Home NAS and Router(VPN)

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
5 minutes ago, Stin6667 said:

( 1st thanks for all the help) Okay so can I use btrfs with proxmox? Cause It sounds like a combination of the two would be ideal for what Im going for.

Are there any costs associated with either on?

yea you can use btrfs in proxmox, I think you have to make it in the cli though, but you can easily find the commands to make the filesystem online.

Proxmox is free.

HI

At the moment in the house each computer has at least a 512GB SSD and a 2TB for storage. and then We have a 6TB for mass storage. I want to make things more simple and streamlined. I also saw Level 1's(youtube) video about making your own router and what he showed peaked my interest and wanted to give that a try. So I want to merge both Ideas.

( just want to say I am a complete noob when it comes to networking, but this is my 1st project so I can learn)

What I am thinking of using:

An old workstation

-i5 2400 4 cores 4 threads, 3x 4X pie, 1x 16X

- 4 Sata ports ( one is a cd drive, because of my work we still need those... So when I need one. it is there)

-(adding) 3 10tb HDD ( 2 in the beginning and one more later)

-(adding) 6 port RJ45 2.5Gb pie nic ( the house only has cat 5e, and I can not install new cabling)

-(adding) wifi 6 or lower card

-(adding) M.2 to Pie card( hopefully dual) ( as a cache) 

-(adding) Sata M.2 2x 512gb or 2x 256gb

Software I am thinking of using:

Pfsence

FreeNas with btfs or Zfs

Kodi/plex

So the way I thing I am going to set it up:

1) Using FreeNas I will create 2 systems 1 for the NAS and 1 for the router.

- free nas will get 4 threads/cores 

-  The router will get 4 threads/cores

2) I will passthrough everything from the router to the NAS for the networking.

3) On the network I will make different folders for the different things I need. ie Document, Movies, Songs etc

This is as far  as I have gotten. 

Can this be done?

Am I on the right track? Any hints. 

Anything I should be aware of? etc Any help will be much appreciated. The cheaper this can be the better (wife).

Thanks

J

why so many network ports? Id just get a single 10gb ports and have a switch with vlans.

Don't add wifi, get a wifi ap for that.

You probably want a better hypervisor like proxmox, freenas isn't a good hypervisor.

Also how do you play to manage storage, zfs isn't very good at adding that 3rd drive later on.

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

why so many network ports? 

2 computers in the house

PIe

Ps3 

Xbox 360

And one spare for anything else in the future

Just now, Stin6667 said:

2 computers in the house

PIe

Ps3 

Xbox 360

And one spare for anything else in the future

but get a network switch for all of those ports. No reason to have a router with all of those ports.

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

how do you play to manage storage

Well, I was thinking of using btfs with rade 10. Bust still not sure. Still learning and seeing what will be a good fit

10 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

proxmox,

I have heard of this but can you please refresh my memory... thanks

Just now, Stin6667 said:

Well, I was thinking of using btfs with rade 10. Bust still not sure. Still learning and seeing what will be a good fit

well raid 10 needs 4 drives, but with raid 1 you would get the full space on 3 drives.

But thats linux only, and you lised freenas, which is zfs only.

1 minute ago, Stin6667 said:

I have heard of this but can you please refresh my memory... thanks

Its a linux based hypervisor. Good for running vms, so make a vm for the router, and then plex, and then storage. Pretty good for this use case.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

but get a network switch for all of those ports. No reason to have a router with all of those ports.

Okay as small one is a good idea. thanks!

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

well raid 10 needs 4 drives, but with raid 1 you would get the full space on 3 drives.

But thats linux only, and you lised freenas, which is zfs only.

Its a linux based hypervisor. Good for running vms, so make a vm for the router, and then plex, and then storage. Pretty good for this use case.

So making this a Linux based set up will make it easier to do and fit better with with I want to do? Do I need to know alot of coding? ( my exp on Linux is just pop os for a short time)

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

but with raid 1 you would get the full space on 3 drives.

But there won't be much redundancy would there? Also would it be possible to add in drives as and when I need to? Also, I am assuming all the same sizes for each drive

2 minutes ago, Stin6667 said:

So making this a Linux based set up will make it easier to do and fit better with with I want to do? Do I need to know alot of coding? ( my exp on Linux is just pop os for a short time)

Freenas isn't a great hypervisor, so you probably don't want to use that if you want vms for things like a router.

You can use proxmox basically all in a browser, so you don't need to know linux commands.

Just now, Stin6667 said:

But there won't be much redundancy would there? Also would it be possible to add in drives as and when I need to? Also, I am assuming all the same sizes for each drive

Btrfs lets you mix and match drive sizes with reduncancy. Look at the space calculator. https://www.carfax.org.uk/btrfs-usage/

You can also easily add drives to a btrfs array.

Freenas isn't a great hypervisor, so you probably don't want to use that if you want vms for things like a router.

You can use proxmox basically all in a browser, so you don't need to know linux commands.

Btrfs lets you mix and match drive sizes with reduncancy. Look at the space calculator. https://www.carfax.org.uk/btrfs-usage/

You can also easily add drives to a btrfs array.

( 1st thanks for all the help) Okay so can I use btrfs with proxmox? Cause It sounds like a combination of the two would be ideal for what Im going for.

5 minutes ago, Stin6667 said:

yea you can use btrfs in proxmox, I think you have to make it in the cli though, but you can easily find the commands to make the filesystem online.

Proxmox is free.

Proxmox is free.

Thanks for all the help!