Project: THIS MUCH OVERKILL, WHY?

JapanDave

Welcome to the the Why so much Over Kill build Log: My first Hard tube water cooling attempt.

Well, finally I can say I have everything working, thanks to the many experts here on this forum as this is my first build in 8 years.

Firstly, my parts list.

AORUS XTREME

ThreadRipper 3970x

MSI Sea Hawk RTX 2080 Ti x 2

G.Skill Royal Trident 256GB

4 x AORUS 2TB NVMe

Thermaltake Core P7

Thermaltake RGB PSU 1250w

EKWB and Thermaltake water cooling parts

I am still waiting on GPU as the place I bought it from says it will arrive in mid April.

OK, so I am guessing a few of you guys may already know this, but I went through a bit to get to here. Five motherboards, two CPU's, four aluminum Radiators,  one set of 126Gb of RAM, one set of 256Gb RAM and a lot of beer later I am finally able to say I have a stable system. I would hate to include all the wasted parts in this build, but I will leave it as is.

This build for some reason escalated to a full on hard core build as I destroyed MOBO's and ordered while the BEER was flowing.

So, here goes, the timeline of my build.

MOBO No 1, ROG Strix X570-E Gaming: This MOBO was a causality a un-tightened hard tubing fitting and spurted coolant on the board which caused booting issues.

583875360_2020-01-1719_42_15.thumb.jpg.9f4e6adf9b4641c1f3d32268acebdd1d.jpg

MOBO No 2, ROG Crosshair VIII Formula, MOBO cost escalating.

This MOBO was an unfortunate issue with over tightening a fitting on the V-RAM water cooler, even though I tightened the fitting with my fingers.

179537898_2020-02-0812_17_23.thumb.jpg.949ce59505dd137c8f2068ea3231136c.jpg

MOBO No 3, ROG Zenith II Extreme | Motherboards | ASUS Global. Decided to go all out and go ThreadRipper.

Problem was that I could only get half the 128Gb G.Skill memory I had bought to work. So I bought another MOBO.

MOBO No 4, ROG Zenith II Extreme | Motherboards | ASUS Global

I decided it must be the RAM so I went ahead and bought 256Gb of G.Skill Royal Trident 256Gb of RAM and I was able to get 192Gb of RAM to show, plus I was getting issues overclocking of the RAM and really bad bench test scores. So I said F**k it and went with the AORUS XTREME MOBO to see if this would change anything.

MOBO No 5, TRX40 AORUS XTREME (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE 

So, initially it would not post, even after many attempts with many RAM sticks tried. Had some beer as I thought I was screwed again and low and behold it posted. Added the RAM one stick at a time and what do you know, I was able to get all RAM registered. Install Windows and all necessary drivers (Which BTW was much better than the ASUS experience). I was then able to OC the RAM and run some bench marks which well exceed anything I was able to get previously.

Anyway, I did not plan on build log so I only have half finished pics and vids.

25 minutes ago, JapanDave said:

Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower iRGB PLUS 1250 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($449.99 @ Amazon) 

imma just stop by to say: im sad this much money have been spent on a PSU, and its not a flextronics. so its overkill on the price, but not overkill on the actuall PSU.

otherwise looks like a great overkill build. 

36 minutes ago, JapanDave said:

Total: $21435.83

My Ferrari 308GT4 costs less to buy than that...

What do you plan on doing with this system anyway?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

My Ferrari 308GT4 costs less to buy than that...

What do you plan on doing with this system anyway?

Mainly Excel and Word. Maybe same Solitaire.

Just now, GoldenLag said:

imma just stop by to say: im sad this much money have been spent on a PSU, and its not a flextronics. so its overkill on the price, but not overkill on the actuall PSU.

otherwise looks like a great overkill build. 

I was disappointed to know that the RGB fan does not work unless on overload.

12 minutes ago, JapanDave said:

I was disappointed to know that the RGB fan does not work unless on overload.

i mean, if you have the chance, the flextronics made AXI1600 from Corsair is waiting for you. 

doesnt get any more bragging rights in the PSU community. 

i mean, if you have the chance, the flextronics made AXI1600 from Corsair is waiting for you. 

doesnt get any more bragging rights in the PSU community. 

Entirely possible, since I have replaced just about everything else. I have enough parts to build another 3 PC's.

Just now, JapanDave said:

Entirely possible, since I have replaced just about everything else. I have enough parts to build another 3 PC's.

i mean id return the thermaltake PSU. 

because there are so many very, very good PSUs you could have for the money. 

like Deltas or flextronics. 

i mean id return the thermaltake PSU. 

because there are so many very, very good PSUs you could have for the money. 

like Deltas or flextronics. 

Why return it when you could have it for a unit to run leaks tests!!! An expensive one at that.....

Just now, JapanDave said:

Why return it when you could have it for a unit to run leaks tests!!! An expensive one at that.....

i mean, sure. why not. 

while you are at it, pick up a secondary Delta GM for good measure. (dont)

/s

i mean, sure. why not. 

while you are at it, pick up a secondary Delta GM for good measure. (dont)

/s

Not a bad idea.....

4 minutes ago, JapanDave said:

Not a bad idea.....

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ZrZFf7

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yZL7YJ

change wattage on the left. 

totally unneccesary offcourse, but like. if you are gonna spend 430$ on a PSU. you might aswell actually get the best PSU on the consumer market. the AXi1600

47 minutes ago, JapanDave said:

Are prices in Japan for bad for a waterblocked 2080 Ti? ($2.7k, assumed USD) sounds excessive for me who lives in the EU. 

Can you still move the case panels? that would be cool to do with rotary fittings so that you could still move the left and right side parts of the chassis. 

Hope what appears to be red stain from your previous coolant makes it out over time.

Just now, For Science! said:

Are prices in Japan for bad for a waterblocked 2080 Ti? ($2.7k, assumed USD) sounds excessive for me who lives in the EU. 

Can you still move the case panels? that would be cool to do with rotary fittings so that you could still move the left and right side parts of the chassis. 

Hope what appears to be red stain from your previous coolant makes it out over time.

Things are just expensive here.

What stains are you talking about?

1 hour ago, JapanDave said:

Things are just expensive here.

What stains are you talking about?

The reservoir carries a pinkish/redish hue, also the specs in this top left bend.

774588607_2020-03-0919_45_52.jpg.91111ccda0fcc5c690cc8b3761c76280.jpg

1 hour ago, For Science! said:

The reservoir carries a pinkish/redish hue, also the specs in this top left bend.

774588607_2020-03-0919_45_52.jpg.91111ccda0fcc5c690cc8b3761c76280.jpg

Thats b/c , I have not fully flushed the red coolant out completely.  You have a good eye!!!

20 hours ago, For Science! said:

BTW, here is the link to the Card I bought on Amazon Japan. 

RTX 2080 Ti SEA Hawk Ek X The Japan Yen price is 295,632 Yen, which works out to $2,700 or there abouts. Actually at today's rate it is $2,821, but I added the price conservatively. 

3 hours ago, JapanDave said:

-

Pretty rough, but did you have a particular reason preference for the Seahawk?

Looks like there's a Zotac waterblocked card for 184,045: Zotac 2080 Ti

or alternatively an MSI Trio Ccard for 164,444 MSI Trio and the corresponding waterblock for 24,618 Waterblock for MSI Trio

13 hours ago, For Science! said:

Pretty rough, but did you have a particular reason preference for the Seahawk?

Looks like there's a Zotac waterblocked card for 184,045: Zotac 2080 Ti

or alternatively an MSI Trio Ccard for 164,444 MSI Trio and the corresponding waterblock for 24,618 Waterblock for MSI Trio

Oh man. I knew I should have consulted with people here before I went ahead and bought my hardware. Thanks for the links BTW.