Potentially fried component(s)? Slight smell + won’t power on

theninja35
Go to solution Solved by Danioki,

F

Hi everybody, bad news. We have a mystery on our hands.

My computer just killed itself and I’m not sure in what way it did so. I was playing Planet Zoo and all of a sudden my graphics card fans shot to full speed. About half a second later, my computer shut off completely. I figured it was a power outage but it wasn’t, only my computer turned off. And now it won’t turn back on. I press the power switch and absolutely nothing moves.

Here’s what I’ve tried already: turning on/off power supply switch, plugging the cable into different wall sockets, checking for burnt/disconnected cables, and waiting some time then retrying to turn on the computer. Nothing has worked.

There was temporarily a slight smell that seemed to come from the graphics card, but it wasn’t very strong. I would say it smelled like burning plastic, but again it was quite a faint smell. I don’t smell anything from my PSU but I also don’t have a very good nose.

Here are my specs:

i5-4690k

Corsair Vengeance 16GB

MSI Gaming 5 Z97

EVGA GTX 1080 FTW (B-Stock rip)

EVGA G2 750

Crucial SSD, Samsung SSD, WD Blue 1TB

BIOS Version - unknown and obviously can’t check

Windows 10 64bit

I’ve had all of the components except the graphics card for about 5 years now. The graphics card will be 2 in July and I bought it B-Stock from EVGA so it’s no longer in warranty AFAIK. If you guys have any idea as to how I can fix this or figure out why my computer is misbehaving, that would be awesome. Thanks.

To recap: computer silently dies, I don’t know why, graphics card had a slight smell.

This whole GPU situation sounds bad.  If it’s an iGPU/apu system I might try pulling the graphics card entirely hook the monitor to the mobo and see if it works

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

try and test your system without the GPU, if it has integrated graphics or you have an spare GPU.

try and test only the PSU, disconnect everything, then bridge the green and any black pin, and then measure the voltages.

RIP GPU.

4 minutes ago, Danioki said:

try and test your system without the GPU, if it has integrated graphics or you have an spare GPU.

try and test only the PSU, disconnect everything, then bridge the green and any black pin, and then measure the voltages.

RIP GPU.

I just tested my power supply and it’s all good. Next test is the graphics card, I’ll have to see how it goes...I’m already preparing the gravestone.

1 minute ago, theninja35 said:

RIP GPU lol. I haven’t smelled a smell this bad since the clutch burned on my mom’s car...visible white smoke came out of my graphics card.

That does not sound good.  The 4690k should have hd4600 graphics in it.  Wondering if the thing boots with the monitor hooked up to that. More than one thing might have gone.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

13 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

That does not sound good.  The 4690k should have hd4600 graphics in it.  Wondering if the thing boots with the monitor hooked up to that. More than one thing might have gone.

No, it boots up just fine when the graphics card is unplugged. The graphics card is toast for sure but everything else seems to be in good shape. I’ve got a GTX 970 spare so I’ll use that until I can get something else.