2070 super, cpu.

Go to solution Solved by Ramrod126,

Your motherboard is 2011 v3 if I am not mistaken. There is nothing I can see that would make a worthwhile upgrade without replacing the motherboard as well. I mean, the cheapest CPU (not used) I can find is an i7-5930k at around 300 dollars. Even if you overclock it this is at least 5 generations old. Might be time to bite the bullet and go for a new mobo as well.

i have the xeon e5 now, with the lga 2011-v3 socket

21 minutes ago, Ramrod126 said:

Your motherboard is 2011 v3 if I am not mistaken. There is nothing I can see that would make a worthwhile upgrade without replacing the motherboard as well. I mean, the cheapest CPU (not used) I can find is an i7-5930k at around 300 dollars. Even if you overclock it this is at least 5 generations old. Might be time to bite the bullet and go for a new mobo as well.

Why wouldn't you get a CPU used? They're heeeeeeeeellla cheaper used and CPUs aren't something that really breaks. You buy a legit one and they're fine. Every CPU I've had other than my 2700X and 2200G were used and I've yet to have a single issue. 

1 minute ago, minibois said:

X99 is definitely 2011-3, but the xeon e5-1620 OP listed, is LGA 2011 (like X79)

@haral

could you please double-check what you have right now? 

Likely a v3, those are 2011-3. The v2 and I assume v1 would be 2011. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, Ramrod126 said:

Either way it is super outdated and both mobo and cpu really need to be replaced.

It doesn't, 5th gen HEDT is still great for gaming. You wouldn't see an appreciable difference between an overclocked 5th gen CPU and an overclocked 7700k.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

It doesn't, 5th gen HEDT is still great for gaming. You wouldn't see an appreciable difference between an overclocked 5th gen CPU and an overclocked 7700k.

so i could just overclock the one ive got?.

that beeing said, i know how to build the computer, but i am generally not that good software wise, so i have never overclocked anything before.

7 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Really? A quick google search shows different. Even though the difference might be small everything I am seeing says the 7700k is faster.

OK, maybe saying they NEED to be upgrade was a bit strong. Remember though we are trying to pair with a 2070 super. I would think every little bit would matter.

Just now, haral said:

Well, overclocking Xeons can be but or miss on certain motherboards. If you can overclock it as normal, yes, it's an excellent idea. Those 5th gen CPUs overclock like mad, and you could probably get something like 4.5GHz out of it (if you have a half decent cooler). But like I said earlier, if you are not able to OC this CPU, any of the cheap 6 cores for that motherboard are a great idea, like the 5820K and 6800K.

1 minute ago, haral said:

that beeing said, i know how to build the computer, but i am generally not that good software wise, so i have never overclocked anything before.

There should be many YouTube guides for MSI motherboards that you can follow. You could look up your motherboard or any X99 MSI board for info. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

In high refresh rates you actually would, but anything 120fps/hz or below is gonna be fine. I just sent away my 5820K, but that served me damn well, on a 5960X now. Can confirm they have no issues running modern titles once you get them to 4.2GHz or so, and even super shitty bins can usually hit 4.0-4.2 just fine. It's still a very solid platform, only place it really lags behind newer stuff for general use is typically less M.2 support (though newer boards will still have one PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 slot), and the IMC is meh if you're into OCing RAM. 

Just now, haral said:

You might be able to, feel free to hop into the HEDT thread linked in my signature, I know we have some bois there who run the Xeons. I've only run i7s so far, IIRC the 16xx v3 CPUs can be overclocked, but only a certain SKU and above, off the top of my head it's the 1650 and higher. 

As for actually overclocking them, it's not really hard at all. This isn't a balancing act like X58 or something, it's a pretty modern setup. Boils down to the usual up the multi, up the voltage, stability test method same as any other system now. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, Ramrod126 said:

Even though the difference might be small everything I seeing says the 7700k is faster.

The 7700k is faster. What I said was that there's no appreciable difference, meaning that the difference is so small that OP should stick with the current board and go for more cores (there are some games where a 6 core will definitely beat a quad core very noticably)

Primary PC:

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

The 7700k is faster. What I said was that there's no appreciable difference, meaning that the difference is so small that OP should stick with the current board and go for more cores (there are some games where a 6 core will definitely beat a quad core very noticably)

So the question that needs to be asked now is what type of games is haral playing.

5 minutes ago, Ramrod126 said:

So the question that needs to be asked now is what type of games is haral playing.

Does not matter unless the games are very heavily single core intensive and demand a very high IPC/clock on said single core or they're playing at a refresh rate higher than 120Hz. 

They already have the board so unless they meet those two conditions, just grabbing a 5820K (assuming the 28 PCIe lane limitation isn't an issue, which it is not for most people) for $120-130 and slapping it to 4.2-4.5 will be fine. 

Main PC 

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Does not matter unless the games are very heavily single core intensive and demand a very high IPC/clock on said single core or they're playing at a refresh rate higher than 120Hz. 

They already have the board so unless they meet those two conditions, just grabbing a 5820K (assuming the 28 PCIe lane limitation isn't an issue, which it is not for most people) for $120-130 and slapping it to 4.2-4.5 will be fine. 

I may not have that many posts, but I have been doing this stuff for 22 years. That being said I have also always tried to be to be top notch even if I was on a budget. At one time I had dual 8800gts with dual 19" NEC CRT monitors but only had 160GB of HDD space. I suppose I am a dinosaur of sorts. Sorry if I misinformed anyone.

10 minutes ago, Ramrod126 said:

a good mix i would say, these days its mostly apex legends.

but skyrim and fallout have been favoured for a long time.

so, a machine to handle both is the goal.

1 minute ago, Ramrod126 said:

I may not have that many posts, but I have been doing this stuff for 22 years. That being said I have also always tried to be to be top notch even if I was on a budget. At one time I had dual 8800gts with dual 19" NEC CRT monitors but only had 160GB of HDD space. I suppose I am a dinosaur of sorts. Sorry if I misinformed anyone.

your replies has  been very useful.

2 minutes ago, haral said:

a good mix i would say, these days its mostly apex legends.

but skyrim and fallout have been favoured for a long time.

so, a machine to handle both is the goal.

All those games should run super well on both the 7700K and the 5820k, but to be honest, they'll actually probably run fine on your current Xeon, maybe if you don't overclock. People have been able to get 144 fps with an i7-3770 in Apex legends, and Skyrim and fallout basically don't use almost any resources to run well.

Primary PC:

All those games should run super well on both the 7700K and the 5820k, but to be honest, they'll actually probably run fine on your current Xeon, maybe if you don't overclock. People have been able to get 144 fps with an i7-3770 in Apex legends, and Skyrim and fallout basically don't use almost any resources to run well.

i can see the cpu struggling while playing apex though.

and when benchmarking it, there is no doubt that the cpu is a bottleneck compared to the gpu at this point.

but maybe a decent new xeon would be fine.

any good xeon processor to recommend?.

dont think price, just good enough for the gpu or better.

no overkill necessary though.

i am not very good at this, thats why i asked for advice. most thankful for the amazing response to my thread so far. 

Just now, haral said:

any good xeon processor to recommend?.

The 1660 v3 has become more affordable, it's basically a low binned 5960X, with a solid cooler 4.0-4.2 all core should still be doable. 

Main PC 

16 minutes ago, haral said:

your replies has  been very useful.

I'm just going on gut feeling of what I would do. It may not be right for you but it is how I would proceed. Some of these guys make very good points on keeping your current motherboard. All I can say is google XXX cpu vs XXX cpu and make a more informed decision than I have so far been able to provide.