Hey guys, im planning to build a pc for gaming.

I want a strong enough pc but I'm on a budget, I would like my pc to be future proof so that I can upgrade to a ryzen 7 3rd gen in the future.

My current specs list is

Ryzen 5 3600

Inno3d GTX 1650 super

16 gb ddr4 3200mhz (8×2)

Corsair Vs450

Wd green 240gb m.2 ssd

Ant eSports pc case

For the motherboard I'm confused as to which b450 board I should get.

Im currently confused between the 

Msi b450 tomahawk max, msi b450m pro vdh max, gigabyte b450m ds3h, Asrock b450 steel legend or the gigabyte b450 aurus elite.

Please help me decide. Also if you think I need some changes in my build please go ahead and leave your suggestions as this is going to be my first pc build :)

Thanks in advance

I have the AsRock B450 Steel Legend, and it works great. It's cheaper than the MSI option, and it has excellent RGB for the price. Some people compain about AsRock's RGB software, but I think it's fine. The other motherboards don't come compatible with 3rd generation Ryzen CPUs out of the box, so you would have to do a BIOS update to get it to work with your CPU, which can't be done without a compatible CPU (at least easily). If you want the Ryzen 5 3600, your options are the MSI Tomahawk Max or the B450 Steel Legend, and between the two I would highly recommend the AsRock B450 Steel Legend. However, if you want to get the Gigabyte option, you could get a Ryzen 7 2700x, which has pretty much the same specs as a Ryzen 5 3600 and costs a bit less too.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

2 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

I have the AsRock B450 Steel Legend, and it works great. It's cheaper than the MSI option, and it has excellent RGB for the price. Some people compain about AsRock's RGB software, but I think it's fine. The other motherboards don't come compatible with 3rd generation Ryzen CPUs out of the box, so you would have to do a BIOS update to get it to work with your CPU, which can't be done without a compatible CPU (at least easily). If you want the Ryzen 5 3600, I would highly recommend the AsRock B450 Steel Legend. However, if you want to get the Gigabyte option, you could get a Ryzen 7 2700x, which has pretty much the same specs as a 5 3600 and costs a bit less too.

Actually the max version boards are Ryzen 3000 compatible out of the box. The non-max versions are not though.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Actually the max version boards are Ryzen 3000 compatible out of the box. The non-max versions are not though.

I edited that for clarity. I am aware that the MSI Tomahawk max is as well.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

Just now, WaggishOhio383 said:

I edited that for clarity. I am aware that the MSI Tomahawk max is as well.

Ah, missed the edit :) 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

I have the AsRock B450 Steel Legend, and it works great. It's cheaper than the MSI option, and it has excellent RGB for the price. Some people compain about AsRock's RGB software, but I think it's fine. The other motherboards don't come compatible with 3rd generation Ryzen CPUs out of the box, so you would have to do a BIOS update to get it to work with your CPU, which can't be done without a compatible CPU (at least easily). If you want the Ryzen 5 3600, I would highly recommend the AsRock B450 Steel Legend. However, if you want to get the Gigabyte option, you could get a Ryzen 7 2700x, which has pretty much the same specs as a 5 3600 and costs a bit less too.

Thanks for your review. I honestly do not care about the RGB but having it would be great. For me the ryzen 7 2700 is a little more expensive then the ryzen 5 3600. As for the ryzen 3rd gen support out of the box, the msi tomahawk max has it as well. Which cpu are you using and will the Asrock board be good enough for a ryzen 7 3rd gen upgrade ahead in the future?

Just now, PostMelone said:

Which cpu are you using and will the Asrock board be good enough for a ryzen 7 3rd gen upgrade ahead in the future?

I am using the Ryzen 7 2700x, but I see no reason why the board wouldn't work fine for a 3rd gen Ryzen 7

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

I am using the Ryzen 7 2700x, but I see no reason why the board wouldn't work fine for a 3rd gen Ryzen 7

Oh nice, thanks for clarifying. I just want it to be future proof so that I won't have to upgrade my mobo in the future. Also the Asrock board is 33 USD cheaper than the tomahawk max so that helps. Is there any major difference between the micro ATX and ATX version of the steel legends board? And for the rest of my build everything seems fine right? 

Just now, PostMelone said:

Is there any major difference between the micro ATX and ATX version of the steel legends board? And for the rest of my build everything seems fine right? 

The only real difference between the two is that the micro ATX only has room for one graphics card, so you won't be able to add a second one if you want to down the line. I just went ahead and got the full ATX because my case could fit it, and I wanted the flexibility. Everything else in your build looks good to me.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

The only real difference between the two is that the micro ATX only has room for one graphics card, so you won't be able to add a second one if you want to down the line. I just went ahead and got the full ATX because my case could fit it, and I wanted the flexibility. Everything else in your build looks good to me.

Alright cool. Thanks once again! 

38 minutes ago, PostMelone said:

Hey guys, im planning to build a pc for gaming.

I want a strong enough pc but I'm on a budget, I would like my pc to be future proof so that I can upgrade to a ryzen 7 3rd gen in the future.

My current specs list is

Ryzen 5 3600

Inno3d GTX 1650 super

16 gb ddr4 3200mhz (8×2)

Corsair Vs450

Wd green 240gb m.2 ssd

Ant eSports pc case

For the motherboard I'm confused as to which b450 board I should get.

Im currently confused between the 

Msi b450 tomahawk max, msi b450m pro vdh max, gigabyte b450m ds3h, Asrock b450 steel legend or the gigabyte b450 aurus elite.

Please help me decide. Also if you think I need some changes in my build please go ahead and leave your suggestions as this is going to be my first pc build :)

Thanks in advance

I recently built a new system with an Asus b450-f I have had no issues with it and it supports Ryzen 3000 out of the box. You can get it on sale for roughly $100. If you want to spend more on your Motherboard, I would get a Ryzen 7 2700 because it has 2 more cores, and it performs just as well in games. btw you need a graphics card as the Ryzen processors don't have integrated graphics like Intel chips (the only Ryzen chips with integrated graphics are the Ryzen 3 3200g and the 3400g) but both run pretty hot with a stock cooler. 

1 minute ago, Dudley900 said:

I recently built a new system with an Asus b450-f I have had no issues with it.

This board wouldn't work with a 3rd gen Ryzen CPU, and OP already specified they don't want a Ryzen 7 2700x because it is more expensive where they live.

2 minutes ago, Dudley900 said:

btw you need a graphics card

The build does have a graphics card already. That's what the Inno3d GTX 1650 super is.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

This board wouldn't work with a 3rd gen Ryzen CPU, and OP already specified they don't want a Ryzen 7 2700x because it is more expensive where they live.

The build does have a graphics card already. That's what the Inno3d GTX 1650 super is.

I just edited it as I forgot to mention it has out of the box Ryzen 3000 support.

2 minutes ago, Dudley900 said:

just edited it as I forgot to mention it has out of the box Ryzen 3000 support.

Does it really? I've heard conflicting things as to whether it does or not. Either way, it's still around $20 more than the AsRock B450 Steel Legend, which makes the Steel Legend a better deal in my opinion

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

24 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

also, SLI and Crossfire are both practically dead due to bad scaling in games.

Does it really? I've heard conflicting things as to whether it does or not. Either way, it's still around $20 more than the AsRock B450 Steel Legend, which makes the Steel Legend a better deal in my opinion

well, it said on the box...

Just now, Dudley900 said:

I also mentioned I got it on sale

I also mentioned I got it on sale

Yeah, but it isn't on sale right now unfortunately. As far as the compatibility, maybe they've updated it. The picture of the box on Amazon right now doesn't show the 3rd gen compatibility label for whatever reason.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

Yeah, but it isn't on sale right now unfortunately. As far as the compatibility, maybe they've updated it. The picture of the box on Amazon right now doesn't show the 3rd gen compatibility label for whatever reason.

alright well maybe they didn't update it or it is an older version here is what my box said...

IMG_1561.JPG

3 hours ago, Dudley900 said:

I recently built a new system with an Asus b450-f I have had no issues with it and it supports Ryzen 3000 out of the box. You can get it on sale for roughly $100. If you want to spend more on your Motherboard, I would get a Ryzen 7 2700 because it has 2 more cores, and it performs just as well in games. btw you need a graphics card as the Ryzen processors don't have integrated graphics like Intel chips (the only Ryzen chips with integrated graphics are the Ryzen 3 3200g and the 3400g) but both run pretty hot with a stock cooler. 

I do not want to spend a lot on the motherboard, the max I would pay is 10.5k INR (139 USD) for the tomahawk. I just want a Mobo with good VRMs for future upgrades to a ryzen 7 3rd gen without changing the Mobo. The asus b450f motherboard which you mentioned is for 11.5k INR (155 USD) while the Asrock steel legend is for 8.6k INR (115 USD). 

Talking about the processor I'm kinda considering the R7 2700 as well now because both of you have recommended it to me. The price difference between the ryzen 5 3600 and ryzen 7 2700 is 17 USD. I don't know if I should choose it over the 3600 or no for that price. Which processor are you using btw?