super, cpu.

Go to solution Solved by Ramrod126,

Your motherboard is 2011 v3 if I am not mistaken. There is nothing I can see that would make a worthwhile upgrade without replacing the motherboard as well. I mean, the cheapest CPU (not used) I can find is an i7-5930k at around 300 dollars. Even if you overclock it this is at least 5 generations old. Might be time to bite the bullet and go for a new mobo as well.

i have a 2070 super in my computer, and it is currently beeing realy bottlenecked by the cpu.

so i hope for som suggestions, recomandations for a good cpu for my 2070super. something good enough so that there is no bottleneck, moneys worth.

intel is preferable.

1 minute ago, haral said:

i have a 2070 super in my computer, and it is currently beeing realy bottlenecked by the cpu.

so i hope for som suggestions, recomandations for a good cpu for my 2070super. something good enough so that there is no bottleneck, moneys worth.

intel is preferable.

What do you have right now? What are you looking to spend? Is this purely for gaming, if so what games?

My vote would go to a 3600 or 3700x or alternatively a 9600K(F) or 9700K(F) if you want Intel. 9900K or 3900X is really only worth it if you will need the extra threads, as it will cost  quite a bit more.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I mean you could use the Core i9-9900K(F)?

It has the Same 8 Cores and 16 Threads as the K Model but doesent have integrated Graphics inside of it.

Hope that Helps.

right now im runnig a xeon e5-1620, so it is not the best, because the computer is goin to mainly be used for gaming.

another xeon would be ok if there is no bottleneck while gaming.

im currentlu looking at the i7 7700k, but im not sure if this would be a good enough cpu.

looking to spend what needs to be spent, only no overkill, just a good enough cpu for my gpu.

Just now, Ramrod126 said:

I have a 2070 Super with an 8700K and I see no bottlenecks. That being said I know you said Intel preferred but cost vs performance is heavily leaning toward AMD right now.

Agreed.  I bought 8700k 3 months ago for the threads...that said i already owned an intel mobo...else I'd have gone AMD and never looked back.  

1 minute ago, haral said:

right now im runnig a xeon e5-1620, so it is not the best, because the computer is goin to mainly be used for gaming.

another xeon would be ok if there is no bottleneck while gaming.

im currentlu looking at the i7 7700k, but im not sure if this would be a good enough cpu.

looking to spend what needs to be spent, only no overkill, just a good enough cpu for my gpu.

If your mobo supports 7700k...and you can find one used for no more than $150...that's not a bad option...else I'd make the jump to AMD.

Just now, Stu_Bear said:

Agreed.  I bought 8700k 3 months ago for the threads...that said i already owned an intel mobo...else I'd have gone AMD and never looked back.  

I've had the 8700K for a while, I just got the 2070 for xmas and it is amazing.

1 minute ago, Stu_Bear said:

If your mobo supports 7700k...and you can find one used for no more than $150...that's not a bad option...else I'd make the jump to AMD.

Agree. If you can get it cheap and don't need a new mobo this might be your best bet..

I still have a 4790K lying around?

I used to pair it with a GTX 1080Ti with no bottlenecks whatsoever but I mean when you start talking about RTX Cards Then start thinking about 8th and 9th CPU's

yeah, i have a used 7700k lined up. but if there is going to be any bottleneck i am not going to take it.

but if it is good enough, then i think i will go for the 7700k.

but if there is any suggestion for a cpu that would be best for this gpu that would be most welcome.

motherboard, msi x99s sli pluss.

so i think the motherboard should be good.

if i go for the 7700k an asus tuf mark 2 comes along with it, so the motherboard will also be swapped out of the 7700k is bought.

then il think il just go with the 7700k and hope the machine will be good enough👍

thanks for many good advices.

Your motherboard is 2011 v3 if I am not mistaken. There is nothing I can see that would make a worthwhile upgrade without replacing the motherboard as well. I mean, the cheapest CPU (not used) I can find is an i7-5930k at around 300 dollars. Even if you overclock it this is at least 5 generations old. Might be time to bite the bullet and go for a new mobo as well.

OK, if the 7700k comes with a working mobo for a decent price then I might consider it worthwhile.

then il just take the 7700k, as it also comes with a new motherboard.

1 minute ago, Alienware 15 R2 said:

@Ramrod126

I never understood how Overclocking your CPU could provide less of a bottleneck?

Please Explain to me?

The faster your CPU runs the more instructions per second it can achieve. More instructions per second = higher performance. This is a generalization but in general more Ghz = more performance for most tasks, including games.

30 minutes ago, haral said:

motherboard, msi x99s sli pluss.

A used i7-5820K is a good value. A little over $100 for 6 cores and overclockable. Although, that's in the United States, if that's relevant. 5th gen HEDT is hardly bad at modern gaming, a couple friends of mine have reliably used them in high refresh rate builds. Your current Xeon is only a little slow on clocks anyway. Personally, I would actually take a 5820K over a 7700K, just because the single threaded performance is almost the same, they both overclock real good, and one doesn't need a new motherboard.

Also, make sure to quote us so we can see your responses.

Edited by Fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

19 minutes ago, Ramrod126 said:

X99 is definitely 2011-3, but the xeon e5-1620 OP listed, is LGA 2011 (like X79)

@haral

could you please double-check what you have right now? 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, minibois said:

X99 is definitely 2011-3, but the xeon e5-1620 OP listed, is LGA 2011 (like X79)

@haral

could you please double-check what you have right now? 

Either way it is super outdated and both mobo and cpu really need to be replaced.