FreeNAS and Windows7 on the same mashine?

3Dgeo

Hello,

I have DIY FreeNAS with these specs:
Intel Pentium G4560
8GB non ECC memory (I know I'm a bit short on RAM, deal with it)

32GB USB for NAS OS

3*3TB for data

I would like to make this NAS as my low end windows7 machine as well (for Arduino programing, WEB surfing, retro gaming), but I don't know what is the best way.
Originally my idea was to create VM on FreeNAS for that (I'm not familiar with VMs), but it seems that the only way to use VM is by remote connection, I don't think this is what I need.

I have also an external low end graphic card for win7, I want to use this VM as regular PC by plugging keyboard, mouse, monitor and so on...
Should I have to install windows on it and use some sort of NAS software in windows themselves and keep it always on?

I need advice...

Also I'm considering ditching this setup entirely and using dedicated low power server stuff, but the question remains, how to make it to work as a network NAS and as a regular Win7 machine at the same time?

Thanx in advance.

You can run Windows in a Bhyve VM on FreeNAS but they experience would be awful for any relatively advanced function.

If you want to virtualize Windows I think your best option would be to forget FreeNAS. Install PROXMOX or Debian+ZFS+QEMU. The host would handle ZFS and QEMU with GPU pass-though would give you a decent experience with your Windows VM.

Well, this is the question, do you want to run the NAS 24/7 and just access windows infrequently, but concurrently?

This is complicated by the fact that you have low RAM and only a dual core CPU... it would not be a pleasant experience most of the time IMO.

If however you don't need them to run concurrently, then you could dual boot, basically just by installing a small SSD to run windows on. So you'd basically unplug the USB that freenas runs off, and boot into the SSD for windows. You will NOT however be able to access the data on the freenas HDDs.

Then when you're done, plug the USB back in and restart the machine. You might have to F11 and select boot device each time you swap.

[edit] I think @Windows7ge's way is better personally.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

I want both to run 24/7.
@Windows7ge define "decent experience" :D
So there is no lazy solution to do what I want... I'm so not in to spending all time require to understand how to make it work with Debian+ZFS+QEMU... I'm not a linux person.

13 minutes ago, 3Dgeo said:

I want both to run 24/7.
@Windows7ge define "decent experience" :D
So there is no lazy solution to do what I want... I'm so not in to spending all time require to understand how to make it work with Debian+ZFS+QEMU... I'm not a linux person.

Without passing a GPU to the VM the CPU has to render the graphics. This will result in very low FPS and constant choppiness.

And no, there's quite a bit of setup involved to get something like this running right.

Thank You for Your input.
What if I use Linux based PC instead of WIN7, I bet I can do easily what I want in linux + as I understand I can use ZFS to make it as a NAS, will that do the job?
Otherwise I can get low power dedicated mini server MOBO with hardware RAID capability and just share that RAID drive via Win7 LAN, tho I have to use RAID5 or 6 for that instead of ZFS. Plus I will get "regular" win 7 PC for my other stuff... Also I guess if MOBO dies I will end up in a pickle... I love how FreeNAS lets you just swap mobos with no issues (I have to do this once already).
Any thoughts on this?

P.S. originally I was using this MOBO but it started misbehave:
2000823663.jpeg

If I'm understanding what it is you're looking to do here I'd make a mix between two tutorials I've made here:

If you take parts out of each of these this would enable you to have a very near bare metal performance Windows VM while keeping Linux as the host running ZFS. This would then also be able to be setup with SAMBA to host your files on the network.

Let me know if I've missed the ball as to what your goal is here.