Dying motherboard or something else

Dr0y

I decided to make a new thread cause I would need some help diagnosing.

So I got that used system for quite cheap.

I5 6600k

msi z170-a pro

16 gb of kingston value ram

thermaltake smart 600W

I'm using the integrated gpu for now, old ps2 keyboard and usb mouse.

So I installed the nh-l12s cooler i bought for it.  Installation was quite easy and everything fits great.  Temps at idle are around 30C and I couldn't stress test the pc.  I have some weird stuff happening like the wired internet connection not working at all and some random freezing when I try to access settings and other software like cinebench.  Boot time are good and as expected for a sata ssd but shut down times are awful, can take around 3 to 5 minutes to shut down.  I can access the bios which I did restore to default and made sure to check if the onboard lan is enable. The two ram stick are showing in bios and everything seems normal as far as I can tell.

I read that too much mounting pressure can cause some problems on early lga 1151.  Is that those kind of problems or it's just a sign that the motherboard is dying.  Can those random crashes be caused by the system always looking for an internet connection and crashing cause it doesn't find one.  I don't have anything on hand to provide a wireless internet connection for now.  I'll try to get a dongle soon. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

If the system can't find an internet connection, then it'll function offline. There's something else going on besides not having internet.

Have you tried resting the heatsink on the CPU, without any mounting pressure at all, just with gravity and thermal compound?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

If the system can't find an internet connection, then it'll function offline. There's something else going on besides not having internet.

Have you tried resting the heatsink on the CPU, without any mounting pressure at all, just with gravity and thermal compound?

Not yet, I wanted some advice before doing anything.  I'll try that when gf wakes up and I can make some noise/swearing.  I'll probably remove the cpu and check the socket if I can spot any damaged pin. 

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

Is the SSD brand new? The long shutdown time and random freezing could be explained by a failing SSD. What @Crunchy Dragon suggested is a great first step, if it alleviates the issue don't bother with my recommendation, if it doesn't I recommend you run Memtest86 on your memory and also run an HDTune on the SSD. If either show errors I'd recommend replacing. Also make sure your motherboard bios is up to date if it is not already.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

4 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Is the SSD brand new? The long shutdown time and random freezing could be explained by a failing SSD. What @Crunchy Dragon suggested is a great first step, if it alleviates the issue don't bother with my recommendation, if it doesn't I recommend you run Memtest86 on your memory and also run an HDTune on the SSD. If either show errors I'd recommend replacing. Also make sure your motherboard bios is up to date if it is not already.

Ssd is a couple months old, under a year.  It's an hp m700 120 gb that I used while waiting to get a 1tb.  I now use it to test computers.  HW info report 100% life on the ssd. 

I'll try to see if I can find memtest86 with another computer and install it on the ssd to test on the i5 6600k

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

Check if there's any SMART error on the drive using CrystalDiskInfo or GSmartControl and you can run either a quick Windows Memory Diagnostic or Memtest86. 

8 minutes ago, Dr0y said:

Not yet, I wanted some advice before doing anything.  I'll try that when gf wakes up and I can make some noise/swearing.  I'll probably remove the cpu and check the socket if I can spot any damaged pin. 

If the system is booting and detecting everything with a damaged pin, that pin probably doesn't matter anyway. I'm not discouraging you from checking by any means, obviously go for it, but I'd be surprised if a damage socket was the cause of your issues.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Dr0y said:

I'll try to see if I can find memtest86 with another computer and install it on the ssd to test on the i5 6600k

Memtest86 is a bootable utility you need to create a bootable usb drive using their tool or Rufus and boot on the usb stick. 

7 hours ago, Viper9 said:

Check if there's any SMART error on the drive using CrystalDiskInfo or GSmartControl and you can run either a quick Windows Memory Diagnostic or Memtest86. 

I've checked the ssd using aomei partition assistant and it doesn't detect any bad sector.   Also it works great on 2 other pc that I tested today.

I've created an usb boot drive of memtest86 and did the 4 pass suit of test.  No errors at all. 

I've rebooted and still no access to internet and it still takes forever to shut down ... well don't shut down at all ... nothing surprising there. 

I've noticed that a capacitor decided to leak and that the small chip beside have some burnt mark.  Not sure if it's completely related but it certainly doesn't help.  Or maybe it's not related at all and it will bring some other problems I've yet to discover. 

20200311_104440.thumb.jpg.3296905f602c2e1608e2ea0b99519317.jpg20200311_104455.thumb.jpg.f44fd29b3a582ebdf44c03966644c054.jpg

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

This does not look good. You'll need to replace the electrolytic cap at least, the one with the burn-mark should be a capacitor as well, a ceramic one, which may still be fine.

6 hours ago, Sir0Tek said:

This does not look good. You'll need to replace the electrolytic cap at least, the one with the burn-mark should be a capacitor as well, a ceramic one, which may still be fine.

Could all the problems come from that single cap or it still might be something else ? ...

I really don't know how much it would cost to replace that and if the mobo still gives me some issues after maybe it's not worth it ... I should probably try to find another one or just sell the cpu and ram

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

So after close inspection of the motherboard with a good light it appears that there's some corrosion and gunk in a lot of places on the bottom of the board starting just under the first 16x pcie slot.  Next week when I'm off work we will try to clean it up.  I'll keep you posted. 

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd