The S20 ultra

Lord Vile
3 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

iPhone panels are made by Samsung apple just calibrates them correctly. 

Yeah sure...

Why are you still arguing about this? You like iPhones, cool. iPhone 11 Pro Max 512GB costs $1449. S20 Ultra 512GB costs $1599.

Let's pretend that the 5G modem licensing, extra RAM and better display reflect the $149 increase over the iPhone and call it a day. Seriously, you already said you don't want one, so just stop complaining about it. 

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

On 3/6/2020 at 8:56 AM, Lord Vile said:

First of all I will admit I am an iOS user not an android person at all but I’m utterly dumbfounded buy the S20 Ultras price. Compared to other phones the only things it has would be a bigger screen which you could argue makes it less useable, 5G which isn’t widely available and isn’t much better than 4G outside of mmW which is even rarer than normal 5G and a 120Hz screen. It’s cameras still lag the iPhone and Pixel phones, it still only gets Samsung’s normal level of support (so not much) and has nothing else going for it. I get phones are more expensive but just to put it into context it is TWICE the price of an iPhone 11 or pixel 4 which are both arguably better phones and in the iPhones case at least will be supported around 2-3x longer than Samsung commits to the galaxy line. Again with Samsung’s what 2 years support, going by the S8 still being stuck on android 9, that’s £700-800 per YEAR depending on what model you get. I know the iPhone 11 Pro Max is around the same price maxed out (something I also think is a stupid price I think £1000 is my personal limit) but that’s still £200-300 per year max as they support phones for normally 5 sometimes 6 years. 

Why are people buying a phone that just seems, well not very well thought out and ludicrously expensive for what it is? Can any android people point out to why because it’s just not making sense to me. 

The S20 Ultra retails for more than my first car, and if you want to know the reason there isn't one. Companies are pushing the boundaries when it comes to price, trying to find that ceiling where people will no longer be willing to fork over the cash. It seemingly hasn't been found yet. Both Apple and Android are guilty of this and frankly it's ridiculous. These companies are convincing people that they need a camera with sixteen lenses, 12GB of RAM, 5G and astronomical amounts of storage. All for what? To browse Facebook, text your friends with benefits and talk to grandma? Please. 99% of the population will never come close to utilizing this phone to its full potential, and a budget $200 device would serve them just fine.

I take it back, there might be a reason. Status. Phones aren't utilitarian or practical anymore, they're a status symbol. Perhaps that's your answer OP; people want the biggest baddest stick on the block and are willing to fork over a mortgage payment to make it happen. More power to 'em if they got the income, can't fault them for having some cash on hand. Good news is in a year no one will give a shit about the S20 Ultra and it'll be old news when the S21 or whatever comes out.

7 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

It it's closer than around a foot from your face you should be able to too. 

If you have a 27" monitor you'd be able to see pixels at 4K if your monitor is closer than 2ft~, I have a 24" 1440p monitor and obviously distinguish pixels when gaming and I'm only about 18" away but when I'm sat back watching something no at my keyboard I can't because Im like an extra foot away. Though mostly when doing everyday stuff I'm on my MacBook with a 3K screen and I can't really tell there.

You do know iPhone OLED screens are made by Samsung right? Apple just specifies the res, quality control, calibration etc which is what Samsung fucks up. The LCD are made by others though.

iPad pros have promotion already and retina quality screens, just needs to be brought over.

So no the note doesn't have Android 10 someones hacked it on. 

Rich ones will be going for the Z-Flip.

Prosumers of phones... It's not a PC, prosumer isn't a think becasuse phones aren't used for anything remotely professional in that sense, plus people who tinker with android generally go with the lower spec and cheaper phones because it's more fun.

Who the balls is that 3rd person? What phone would "pay for itself" what feature on the S20 Ultra would a professional use over I don't know, professional equipment? I can really see a professional photographer throwing away their DSLR, lens' etc and laptop for an S20 Ultra and DEX lol. 

How does the ultra take down the iPhone again? With its 120Hz 1080p screen and £800 a year for support?

There's a reason apple doesn't sell may phones in Asia? Import Tax is import tax they'd have to make a loss to sell them there competitively. I know expensive phones don't sell well in India anyway and in china the government funded Huawei dominate the market as everywhere else has massive tax slapped on them. That's a good what 80% of the asian population there? They're extremely popular in Japan though. Like a shade over 50% of the market popular.

Personally I can see most people getting by with 64GB of storage, I did until last year now I've just gotten carless. If I didn't have like near 60GB of music and 30GB of films and cut them down to say a more reasonable 15 apiece I'd still be under 64GB. Plus the upgrade isn't that much more.

Think about it though apple are 3rd in the smartphones sales market and they only make flagship priced phones, I wonder what the figures would look like if you only counted Samsung and Huawei salesroom their top tier phones.

First, you don't see pixels based on resolution but rather on the basis of ppi (Pixel per inch). The 1080p panels are already so sharp that you won't see pixels at all. 

You know why Apple uses Samsung panels? Because they make the best panels in the game. Samsung also calibrates their displays excellently. You should make these comments only after having experienced it. They are so accurate to a point where I can trust it with editing my photos on. 

And yes the rich ones will go for the Z Flip AND the Ultra too. One phone doesn't completely fill a category, there has to be multiple devices. 

The Prosumers are real. I am one. People who shoot B-Roll from their phones, like Micheal Fisher, people who edit photos on phones. And yes, sometimes I do ditch the Hasselblad to take photos from my Note 10, not preferable, but I have shots from my Note 10 on my portfolio. 

Do you understand what tinkering means? Going into the camera and using the Pro mode, using your phone heavily throughout the day. 

And how does it matter why Apple prices are higher, we are the end user, we know that it's higher. It's not our fault that Samsung is cheaper in most regions of the world than Apple. Giving why Apple is expensive isn't an argument, that doesn't change the fact. 

I can right now get a 512gb Ultra at roughly $1219 and a 256gb Pro Max at $1995. See the difference? I don't care why it's there I care that it's there. 

And weren't you the one who wanted to use his phone for 3-4 years and was talking about fairness in price? Well a 64gb phone is by no means future proof especially if you take photos with your phone which you seem to have a use of. Also having 5G will come in handy in future that I said before too but you didn't address this point in your reply

5 hours ago, Abhinav2003 said:

First, you don't see pixels based on resolution but rather on the basis of ppi (Pixel per inch). The 1080p panels are already so sharp that you won't see pixels at all. 

You know why Apple uses Samsung panels? Because they make the best panels in the game. Samsung also calibrates their displays excellently. You should make these comments only after having experienced it. They are so accurate to a point where I can trust it with editing my photos on. 

And yes the rich ones will go for the Z Flip AND the Ultra too. One phone doesn't completely fill a category, there has to be multiple devices. 

The Prosumers are real. I am one. People who shoot B-Roll from their phones, like Micheal Fisher, people who edit photos on phones. And yes, sometimes I do ditch the Hasselblad to take photos from my Note 10, not preferable, but I have shots from my Note 10 on my portfolio. 

Do you understand what tinkering means? Going into the camera and using the Pro mode, using your phone heavily throughout the day. 

And how does it matter why Apple prices are higher, we are the end user, we know that it's higher. It's not our fault that Samsung is cheaper in most regions of the world than Apple. Giving why Apple is expensive isn't an argument, that doesn't change the fact. 

I can right now get a 512gb Ultra at roughly $1219 and a 256gb Pro Max at $1995. See the difference? I don't care why it's there I care that it's there. 

And weren't you the one who wanted to use his phone for 3-4 years and was talking about fairness in price? Well a 64gb phone is by no means future proof especially if you take photos with your phone which you seem to have a use of. Also having 5G will come in handy in future that I said before too but you didn't address this point in your reply

But the same PPI at different distances is completely different.

Who?

Would love to see what the note 10 coughed up, send em or a link and I'll change my display to P3.

Samsung isn't cheaper in most regions of the world, in Asia yes outside of Japan but I suppose apple put stuff into iPhones for the Japanese market. 

You've heard of cloud storage right?

I've addressed it multiple times, 5G is not significantly better than LTE outside of mmW which is not widespread even in built up areas and can be cut off by literally anything. It might be worth it in 3/4 years but you'll be looking at an upgrade by that point the s20 won't last three years anyway. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

13 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

Why are you still arguing about this? You like iPhones, cool. iPhone 11 Pro Max 512GB costs $1449. S20 Ultra 512GB costs $1599.

Let's pretend that the 5G modem licensing, extra RAM and better display reflect the $149 increase over the iPhone and call it a day. Seriously, you already said you don't want one, so just stop complaining about it. 

First of all I think the Pro Max is stupid too, secondly if you pay for 512GB of storage on a phone just why? do you have 50 movies on your phone at all times?, third why are you comparing RAM on different OS', finally why aren't you taking into account that android is a free OS and doesn't factor into the cost of the phone at all and iOS does? + the Samsung has 2 years of support so 800 per year the iPhone has at least 5 so under 300 per year. 

Screen is debatable, 5G is borderline a negative and the iPhone has a better camera. So we can pretend that those things are worth the price difference but in reality they aren't, if anything the "these features justify the price" argument falls the other way so what you want.

2 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Just cut it out. Bye apple. Enjoy life.

5 minutes ago, EL02 said:

Just cut it out. Bye apple. Enjoy life.

Or I mean if you want an android phone you could buy a Pixel or OnePlus, at least they're honest with their advertising. 

1 hour ago, Lord Vile said:

But the same PPI at different distances is completely different.

Who?

Would love to see what the note 10 coughed up, send em or a link and I'll change my display to P3.

Samsung isn't cheaper in most regions of the world, in Asia yes outside of Japan but I suppose apple put stuff into iPhones for the Japanese market. 

You've heard of cloud storage right?

I've addressed it multiple times, 5G is not significantly better than LTE outside of mmW which is not widespread even in built up areas and can be cut off by literally anything. It might be worth it in 3/4 years but you'll be looking at an upgrade by that point the s20 won't last three years anyway. 

What different distances? If you haven't experienced a Samsung display, why not look into the literal thousand reviews and find me one that doesn't say the the Ultra has the best screen on the market. Period

What "Who?" I didn't get it sorry. 

IMG_20200302_024657.thumb.jpg.ca4092c177879540c5d94f4a5bb614c7.jpgLRM_EXPORT_1135337688405962_20191213_194047331.thumb.jpeg.319a53b7bb2303481896017f93271f6e.jpegIMG_20190929_165754.thumb.jpg.ef42e201df8e07e699c985189322d00c.jpgLRM_EXPORT_1063461048512026_20191212_135420928.thumb.jpeg.386b55ac8f61ad79461618f99a23752b.jpeg

First photo: S20 Ultra 256gb (so I can not have storage anxiety and bought for significantly less the an iPhone)

Second photo: Note 10 (Ultrawide cropped in post)

Third photo: Note 10 (Wide lens)

Fourth photo: Note 10 (Ultrawide)

And yes, iPhone is expensive in Japan as well, not that much but significantly, in Australia and the rest of Asia as of my knowledge. The fact that it's is expensive.

In the storage thing, what kind of an argument is that 64gb is enough. You ain't paying the rent here so I should decide how much storage I need. If I'm going to but a 256gb variant 11 Pro it will cost a lot of money.  That's the point. 

And if I was not a geek I wouldn't upgrade from the S20 in 3 years. No way. My Note 8 works fantastically still today. There are no problems. I still use every now and then. 

I'm not saying the iPhone is bad. But again, saying the Ultra is a worst phone is wrong. If you're going to deny that, give a good point. 

On 3/9/2020 at 1:47 PM, Abhinav2003 said:

What different distances? If you haven't experienced a Samsung display, why not look into the literal thousand reviews and find me one that doesn't say the the Ultra has the best screen on the market. Period

What "Who?" I didn't get it sorry. 

IMG_20200302_024657.thumb.jpg.ca4092c177879540c5d94f4a5bb614c7.jpgLRM_EXPORT_1135337688405962_20191213_194047331.thumb.jpeg.319a53b7bb2303481896017f93271f6e.jpegIMG_20190929_165754.thumb.jpg.ef42e201df8e07e699c985189322d00c.jpgLRM_EXPORT_1063461048512026_20191212_135420928.thumb.jpeg.386b55ac8f61ad79461618f99a23752b.jpeg

First photo: S20 Ultra 256gb (so I can not have storage anxiety and bought for significantly less the an iPhone)

Second photo: Note 10 (Ultrawide cropped in post)

Third photo: Note 10 (Wide lens)

Fourth photo: Note 10 (Ultrawide)

And yes, iPhone is expensive in Japan as well, not that much but significantly, in Australia and the rest of Asia as of my knowledge. The fact that it's is expensive.

In the storage thing, what kind of an argument is that 64gb is enough. You ain't paying the rent here so I should decide how much storage I need. If I'm going to but a 256gb variant 11 Pro it will cost a lot of money.  That's the point. 

And if I was not a geek I wouldn't upgrade from the S20 in 3 years. No way. My Note 8 works fantastically still today. There are no problems. I still use every now and then. 

I'm not saying the iPhone is bad. But again, saying the Ultra is a worst phone is wrong. If you're going to deny that, give a good point. 

I was literally in a phone shop going from the ultra to the Pro + Pro Max the other day and at 1080p setting isn't good.

God I forgot how bad the note 10 is, so noisy. The S20 is a better camera than the Note 10 but not that's not impressive. Honestly I think I have better skyline type photos on my XR

1 hour ago, Lord Vile said:

I was literally in a phone shop going from the ultra to the Pro + Pro Max the other day and at 1080p setting isn't good.

God I forgot how bad the note 10 is, so noisy. The S20 is a better camera than the Note 10 but not that's not impressive. Honestly I think I have better skyline type photos on my XR

What part of the them do you find noisy? Only the last image which was quite literally pitch black and was lit only by a lightning, hence the purple colour, which I manage to capture. What about the rest? The leaf shot? And why don't you show your XR shots, would like to see them. 

And you didn't reply to the quality of the Ultra's screen and maybe didn't feel the need to go through the reviews I guess?

What about the storage thing?

What about the connectivity thing?

What about the price thing? You seem to have missed those

3 hours ago, Abhinav2003 said:

What part of the them do you find noisy? Only the last image which was quite literally pitch black and was lit only by a lightning, hence the purple colour, which I manage to capture. What about the rest? The leaf shot? And why don't you show your XR shots, would like to see them. 

And you didn't reply to the quality of the Ultra's screen and maybe didn't feel the need to go through the reviews I guess?

Bottom edge of KitKat, bottom of leaf,literally everything apart from the bottom right hand corner of the street and pretty much all of the last one. I'll put some up in a bit I'll just grab some from holiday in summer.

When it's at 1080p it's crap, feels nice at 120Hz but the res kills it and tbh the Pixel 4 is just as good with the 90Hz screen.

What storage thing?

5G? I think I've stated multiple times it isn't worth the upgrade and may even be a negative, at least for now until the modems can get more power efficient. 

I feel I have answered those just earlier. Pose the questions again please I can't remember what you asked.

5 hours ago, Abhinav2003 said:

The Hogwarts one is from an iPhone SE btw so has the same camera as the 6S, couldn't find a night photo taken on the SE that didn't have someone in it so aye well. But aside from the SE photo this wasn't even apples best camera in 2018, the 11 with deep fusion would clear so much of these up.

Also these are all taken point and shoot, just stood still, took the photo and moved on. 

All of these images are being compressed though they look a lot better in my folder.

IMG_0662.thumb.JPEG.b6a5955b279e13b4026ae50eb26cfff5.JPEGIMG_2359.thumb.JPG.f8ca5af0e4af58ce8df20d690257f801.JPGIMG_0674.thumb.JPEG.f7f38a25e6d04f618736de9b2304e081.JPEG0cb25cb3-3ef1-42bd-a062-c79ec539b96e.thumb.jpg.a5cd4ecc403b74cf7ad9432fab9489d5.jpg

Well I read the entire thread and wow, I haven't seen this kind of sheep vs fandroids battle in a while. Dude, Lord, I'm sorry but the pics you posted as some kind of proof are just bad, all around, it's not even a fair fight. Now, my wife has an iPhone 11 Pro Max, and it does take nice pictures, and so does my Note 10+. I just don't get what the point of this argument is? Apple and Samsung don't make phones to compete with each other anymore, almost no one switches platforms anymore. We all use what we like, and stick with it. Their biggest challenge now is to sell new phones to their existing user base, so they go overboard with new features to somehow convince us to upgrade. Limiting OS updates to two is part of that effort. Samsung doesn't hide that, and Apple deliberately cripples their phones' performance after a couple of years, it's a well knows fact too. Plus no more major OS updates doesn't mean there is no more support. I have devices still running on Android 7 and Samsung still pushes security updates to them periodically. 

I also have an iPhone 11, and use it as work phone, and it does have a lot of great features and not a bad phone in any way, but my main daily driver is always going to be a Samsung. I just like them more. Who cares what device can take better pictures, Pixel, or iPhone, or Samsung... they're all great, and I guarantee no one cross shops those devices based on the camera quality alone.

The OP is obviously either jealous and worried about Samsung's new phones, and trying to justify somehow why his choice is better (and why? who cares?), or secretly wants the S20 Ultra and is either stuck in the ecosystem or stuck with monthly payments, or simply can't afford it right now and again, just trying (way too hard, honestly) to prove to everyone, but mostly to himself, that no one should want that device.  

58 minutes ago, drumn_bass said:

Apple deliberately cripples their phones' performance after a couple of years, it's a well knows fact too.

I'm sorry to call you out on an otherwise reasoned argument, but this is explicitly false.

Apple throttles performance when the battery health dips below a certain threshold, regardless of how long it's been used.  It's not doing this to "cripple" the phone and force you to buy a new one; it's doing this so that your phone doesn't risk spontaneously shutting down (you know, so you can keep using it for longer).  It's strictly optional if you're willing to accept that risk.

5 minutes ago, Commodus said:

I'm sorry to call you out on an otherwise reasoned argument, but this is explicitly false.

Apple throttles performance when the battery health dips below a certain threshold, regardless of how long it's been used.  It's not doing this to "cripple" the phone and force you to buy a new one; it's doing this so that your phone doesn't risk spontaneously shutting down (you know, so you can keep using it for longer).  It's strictly optional if you're willing to accept that risk.

It's a convenient excuse from Apple (don't they always come up with one?), sure not exactly two years, but that's what it feels like for most affected users. And Apple never told its users about this "feature" until they got called out. They even replaced a bunch of batteries for small fee just to make users forget about this whole thing. I didn't bring this up to start another round of Apple vs Samsung fights, but only to point out that all of them want people to upgrade to new phones, they just do it in different ways, and some are more honest than others.

"It's strictly optional if you're willing to accept that risk."

It wasn't until they got caught, right?

1 hour ago, drumn_bass said:

Well I read the entire thread and wow, I haven't seen this kind of sheep vs fandroids battle in a while. Dude, Lord, I'm sorry but the pics you posted as some kind of proof are just bad, all around, it's not even a fair fight. Now, my wife has an iPhone 11 Pro Max, and it does take nice pictures, and so does my Note 10+. I just don't get what the point of this argument is? Apple and Samsung don't make phones to compete with each other anymore, almost no one switches platforms anymore. We all use what we like, and stick with it. Their biggest challenge now is to sell new phones to their existing user base, so they go overboard with new features to somehow convince us to upgrade. Limiting OS updates to two is part of that effort. Samsung doesn't hide that, and Apple deliberately cripples their phones' performance after a couple of years, it's a well knows fact too. Plus no more major OS updates doesn't mean there is no more support. I have devices still running on Android 7 and Samsung still pushes security updates to them periodically. 

I also have an iPhone 11, and use it as work phone, and it does have a lot of great features and not a bad phone in any way, but my main daily driver is always going to be a Samsung. I just like them more. Who cares what device can take better pictures, Pixel, or iPhone, or Samsung... they're all great, and I guarantee no one cross shops those devices based on the camera quality alone.

The OP is obviously either jealous and worried about Samsung's new phones, and trying to justify somehow why his choice is better (and why? who cares?), or secretly wants the S20 Ultra and is either stuck in the ecosystem or stuck with monthly payments, or simply can't afford it right now and again, just trying (way too hard, honestly) to prove to everyone, but mostly to himself, that no one should want that device.  

I 100% agree with you. I'm not saying that the 11 Pro is bad. My girlfriend switched to the  XR and it's a great phone. The entire 11 series is a great lineup from Apple. I am Mac user myself and I don't hate Apple in any way.

But putting out weird, unrelated and useless arguments why the Ultra is inferior to the 11 is unbearable to me. Both are good in their own ways and I fully agree to that. 

I could put a better argument for the iPhone than him. Not accepting facts just pisses me off and I can't let that go

2 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

The Hogwarts one is from an iPhone SE btw so has the same camera as the 6S, couldn't find a night photo taken on the SE that didn't have someone in it so aye well. But aside from the SE photo this wasn't even apples best camera in 2018, the 11 with deep fusion would clear so much of these up.

Also these are all taken point and shoot, just stood still, took the photo and moved on. 

All of these images are being compressed though they look a lot better in my folder.

IMG_0662.thumb.JPEG.b6a5955b279e13b4026ae50eb26cfff5.JPEGIMG_2359.thumb.JPG.f8ca5af0e4af58ce8df20d690257f801.JPGIMG_0674.thumb.JPEG.f7f38a25e6d04f618736de9b2304e081.JPEG0cb25cb3-3ef1-42bd-a062-c79ec539b96e.thumb.jpg.a5cd4ecc403b74cf7ad9432fab9489d5.jpg

The first photo has messed up colors. Second one is incredibly noisy, third one is......of what? The fourth one lacks detain high time. This is called criticising photos not just saying the "Oh one photo is noisy so I'm going to ignore everything else"

Also when are you going to reply to the rest of my points? 

Also waiting for the XR shots assuming those aren't a bluff

11 minutes ago, Abhinav2003 said:

The first photo has messed up colors. Second one is incredibly noisy, third one is......of what? The fourth one lacks detain high time. This is called criticising photos not just saying the "Oh one photo is noisy so I'm going to ignore everything else"

Even my $140 smartphone shoots better photos than those.

18 minutes ago, EL02 said:

Even my $140 smartphone shoots better photos than those.

I know right. There's barely any clarity at all, the white balance seems to be at like 8000K. 

But if it's a SE shot, can't really complain. Pretty good for when the thing was was launched 

2 minutes ago, Abhinav2003 said:

I know right. There's barely any clarity at all, the white balance seems to be at like 8000K. 

But if it's a SE shot, can't really complain. Pretty good for when the thing was was launched 

Yeah, BuT LeTs tAlK AbOuT tHe PrIcE Of The SE.

40 minutes ago, Abhinav2003 said:

Having taken the first photo no they're not. 

The second is on an SE and isn't as noisy as the note 10.

Third is actually a birds nest but included it because of the shadow being a nightmare for phone cameras

Also these are literally photos I've pulled from iCloud, they have no camera work at all it's literally point and shoot. They're all better than the Note 10 by a landslide, even the SE. Plus they're all in natural light which is why you're probably confused rather than the ones shown clearly in artificial light.

BTW what screen are you looking at these on? 

2 minutes ago, EL02 said:

Yeah, BuT LeTs tAlK AbOuT tHe PrIcE Of The SE.

SE was actually stupidly good value at launch, essentially a 6s for 200 less.

Lets see the $140 smartphone then 

8 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Having taken the first photo no they're not. 

The second is on an SE and isn't as noisy as the note 10.

Third is actually a birds nest but included it because of the shadow being a nightmare for phone cameras

Also these are literally photos I've pulled from iCloud, they have no camera work at all it's literally point and shoot. They're all better than the Note 10 by a landslide, even the SE. Plus they're all in natural light which is why you're probably confused rather than the ones shown clearly in artificial light.

BTW what screen are you looking at these on? 

Ahem. Why don't you read the rest of the replies judging on the photos~ An actual photographer who does this for a living (sent and viewed on the 2019 15" MacBook Pro)

Sincerely waiting for your XR shots and reply to the REST of the parts of my reply

Also, I only used an Aperture 50d for the Kit-Kat shot, everything else is natural light. The rain shot is completely lights from the buildings and street light in very dark conditions, what do you have to say about that shot? The last shot is literally lit by a lightning. Literally. The leaf shot is an outdoor shot

And please read and reply to the entire reply