PC does not start up. Makes a whining noise when i turn the PSU on and wont start at all (GPU + fans dont spin.) HELPPPPP

I have a computer with the following specs:

- i5 6600k

- ASUS z170 Deluxe (MOBO)

- ASUS GTX 1060 3GB

- 16GB (4x4) HyperX Fury DDR4 Memory

- 1x1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK HDD

- 1x240GB HyperX Fury SSD

- Corsair CX500M 500W PSU

- 5xNewly installed UpHere RGB Case fans (from Amazon)

Issue Description:

(I should note: This issue started when i moved my custom built Pc from its original PowerMac G5 case into a new black glass side panel case with lots of fan mounts so i can sell on ebay - so the parts in the PC have worked really well together for the last 2 years until now). The problem i have is when the power supply is connected to all the correct sockets on the motherboard, I turn the PSU on using the built-in power switch, then there is a reasonably audible whining/buzzing noise coming from inside the computer. I removed the GPU to see if the sound was still there (it was) and therefore i dont believe it is the GPU. However, i tested the PSU on another system to see whether the PSU was broken and that was all working too. I then tested the 5 RGB case fans and they all worked too (however i never managed to get them to work with this system because the current issue arose before i got the chance.). im guessing the issue is either the CPU or the motherboard - as i dont have another spare new enough system, there is no way for me to test components individually. I also cannot afford to buy a new system or just throw away any parts that might still be working. HELPPPPPPP

7 minutes ago, CJHP said:

I have a computer with the following specs:

- i5 6600k

- ASUS z170 Deluxe (MOBO)

- ASUS GTX 1060 3GB

- 16GB (4x4) HyperX Fury DDR4 Memory

- 1x1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK HDD

- 1x240GB HyperX Fury SSD

- Corsair CX500M 500W PSU

- 5xNewly installed UpHere RGB Case fans (from Amazon)

Issue Description:

(I should note: This issue started when i moved my custom built Pc from its original PowerMac G5 case into a new black glass side panel case with lots of fan mounts so i can sell on ebay - so the parts in the PC have worked really well together for the last 2 years until now). The problem i have is when the power supply is connected to all the correct sockets on the motherboard, I turn the PSU on using the built-in power switch, then there is a reasonably audible whining/buzzing noise coming from inside the computer. I removed the GPU to see if the sound was still there (it was) and therefore i dont believe it is the GPU. However, i tested the PSU on another system to see whether the PSU was broken and that was all working too. I then tested the 5 RGB case fans and they all worked too (however i never managed to get them to work with this system because the current issue arose before i got the chance.). im guessing the issue is either the CPU or the motherboard - as i dont have another spare new enough system, there is no way for me to test components individually. I also cannot afford to buy a new system or just throw away any parts that might still be working. HELPPPPPPP

• Find out if it is the CPU cooling fan
  • You'll need to find out if it is one or multiple RGB cooling fans -- could be defective, shorting, etc.
  • GPU fan might not spin up if it one of those video cards with the "0dB" or "Zero Fan" feature

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

What would be wrong with the cooling fan for example? Just curious.

I have tested all 5 of the RGB fans (they are the kind that plug into a hub and that hub is powered by a 4 pin molex connector). All 5 fans work and the RGB lights work perfectly. I never ended up testing the whether the fans worked in that system because the issue arose before i had the chance. 

This computer was built in another case originally and the entire mission i was attempting was to move the exact same components from 1 computer case to another (with the exception of the new fans i bought for the new case which like i said never ended up being tested because the problem arose before that point.)

Thank you for the reply are there any other ideas for what the issue might be?

Time to start pulling bits. Set the just the PSU, MB, GPU and boot drive up on a box out side of the case. Power on the PSU and if something starts "whining/buzzing" pin point exactly what it is, and then power it off. If no "whining/buzzing" then jump the power pins on the MB and see if it posts. While the MB is out of the case have a look to see if there are any stand-offs or other metal bits that could be shorting the MB to the case.

I’ve tried to start up the motherboard outside the case and it’s still making a whining noise. It seems to be from the lower half of the motherboard, but it’s difficult to figure out exactly where. The motherboard doesn’t show any signs of life with or without the GPU installed too. So it’s not a GPU problem. I also changed the cpu cooler to the intel stock cooler in case there was something wrong with the cooler master hyper 212 I had installed. Any other ideas?