Are Philips SHP9500 still worth getting?

DisplayName101

Hello World.

Currently, I've been thinking of upgrading my headphones, headset and whilst searching online for a good replacement I have stumbled upon Philips SHP9500 which had amazing reviews and were relatively cheap for an open-back headset. So I am wondering if any of you have these or have used them and are they worth getting + getting a cheap external USB mic or is it better to just get a gaming headset. Also, I am trying to get into streaming which is the reason for a mic.

Thanks in advance for any help.

3 minutes ago, DisplayName101 said:

Hello World.

Currently, I've been thinking of upgrading my headphones, headset and whilst searching online for a good replacement I have stumbled upon Philips SHP9500 which had amazing reviews and were relatively cheap for an open-back headset. So I am wondering if any of you have these or have used them and are they worth getting + getting a cheap external USB mic or is it better to just get a gaming headset. Also, I am trying to get into streaming which is the reason for a mic.

its better than getting most gaming headsets but IMO they are very much over rated and came out at a time before massdrop was big and china became big. there are defnitely headsets in the market that I much prefer to use over these. like the sennheiser pc 37x, the cooler master mh 752 which is a takstar pro 82 with a mic on it.   my issue with the shp 9500s come from tuning they are neutral bright headphone. there is nothing fun about them and they have a decent amount of grain. the technical abilities it has for the price is good value but they are honestly not a fun headphone to wear

22 hours ago, DisplayName101 said:

Hello World.

Meh! The hype over the SHP 9500 wasn't justified. They're the least versatile headphone I ever used. No bass. Okay mids. Shrill fatiguing highs. The SHP 9500 only sounded good with epic movie soundtracks. Because any music with some bass and a beat would sound flat and lifeless. But that doesn't stop them from being good gaming headphones. 

If you can afford the Sennheiser HD 558 or 559, they're hands down a much better headphone. They sound way smoother, have some bass (don't get high hopes it's still an open back) and just sound way more natural overall.