So I'm Curious

AMD's Driver updates (20.2.2) have been out a couple days and I'm hearing good things. I'm getting close to choosing a GPU for my first build and I've narrowed it down to a RTX 2060 or a 5600 XT (Or a 5700/ 2060 super depending on sales and promotions at the time, but that's not important). For some reason i feel more drawn to the 5600 XT, i guess because of the price to power, but these driver issues are honestly scaring me away as a first time builder, I'm really just looking to build the thing and have it working fine and only really play with more technical overclocking down the road if i really feel a need to. And so far it sounds like the 2060 is a safe choice for that, but i still cant ignore the 5600 xt. So i'm asking how are these new drivers from AMD are treating everyone? Also, are the issues people are having happening more to people who upgrading to Navi GPU's or to fresh builds, or is it a pretty even mix? Sorry if i rambled a bit, thanks in advance for the response.

"I'M ready to go, I'M already wet."

-Linus

after using AMD for a long time i will recommend you to go for Nvidia.

drivers issues are a lot common in AMD, and man they are a pain.

8 minutes ago, Danioki said:

after using AMD for a long time i will recommend you to go for Nvidia.

drivers issues are a lot common in AMD, and man they are a pain.

I only seem to have minor ones which I don't really use anyways (such as recording in hdr) otherwise I never have issues with the drivers. And I have both amd and Nvidia cards. 

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

Just now, miagisan said:

I only seem to have minor ones which I don't really use anyways (such as recording in hdr) otherwise I never have issues with the drivers. And I have both amd and Nvidia cards. 

after a year fighting with the "wattman" to try undervolt and lower the fan speeds, i resign to use only stocks configurations, because i'm always getting some config error and wattman going back to stock (even if it was in stock in the first time).

Just now, Caroline said:

There's nothing wrong with the drivers, it's just nv fanboys trying to create panic or they're simply too dumb to understand how to configure a computer.

btw I'm using the newest drivers without the control panel thingy, 0 issues

there has always been problem with drivers with AMD, it's not just a fanboy thing.

there is also problems with Nv drivers but they solve the problems much faster than AMD.

you are using the newest drivers because its what they did to patch the problems that they had. so I am guessing my friend who was in the USAF and worked with computers and said NEVER get anything AMD is just a NV fanboy.

I currently have an AMD radeon HD 6700 series from a prebuilt computer I had before I upgraded the system because it still worked fine then but now it having issues of screen slowing or freezing, black screen, or 1,5fps in some of the lowest graphic games on the lowest settings.

1 minute ago, tdkid said:

I am guessing my friend who was in the USAF and worked with computers and said NEVER get anything AMD is just a NV fanboy.

well maybe you are not wrong about him. ahahaha

3 minutes ago, Danioki said:

well maybe you are not wrong about him. ahahaha

well I am agreeing with you. I have been looking to upgrade my GPU and I have been looking at the rtx 2070 supers from EVGA

1 minute ago, tdkid said:

well I am agreeing with you. I have been looking to upgrade my GPU and I have been looking at the rtx 2070 supers from EVGA

i think it will e better to wait and see what happens in june with the 3000 series. is a win-win situation, you get a 3000 series or a 2000 series for lower prices.

1 minute ago, Danioki said:

i think it will e better to wait and see what happens in june with the 3000 series. is a win-win situation, you get a 3000 series or a 2000 series for lower prices.

I could but every once in a while now my GPU will only show a black screen when I switch from one HDMI like to my TV) and then back to my PC one. so I may not be able to wait until june for them and that is probably only going to be the announcement at conventions like E3 or other major tech related ones. and then have to wait another 2 months to a year before they make the mass market.

3 minutes ago, tdkid said:

I could but every once in a while now my GPU will only show a black screen when I switch from one HDMI like to my TV) and then back to my PC one. so I may not be able to wait until june for them and that is probably only going to be the announcement at conventions like E3 or other major tech related ones. and then have to wait another 2 months to a year before they make the mass market.

true :)

I have been looking at the rtx 2070 supers myself because they are within my budget and way overpowered so I will not have to update again next year or years to come.

If your going to stream get an nvidia card for the nvenc encoder. If it’s just for games it’s hard to argue with amd price to performance wise

I had a rx5700 and had nothing but trouble with it. I returned the card and amd put out drivers to fix it the next day. I ordered a sapphire pulse 5700xt that day and I’ve used it for a week now with 0 issues on the new drivers. 

Yes nvidia has been more stable with drivers from my experience. The rx5700 was the first amd card that I had driver issues with. I used a rx580 8gb for a year and never had an issue so when it came time to upgrade I went with amd again. I did use a rtx 2060, 2070 gtx 460 and a 8800gt and never had driver issues with those cards in particular but I’ve also used a hd4850 hd4870 and Rx580 with no issues in the past. 

I’m not trying to make excuses for them but I’m wondering if it has to do with the new rdna tech  why they had issues like this. It is new tech so I expect it to be a bumpy road just like ryzen was when it launched with ram speed, voltage being high and not dropping at idle. The one thing that makes me stick with them is the new consoles will have the rdna tech also and those have to work right. We’re talking about tons of systems sold and used by a bunch of non tech savvy people.  

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

and for the ones that think that we are fanboys, remember when Nvidia cards burned with Starcraft 2, any brand can have problems.

I would suggest you watch this video as it linus going over his picks for the best GPUs of 2019. at what you are looking at the 2060 would be better than the 5600 but the 5700 ties the 2060 with the 5700 being the best performer and the 2060 being the best features. $100 more and say thing. but the $500 range the 2070 super comes in and kicks ass. 

1 hour ago, Danioki said:

after a year fighting with the "wattman" to try undervolt and lower the fan speeds, i resign to use only stocks configurations, because i'm always getting some config error and wattman going back to stock (even if it was in stock in the first time).

Never had that issue. Guess I am just lucky. Currently have my 5700xt undervolted without any performance loss. It's nice and quiet. 

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

4 minutes ago, miagisan said:

Never had that issue. Guess I am just lucky. Currently have my 5700xt undervolted without any performance loss. It's nice and quiet. 

or i am unlucky :(

I swtiched from my rx580 to a 1080ti just because the amount of driver issues that existed. This is stil after the latest drivers. Have been an AMD user for a long time (ryzen is still a goto) but GPU wise go nvidia. Get a used 1080ti if you can

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

And I was at the mall and worked with computers as well but I guess that makes me an AMD fangrill because by this logic apparently jobs determine what brands you like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Problems is just too wide, be more specific

I am pretty sure the computers the USAF (united states air force) uses are more advanced than the ones you use in the mall. what he did was build, maintain and repair those computers so I am going to take his advice and stay way from the AMD stuff myself but you can do what you want to.

as for the drivers, there are too many to be specific. fans not running, low FPS on lowest graphic settings, black screen, the list goes on and on. now a lot of these have been solved or are being solved but when they are calling their update 20.2.2 when most start at 0.0.0X and go up. its not something I would want to deal with since its basically saying "we have found another little issue and gave it a patch".