Single or Multi rail on corsair HX1000 psu

nathanl165
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

Multi rail is the default setting, just leave it on that and you shouldn't have any issues.

I am building a system with a 3950x and a asus crosshair VIII hero using a hx1000 corsair power supply. The graphics card is going to be a rtx 2080 ti straight from nvidia. I cant find anything helpful enough to figure out which option I should use. Rather not destroy a new pc. Please

15 minutes ago, nathanl165 said:

I cant find anything helpful enough to figure out which option I should use. Rather not destroy a new pc. Please

You haven't mentioned any options, but I assume you wanted to ask which PSU to buy. The HX1000 is a good PSU and will be sufficient for a 3950X and a 2080 Ti.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Multi rail is the default setting, just leave it on that and you shouldn't have any issues.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

16 hours ago, r2724r16 said:

You haven't mentioned any options, but I assume you wanted to ask which PSU to buy. The HX1000 is a good PSU and will be sufficient for a 3950X and a 2080 Ti.

The HX1000 is the psu that i have purchased. Im just trying to figure out if I should use it in Single or Multi rail mood. Most of what I've been hearing is to use multi rail though.

17 hours ago, nathanl165 said:

I am building a system with a 3950x and a asus crosshair VIII hero using a hx1000 corsair power supply. The graphics card is going to be a rtx 2080 ti straight from nvidia. I cant find anything helpful enough to figure out which option I should use. Rather not destroy a new pc. Please

HX1000 doesn't have the option to switch.

Unless you actually have an HX1000i.

If you have an HX1000i, leave it in multiple +12V rail mode unless for some weird reason your PSU shuts down under heavy load (which is highly unlikely).

Neither option will "destroy a new PC" unless YOU screw something up (use a wrong cable, use an adapter or extension, pinch a wire, etc.)

29 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

HX1000 doesn't have the option to switch.

Unless you actually have an HX1000i.

If you have an HX1000i, leave it in multiple +12V rail mode unless for some weird reason your PSU shuts down under heavy load (which is highly unlikely).

Neither option will "destroy a new PC" unless YOU screw something up (use a wrong cable, use an adapter or extension, pinch a wire, etc.)

The website actually shows the switch in the product photos. And it says in the listing that you can choose. 

Screenshot_20200315-141628_Chrome.png

Screenshot_20200315-141604_Chrome.png

24 minutes ago, nathanl165 said:

The website actually shows the switch in the product photos. And it says in the listing that you can choose. 

Oh... shoot. The mechanical switch.  DUH!

I forgot about it since most people never ask about it.  :D

Same rule applies:  Leave it in multiple +12V rail mode.

On 3/15/2020 at 2:44 PM, jonnyGURU said:

Oh... shoot. The mechanical switch.  DUH!

I forgot about it since most people never ask about it.  :D

Same rule applies:  Leave it in multiple +12V rail mode.

Gotcha gotcha. Thanks for the help!! Wasn't quite sure how to explain it