Upgrading/renewing my gaming sound setup

jinxcat

First things first: this is a setup for a gaming pc. I have a flexible but not unlimited budget and I care for value for money.

My current setup is Fostex T50RP with a ModMic. I like listening to music on those headphones, and I like how immersive the sound can be in games, but I don't think it has ever helped me "hear those footsteps around the corner".

I am looking at the Sennheiser HD6XX and HD660S, mostly for people's reviews on them having a really good soundstage. I will be keeping the ModMic I have.

I do care about getting surround sound, IF that does not impact the total quality of sound that I will be getting in my ears.

The options I am currently considering to accompany the Sennheisers:

- Schiit Fulla 3

- Schiit Hel

- Sennheiser GSX 1000 (that "kill everything but the treble" option seems interesting for gaming, but I doubt it will power the H6XXs, and also have doubts on the total sound quality)

- Some Creative sound blaster product out of the many out there, that I have no idea if they are actually better than the GSX..?

Really open to suggestions/comments, thank you in advance :)

I am not really closer in deciding what to pick :/

And to add to the indecision, I am not sure what cables I should be picking for the headphones

1 hour ago, jinxcat said:

I am not really closer in deciding what to pick :/

And to add to the indecision, I am not sure what cables I should be picking for the headphones

I can vouch for Creative stuff, I actually quite like my AE-9 compared to my "proper" headphone setup.

For cables, just get something slightly above the absolute cheapest. If you do get the HD6XX or HD660S, then the cable that comes with them is all you need, unless you move to balanced.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)